Fangmei ruins Shenmue 2 (tbh)

(Chapters 3-6)

Fangmei ruins Shenmue 2 (tbh)

Postby Shibiryo » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:06 pm

To be honest, Fangmei ruined Shenmue 2. I think that if she had not been there, I would have much more fonder memories of the game because she can be annoying and so out of context. Every time I see her in the game I actually don't like it which is why I don't do her quests or even talk to her for that matter. I just don't care about this little kid, I can sympathise for her being an orphan but this crazy little bitch ruins the nostalgia factor and strong scenery of the second game. Only if she was of small importance or something else.

I'm not asking for you to agree, I'm just saying that Shenmue 2 could of been more serious and as more majestic than ever if Fangmei never showed up. I honestly don't find her memorable or any more nostalgic than the first 2 and a half minutes of the trailer which brings me so close to the game.

Just watch this beautiful and majestic Shenmue 2 trailer and just see how it's all ruined when they start showing off Fangmei, I lose myself to another world although the music still shivers my spine. So much nostalgia.

phpBB [video]
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Re: Fangmei ruins Shenmue 2 (tbh)

Postby Zoltor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:29 pm

That's a sacrilege, I can't believe you can say such evil things sigh.

PS. The Japanese voice for her is so much better(the English VA makes Fangmei sound like she's 9 years old), maybe that's your problem, have you played the Pal version of 2, perhaps that will help?

Zoltor has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shibiryo » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:40 pm

Yes, I actually do own PAL Shenmue 2 and the Japnese Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast and completed them first but I much prefer the English Dub and Xbox 360 version and no its not particularly because of Fangmei's voice that I hate her, it's her existence. I know thats evil but why does she have to appear in the game. It's sort of like a joke (forget the english dub being a joke, corey marshall IS ryo for gods sake) since she is just constantly bugging Ryo and the player with her kiddish role and how she wakes Ryo up every time, for fucks sake get out of here woman!
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Zoltor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:27 pm

Shibiryo wrote: Yes, I actually do own PAL Shenmue 2 and the Japnese Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast and completed them first but I much prefer the English Dub and Xbox 360 version and no its not particularly because of Fangmei's voice that I hate her, it's her existence. I know thats evil but why does she have to appear in the game. It's sort of like a joke (forget the english dub being a joke, corey marshall IS ryo for gods sake) since she is just constantly bugging Ryo and the player with her kiddish role and how she wakes Ryo up every time, for fucks sake get out of here woman!

Ok.

Well if you're looking for some super logical reason for someone to exist(lol, are you really asking us the meaning of life), I suppose you can look at it, as Fangmei's being helps show off that Xuiying actually has a heart somewhere deep inside of her, for stuff that doesn't just revolve around her brother.

How can you pick on Fangmei, there's a lot more reason for her to exist, then Fuku, and Nozomi, why don't you go pick on them :)
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:40 pm

Huh?

Isn't Fangmei existentially supposed to be a foil to Ryo?

Despite losing her parents, Fangmei lives life with joy and thinks of its pure possibilities. Ryo, however, has become hellbent on revenge and has distanced himself from everyone he has ever loved.

The entire point of Fangmei's character is to show that life doesn't end just because you are without parents. In fact, she says this plainly when you talk to her.

Xiuying is another foil to Ryo, but Fangmei is just another take. Fangmei is a pretty important character for that reason. She exists as a contrast to Ryo to show that life is possible to live even when you think everything is taken from you, which is the core message of the Shenmue saga.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Zoltor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:01 pm

Himuro wrote: Huh?

Isn't Fangmei existentially supposed to be a foil to Ryo?

Despite losing her parents, Fangmei lives life with joy and thinks of its pure possibilities. Ryo, however, has become hellbent on revenge and has distanced himself from everyone he has ever loved.

The entire point of Fangmei's character is to show that life doesn't end just because you are without parents. In fact, she says this plainly when you talk to her.

Xiuying is another foil to Ryo, but Fangmei is just another take. Fangmei is a pretty important character for that reason. She exists as a contrast to Ryo to show that life is possible to live even when you think everything is taken from you, which is the core message of the Shenmue saga.

Yea that's definitely true as well.

I swear just because storyline wise, fangmei is suppose to be a support character to Xuiying, people underrate her importance so much.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Scrounder » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Himuro wrote:Despite losing her parents, Fangmei lives life with joy and thinks of its pure possibilities. Ryo, however, has become hellbent on revenge and has distanced himself from everyone he has ever loved.

I thought she was hiding the fact she's sad according to this video around 4:10:

phpBB [video]

Unless this fortune teller is so crazy she's lying about Fangmei.

Scrounder has received a thanks from: Himuro
Scrounder
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:38 pm

That's the same lady who tells you she loves you. Going to watch later.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Zoltor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Himuro wrote: That's the same lady who tells you she loves you. Going to watch later.

^This.

That fortune teller has a major jealousy issue, she sees Ryo as being literally her property, and the scary thing is, she's not afraid to more or less state such.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:50 pm

Fangmei is one of the best characters for me (beats Ren by a lot in my book). Her subquest is awesome, she has the balls to say that she loves Ryo (only girl in the series), and the "crying behind a smile" is a nice trope.

The only thing is that maybe she acts too much like a child, but young girls tend to act like that when they have a crush.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:53 pm

I always think shenmue never had any moe cutetsy type characters but i always forget about fangmei, she comes quite close. I dont hate her but she is kinda meh imo, im not the biggest fan of cutesy characters expecially in anime but she thankfully isnt that big of a character to hinder any of my enjoyment of Shenmue 2.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:15 pm

Scrounder wrote:
Himuro wrote:Despite losing her parents, Fangmei lives life with joy and thinks of its pure possibilities. Ryo, however, has become hellbent on revenge and has distanced himself from everyone he has ever loved.

I thought she was hiding the fact she's sad according to this video around 4:10:

phpBB [video]

Unless this fortune teller is so crazy she's lying about Fangmei.

Hiding the fact you're sad and acting on that sadness to go on a journey of murder and revenge are two different things.

Fangmei has plenty of friends and support. I think the fortune teller lies due to jealousy. In no way was Fangmei ever a burden.

Also, the fact Fangmei hides her sadness is still ultimately a foil to Ryo, who doesn't know what to do with his sadness. The entire point, I feel, is to show how many characters react to sadness and loneliness to contrast with Ryo and the many paths he can take. Ine-san deals with her depression by cleaning all day and making sure the Hazuki residence operates as Iwao wished it. Fuku deals with his depression by funneling his sadness into his martial arts and practicing everyday to be the student Iwao wished him to be. Fangmei lost her parents and was placed in an orphanage. She honors the caretaker that adopted her every day by showing her gratitude to her temple and her faith. Wong and Ren are also orphans; both turned to crime to deal with their lack of needs. Xiuying not only had her parents murdered, but she lost her brother as he was driven to revenge. Instead of lashing out and going with him, she turned to religion and martial arts as a manner of dealing with her demons. Shenhua never knew her original parents, and has a stepdad. She deals with life knowing the only way she knows how and is pretty happy. Lan Di let his anger stew for decades to exact his revenge. His father was murdered, and he turned to crime and martial arts.

Mostly every character of import has their own demons that are relatable to Ryo's struggle for vengeance. The important thing to grasp is that they've all gone in their own ways of handling death and sadness. Shenmue is a story about Ryo Hazuki and the "potential that could either destroy him or realize his will." Mostly every character is there as a foil to show THEY handle their own personal demons to help Ryo along his path.

Expect Ling Ling to be another foil

Ultimately, how Fangmei feels isn't important - it's what she DOES - that's important for Ryo to learn a lesson from.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Scrounder
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Thief » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:32 am

Personally I think Fang Mei is probably the strongest character in the game, and my favorite in the series, so I don't think I can quite agree that she ruins Shenmue 2. Just because a person has light-hearted characteristics doesn't mean they aren't a "serious" character. I can understand if you just don't like her for whatever reason, I'm sure we all have those feelings about particular characters sometimes, but to say she ruins Shenmue 2 seems like a bit of an overreaction.

Also, Shenmue is not the type of game with which to be worried about nostalgia -- nostalgia is reserved for the forgotten things that occasionally remind us of our youth. Shenmue is too good to be used as merely a means for some fleeting feeling of the past. I think it should be played and enjoyed.

Thief has received 4 thanks from: Himuro, Sonoshee, Yokosuka, Zoltor
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:52 am

Thief wrote: Personally I think Fang Mei is probably the strongest character in the game, and my favorite in the series, so I don't think I can quite agree that she ruins Shenmue 2. Just because a person has light-hearted characteristics doesn't mean they aren't a "serious" character. I can understand if you just don't like her for whatever reason, I'm sure we all have those feelings about particular characters sometimes, but to say she ruins Shenmue 2 seems like a bit of an overreaction.

Also, Shenmue is not the type of game with which to be worried about nostalgia -- nostalgia is reserved for the forgotten things that occasionally remind us of our youth. Shenmue is too good to be used as merely a means for some fleeting feeling of the past. I think it should be played and enjoyed.

Yea I agree.

Also Fangmei is a exceedingly serious character actually, look at the discussions she has with Ryo for instance, she says some very thought provoking things, It's Ryo who's a damn moron at times though(poor Fangmei), then the depth of her character all around, is the best in the series "so far" (there are signs that lead me to believe, Shenhua is going to be even more complex of a char in Shenemue 3 then Fangmei is in 2).
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:31 pm

I really didn't see her role in the story important enough to be able to ruin anything to be honest.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Mr357
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Next

Return to Shenmue II