Which version has better graphics?

(Chapters 3-6)

Which version has better graphics?

Postby Shibiryo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:12 am

I keep watching this video and I can't tell which one looks better. Help me decide, what one looks better to you? it's messing with my brain lol

phpBB [video]
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Re: Which version has better graphics?

Postby Scrounder » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:17 am

I always preferred the Dreamcast version. Sure the Xbox has steroids water and Ryo's jacket has better textures, but there's none of that hardcore and dramatic bloom during night on DC. Also the fights on Xbox had so much motion blur it felt like every battle was in GTA 4's drunk mode.
Scrounder
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Shibiryo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:22 am

Scrounder wrote: I always preferred the Dreamcast version. Sure the Xbox has steroids water and Ryo's jacket has better textures, but there's none of that hardcore and dramatic bloom during night on DC. Also the fights on Xbox had so much motion blur it felt like every battle was in GTA 4's drunk mode.

the colours look oversaturated and look more cartoony in xbox vs shenmue's more natural hue. am i crazy.. I honestly thought xbox shenmue was better because the colors where more natural-correct but meh I still cant decide. The water is a looker but it seems more natural on the DC since even the text shows up proper. I have spotted that the sun shines more brighter on the xbox version however.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Mr357 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:45 am

If you're on original hardware, Dreamcast, but the Xbox version played on a 360 looks great. Of course, you can't beat the DC version at 1080p on an emu.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby alexh86 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:59 pm

The Xbox version is probably a little better, at 1:47, for instance, you can see the lighting effect that you don't have on the Dreamcast version. There are little touches like that throughout the game. Personally, I prefer the Dreamcast version since you can carry your save over and a Sega console just feels more like the true home of the game. If you want to speak just about graphics in a vacuum, however, Xbox is probably a little bit better.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:41 am

I always thought that xbox had very saturated colors and the night was too damn bloomy (I actually played with the less color filter and saturated the color on the tv) and DC just looked more crisp.

But in this video I like more the xbox version.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby sand4fish » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:07 am

Graphically the Xbox version is slightly superior texture wise alone. But you must notice that the Xbox game changed in-game elements like building structures and billboards, not as enhancements but pure aesthetics by the localization team. So if you take fidelity into account (though small), the one game that carries the original vision of Shenmue's Hong Kong is definitely the Dreamcast version.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:48 am

the dreamcast version looks better when played through vga and it looks better by a lot. not even close imo

drunkensailor has received 4 thanks from: Anthony817, Esppiral, Sonne2, Zoltor
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Tuet0ne » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:48 pm

I would say the Xbox has the better graphics but the Japanese voice track more than makes up for it in the Dreamcast version.
Tuet0ne
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Tuet0ne
Currently playing: AC Syndicate

Postby KiBa » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:19 am

It depends on what you prefer. Assuming you mean running each with default equipment and regulat TV, DC has crisper textures overall (just look at any brick surface in each version to see the difference in resolution), but the Xbox has pretty animated water textures and, more controversially, a bloom lighting effect most noticeable at night. Some people hate bloom, but I love the dramatic diffused effect it gives to Hong Kong nights, like a neo-noir (Polanski's Chinatown, for example), which is what Shenmue sort of is plus kung fu.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Painmaster212 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:28 pm

The Youtube channel Gamesack did a comparison clip in one of their videos with both versions, the DC using S Video and the Xbox a using component cable and it was unreal the difference between the two! Maybe just because of motion blur since there was alot of movement in most scenes?

Here's the video for anyone interested.

https://youtu.be/PX0cRztKrRs?t=14m41s
Painmaster212
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: LOH: Trails In The Sky SC

Postby BlueMue » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Really the only major thing that's a definite improvement in the Xbox version are the shadows as they are cast by objects and buildings too and not just from characters.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby johnvivant » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:28 pm

BlueMue wrote: Really the only major thing that's a definite improvement in the Xbox version are the shadows as they are cast by objects and buildings too and not just from characters.

and the frame-rate.

i used to think the xbox water effects were better, but as the years have gone on i don't believe they have aged well, and it seems even more artificial than the dreamcast's equivalent.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SMDzero » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:16 am

johnvivant wrote:
BlueMue wrote: Really the only major thing that's a definite improvement in the Xbox version are the shadows as they are cast by objects and buildings too and not just from characters.

and the frame-rate.

i used to think the xbox water effects were better, but as the years have gone on i don't believe they have aged well, and it seems even more artificial than the dreamcast's equivalent.

THIS^^

I never like the squiggly water graphics on Xbox. It just didn't fit with the rest of the games's graphics style.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:52 am

Painmaster212 wrote: The Youtube channel Gamesack did a comparison clip in one of their videos with both versions, the DC using S Video and the Xbox a using component cable and it was unreal the difference between the two! Maybe just because of motion blur since there was alot of movement in most scenes?

Here's the video for anyone interested.

https://youtu.be/PX0cRztKrRs?t=14m41s

I like gamesack and all but why in the hell would you show dreamcast using s-video? rgb and vga are way superior.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Next

Return to Shenmue II