PAL version of Shenmue 2 version in Japanese? Confused

(Chapters 3-6)

PAL version of Shenmue 2 version in Japanese? Confused

Postby Ryno4 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi all.

After holding off for as long as possible, I decided to jump in a buy a copy of Shenmue 2 on EBay. It set me back over £60 but I just had to play it again. It's been over ten years since I played it last.

I received the game today in the post. The cardboard case looked in great condition. The discs, especially disc 3, looks chewed on to be honest, despite it being classed as 'good condition'. I thought I'd see if it worked anyway.

After watching Ryo depart the boat to touch down in Hong Kong, I was very surprised to hear him speaking in Japanese!

Now I understand that there was a Japanese version of the game, but I'm 99% sure that PAL shenmue 2 was in English with Corey Marshall. There are English subtitles, and an English game menu.

Am I missing something here? Was shenmue 2 always on Japanese? We're there 2 versions?

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could help me.

Thanks.
Ryno4
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Shmemoon
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: PAL version of Shenmue 2 version in Japanese? Confused

Postby Amir » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Ryno4 wrote: Hi all.

After holding off for as long as possible, I decided to jump in a buy a copy of Shenmue 2 on EBay. It set me back over £60 but I just had to play it again. It's been over ten years since I played it last.

I received the game today in the post. The cardboard case looked in great condition. The discs, especially disc 3, looks chewed on to be honest, despite it being classed as 'good condition'. I thought I'd see if it worked anyway.

After watching Ryo depart the boat to touch down in Hong Kong, I was very surprised to hear him speaking in Japanese!

Now I understand that there was a Japanese version of the game, but I'm 99% sure that PAL shenmue 2 was in English with Corey Marshall. There are English subtitles, and an English game menu.

Am I missing something here? Was shenmue 2 always on Japanese? We're there 2 versions?

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could help me.

Thanks.

The Dreamcast version is Japanese dub with English sub, the Xbox version is English dub. There's a fan-made Shenmue 2 for Dreamcast with English dub out there (though audio quality has been lowered to fit on CD-Rs).

Amir has received a thanks from: Ryno4
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Re: PAL version of Shenmue 2 version in Japanese? Confused

Postby Ryno4 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:58 pm

Oohhhh. I did play I on Xbox now you mention it. Shenmue 1 has English dub on dreamcast.

I was getting my wires crossed.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Amir.
Ryno4

PSN: Shmemoon
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Rocket League

Return to Shenmue II