Bought a faulty copy of Shenmue 2

(Chapters 3-6)

Bought a faulty copy of Shenmue 2

Postby Ryno4 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:58 pm

It's a crying shame that the game that I have been waiting to play for months arrived and it doesn't work.

I bought it from an honest seller on eBay, with 100% positive feedback. The game was listed in 'good' condition. The slipcase looks immaculate, and the booklets and cases look great. It's just a shame that the discs themselves are covered in scratches, causing a blank data error screen to appear at parts in disc 1. Looking at disc 3, it appears that someone has bitten it! The disc didn't load at all.

I am giving the seller the benefit of the doubt that he probably didn't know the extent of the damage, but I'm reluctantly having to open a case on eBay as she isn't responding.

Has anyone else had to return their game? Is there a common issue?

I now have to wait again to play this amazing game. I got about an hour in, so it's teasing me. I'm even more desperate than ever now!
Ryno4
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Shmemoon
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Bought a faulty copy of Shenmue 2

Postby Monkei » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:48 am

Yeah, I think there used to be a common issue with bitten and chewed on Shenmue II game discs on Ebay in the early 2000s. Rumour has it that most of these discs were previously owned by LanDC, who had only just started his modding career and didn't really know how to properly extract data from the discs yet, so he tried that way. Don't know how much of that is true though.

Monkei has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, NeoShredder
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby TrashPuppet » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:00 am

Man, that sucks :/ . That game's on ebay for a hefty price too assuming it's the PAL version. Hope you figure that out with ebay.

EDIT: On a side note, I bought Creepshow 2 on DVD once on ebay and when it came it was terrible bootleg and 'Start Movie' was spelled 'Strat Movie' and it was a VHS rip, a bad one at that. I was really pissed at first but now I watch it and laugh over it.
TrashPuppet
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Phantasy Star Online

Postby Ryno4 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:25 am

Haha. Only just got back to this thread. I'm glad to hear that there are other instances of other shenmue fans enjoying a nibble or 2 on their discs!

On a serious note, I am a bit annoyed about it, but I know that I'll be able to get my money back and buy another copy soon. It was a PAL dreamcast version, it cost me over £60. Here more expensive now than when they were first released. I was just collecting the pawn shop flyers, earning some money bashing some people on lucky hit.

Looks like I'll have to wait to catch that pesky Lan Di.
Ryno4

PSN: Shmemoon
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby redline » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:41 am

Ryno4 wrote:

I am giving the seller the benefit of the doubt that he probably didn't know the extent of the damage, but I'm reluctantly having to open a case on eBay as she isn't responding.

once you open your ebay case your most probably get a quick response from the seller with some lame excuse.

ive never sent anything back on ebay but people have done it to me and from what ive read, buyers always win and get their money back.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:51 am

^ Seriously, don't hesitate doing that. You should be able to easily resolve this via Ebay or Paypal (if you used that as payment method).

On a side note: How are the prices for used Shenmue games on Amazon? I feel with them it's even easier to get your money back in cases like that, you could also try there for a working copy.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Zoltor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:34 pm

Monkei wrote: ^ Seriously, don't hesitate doing that. You should be able to easily resolve this via Ebay or Paypal (if you used that as payment method).

On a side note: How are the prices for used Shenmue games on Amazon? I feel with them it's even easier to get your money back in cases like that, you could also try there for a working copy.

Shenmue 2, if in auction form, goes for about 130, and Shenmue 1 pal version is very rare on ebay these days, I have only seen buy it nows available, and they are always priced around 100(utterly insane price for the first game)

Luckily the US version of Shenmue 1 is at a more reasonable price, you can get that for 60(but when you can, you'll probally want to pick up a Pal version as well, so you can carry the save file over, but I would wait until one shows up at a reasonable price).

You can get the XBOX version of Shenmue 2 for 30-40, but no one wants that though, which is why it costs so little.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby punkmanced » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:24 pm

OK. Sega needs to stop resting on its [nonexistent] laurels and re-release this sh*t already.
Forcing fans to spend 2-3 figures on old DC copies is just ridiculous; even digital versions would do at this point.

OP, sorry for your troubles.

On a side note, don’t hate me, but I bought Shenmue 2 PAL in Europe back in 2001, in a big store that had a good wall’s worth of copies on display. Wonderful experience.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Return to Shenmue II