Shenmue 2 jewel case

(Chapters 3-6)

Shenmue 2 jewel case

Postby kiko17 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:39 pm

I recently bought Shenmue 2 pal cib for a decent price, 30-40 less than the usual asking price. When I got it had a crack on the back of the case and the bottom piece that holds the cases together is broken. Would of been nice if the seller indicated this in the description. I am gorilla gluing the broken piece but does anyone know where i can buy blank jewel cases like the one shenmue 2 has? I will just swap out the cracked back then.
kiko17
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue 2 jewel case

Postby Mr357 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:57 am

I'm in the same predicament. I also got it about a month ago with a crack in one case and lots of the "teeth" that hold the discs missing. Your best bet is to find other games that used the same case and buy the cheapest one possible. Replacement cases will likely by overpriced.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonoshee » Thu May 05, 2016 2:06 am

This topic was covered not so long ago here.

The best advice was from BlueMue:

Look for some cheap Dreamcast games with mint cases, maybe even sealed ones.

I had to buy a whole bunch of these as replacements until I got my PAL set complete and I never bought empty cases. Instead I bought a couple of newly sealed dumb sports games that were cheaper then the emtpy cases that some sellers have for sale.

Just watch out to pick the right cases, as there are two versions. One has the Dreamcast logo printed on in black while the other one has it embossed on the plastic without extra color. Both Shenmues use the second version.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby kiko17 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:15 am

I will buy old games like you said. I am not sure how they will work do to shenmue 2 being a double sided cd case. Do I have to buy multi game sets?
kiko17
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby lDarkWarriorl » Sun May 08, 2016 2:54 am

kiko17 wrote: I recently bought Shenmue 2 pal cib for a decent price, 30-40 less than the usual asking price. When I got it had a crack on the back of the case and the bottom piece that holds the cases together is broken. Would of been nice if the seller indicated this in the description. I am gorilla gluing the broken piece but does anyone know where i can buy blank jewel cases like the one shenmue 2 has? I will just swap out the cracked back then.

My stupid ex girlfriend threw my Shenmue 1 on the floor when she got mad at me one day.
I Gorilla Glued it back..
Attachments
IMG_20160508_024931.jpg
lDarkWarriorl
Creator of Earth Crisis
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: TAF_Nukem
XBL: TAF Nukem
Nintendo FC: DukeNukm
Steam: DukeNukem

Postby Testament » Mon May 09, 2016 2:43 pm

What you're looking for is a PAL Dreamcast double CD case. They're unique to that territory so unfortunately, the other recommendations in this thread of simply finding a replacement jewel case are out of the question. I'd recommend looking for a cheap game that shipped in a double case, but honestly I can't think of any that would fall under the "cheap" category. What's more, the PAL cases are actually pretty infamous for their fragility; it's a pretty rare occurrence to find one that isn't busted to hell, and when you do they usually break in shipping or at a later date anyway (I actually suspect your seller didn't crack the case but shipping it did).

Good luck!

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure, but if it's just the back that's cracked, a standard single-disc case backing may fit just fine. Might be worth a shot.
Testament
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby tomboz » Thu May 19, 2016 6:28 am

All PAL Dreamcast games have double sided holders (the blue parts of the case where the disc attaches) meaning that they're very easy to replace. The Shenmue games are simply comprised of two regular Dreamcast cases which are held together by a cardboard outer sleeve.

Unfortunately PAL Dreamcast cases were designed poorly and are very prone to breaking (the hinges and disc holder teeth usually being the culprits).

As mentioned above; your best bet is to look for some cheap sealed games and swap out the cases. I recommend buying a few as the price on Dreamcast games over here is continuously rising to the point where even the 'cheap' games are getting a little pricey.

tomboz has received a thanks from: Mr357
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Return to Shenmue II