Shenmue II Mod Topic

(Chapters 3-6)

Postby Miles Prower » Sun May 18, 2003 1:20 pm

OK, I think I'm on to something here. Yanno when you put Shenmue 2 Disc 1(DC version) into your PC and you get these cute animated icons of quite a few of the characters?(entitled Shenmue Goodies) Well I noticed that some of the file names for these pics match the model names---

BUS_ --This could be Tianzhou Yun, the bus driver(on the bus to Kowloon) This would be a particularly interesting one to do as you never really get a very good look at him.

CHD_ --Could be Man in Black Suit A(the one with the sunglasses)

CHO_ --Could be Zhang.

CLJ_ --Could be Cool J.

GOI_ --Haohai Du(Poison Bro #1)

ISN_ --Yizhen Ji, on the Goodies page it seems to suggest he is one of those black-suited Yellow Heads. If you could get me a screenshot of him MMcC, I'd be very grateful ^_^

JUS_ --A security guard, again screens would be appreciated as I can't tell which one he is.

KAK_ --Taiyuan Guo, owner of Good Omen Butcher's in the Green Market Qr.

KSY_ --Could be Young Xiuying, or one of Xiuying's other models(like her brown dress model, or the pyjamas model)

KUN_ --Fangmei.

KZN_ --Muhammed Karim, who can be seen fire-breathing at the Golden Shopping Mall and also arm wrestling in Kowloon.

LLY_/LRY_ --Either of these could be Larry.

OSY_ --On Goodies, this is that old man that Ryo is seen talking to in those Shenmue 2 Beta shots. Of course it would be great if this his model, still in the game.

SAM_ --Sam(well, duh)

SDN_ --Remember those two musicians you see when you get off the boat? This is the female one.

SSY_ --Agon Girei, arm wrestles in Aberdeen's "Rooftop Fight" and street fights in Kowloon.

SZY_ --The male musician you see when you get off the boat.

TGY_/TOG_ --Either of these could be Dou Niu.

YUA_ --Yuan.

Of course, I am just going by the names on Shenmue Goodies so some of these may be completely wrong, but it would be interesting to experiment ^_^
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Miles Prower » Sun May 18, 2003 1:23 pm

Ultimate Rugal wrote:
Miles Prower wrote:
Ultimate Rugal wrote:
Miles Prower wrote:Finding models will be tricky, what with the heaps of generic NPC's =P
It's a shame the file names aren't actually the character's names. I'm one of those obsessive types who wants to know the names for all the Shenmue II characters :P

Do you know the name of that green-haired patrolman at the harbor in Shenmue I who swears a lot? I think he was in Asia Travel the second time... with Jimmy and those other guys...

It's Kazumi Minowa, but he isn't a patrolman, just a punk who loiters around the harbor and works part-time as Jimmy's bodyguard. ^_^

Thanks a lot, man....
He kinda does what Goro does, you know? Puts his hand by his eyes and looks around, so I thought he was a patrolman... but he is awesome no matter what he is!
PS- How do you learn that name?

There are profiles on every single character in the Shenmue 1 Prima Guide ^_^
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Daemos » Sun May 18, 2003 2:04 pm

Miles Prower wrote:OK, I think I'm on to something here. Yanno when you put Shenmue 2 Disc 1(DC version) into your PC and you get these cute animated icons of quite a few of the characters?(entitled Shenmue Goodies) Well I noticed that some of the file names for these pics match the model names---

BUS_ --This could be Tianzhou Yun, the bus driver(on the bus to Kowloon) This would be a particularly interesting one to do as you never really get a very good look at him.

CHD_ --Could be Man in Black Suit A(the one with the sunglasses)

CHO_ --Could be Zhang.

CLJ_ --Could be Cool J.

GOI_ --Haohai Du(Poison Bro #1)

ISN_ --Yizhen Ji, on the Goodies page it seems to suggest he is one of those black-suited Yellow Heads. If you could get me a screenshot of him MMcC, I'd be very grateful ^_^

JUS_ --A security guard, again screens would be appreciated as I can't tell which one he is.

KAK_ --Taiyuan Guo, owner of Good Omen Butcher's in the Green Market Qr.

KSY_ --Could be Young Xiuying, or one of Xiuying's other models(like her brown dress model, or the pyjamas model)

KUN_ --Fangmei.

KZN_ --Muhammed Karim, who can be seen fire-breathing at the Golden Shopping Mall and also arm wrestling in Kowloon.

LLY_/LRY_ --Either of these could be Larry.

OSY_ --On Goodies, this is that old man that Ryo is seen talking to in those Shenmue 2 Beta shots. Of course it would be great if this his model, still in the game.

SAM_ --Sam(well, duh)

SDN_ --Remember those two musicians you see when you get off the boat? This is the female one.

SSY_ --Agon Girei, arm wrestles in Aberdeen's "Rooftop Fight" and street fights in Kowloon.

SZY_ --The male musician you see when you get off the boat.

TGY_/TOG_ --Either of these could be Dou Niu.

YUA_ --Yuan.

Of course, I am just going by the names on Shenmue Goodies so some of these may be completely wrong, but it would be interesting to experiment ^_^

Great info Miles!!! I never would've remembered such a thing. Hey, LanDC &C, have you read THIS?
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Miles McCloud » Sun May 18, 2003 2:25 pm

Thanks Mr. Prower! (I call you Mr. Prower to avoid confusion with my own name)

The Yuan and Fangmei information is correct, I'm willing to bet the rest of
it is too. I'll check out the OSY charactor post haste, but first I have to write my tutorial.

And rest easy, the Fangmei\Dou Niu swap didn't work ^_^.
Miles McCloud
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Miles McCloud » Sun May 18, 2003 3:18 pm

Ok, first off, what you need.

Xbox
Xbox Modchip
Legally Ripped Shenmue II to the HDD
An AFS Extractor
Hexeditor
FTP connection to Xbox
Patience

First, locate the HUMANS.AFS folder in the Shenmue\Scene\0#\npc\
I recommend using Disc 3, as I've barely touched the others. They are reletively the same though.

Transfer this file to your PC (getting .idx file is also recommended)

Open this file in your AFS extractor and extract the entire contents (about 1500 files) to a directory. I recommend AFS Explorer for this, no link handy, but google should provide some results.

Now, you have a directory with a bunch of files named afs00000, afs00001, and so on.

To see what a file is, open it in your hexeditor. If it starts with a heading similar to this-

PAKF............DUMY............
TEXN.........._6GBIX........
PVRT........@[email protected] |.......

It's a texture. These are mostly useless until I or someone else finds a way to combine them with their equivilant models. Scroll to to the very end of the file to see whose it is (using the three letter key). In the case of "afs00000", it belongs to "OK2". Who is this? Damned if I know.

Now I'll open "afs00001' it begins with this header-

PAKS............IPACPA......PA..SCNF
............00A_.....................T........

This is a pack file for NPC 00A. It contains his model, everything he says (in text format too, so you can change it), and probably more. To get the model out, run a search for "MDCX'. At the first result, delete everything before it. Now save as "00A_M.MT7". Now you have the model for NPC 00A.
Not all pack files contain a model, I'm still trying to figure all this out.

If the header looks similar to this-

PAKS............IPACPB
......PB..MDCXd...........

Then It's a straight model. Just delete up until it says "MDCX" in the header, save and it'll be ready to go. Scroll down to see whose it is.

Well, you could go about searching every file in the directory trying to find the charactor you want, or you could simply search for it. Open the Windows search in the directory with all your files, but instead of looking for a file name, enter your query in the "Containing Text" box.
Refer to the .idx file (and Mr. Prowers helpful key) for the three letter prefix. You could search just for this prefix, or add "_M" to it (however this won't always work). Examples would be "REN_M" or just "REN". You'll probably find the texture too, hold onto it if we ever figure out how to combine it (and I indeed hope we do)

Now you have your model, what can you do with it? Not much. Replace it with the ryo model (RYO_M.MT70 found in "scene\0#\model\chars\"
To play as it. Except it has no texture.

Here are some screenshots, note that all the charactors borrow textures from the menu you get by pressing Y. It produces an effect that make the charactors look like they've been assimilated by the Borg. Attempts to fix this have proven unsuccessful, perhaps strat's tool will be the answer.

[/img]
Miles McCloud
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Miles McCloud » Sun May 18, 2003 3:30 pm

More screenshots-
Miles McCloud
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Miles Prower » Sun May 18, 2003 3:36 pm

Who's Xioming? Do you mean Xiuying?
I'm guessing "IWA" is Iwao. It sure looks like him.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Miles McCloud » Sun May 18, 2003 3:39 pm

This is a rather interesting charactor all my own. Its the only success I've had with toying with a charactor's texture. This is what I got when I replaced Ryo's texture in his model with Yuan's. I call him,
"Disco Ryo"
Miles McCloud
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Miles McCloud » Sun May 18, 2003 3:48 pm

Yes, I meant Xiuying. I just forgot how to spell it ;)

Iwao in Shenmue II? That was my first suspicion. I'm just creeped about them leaving a Shenmue I charactor in the game. Especially Ryo's dead father. Until we can view his texture, we won't know for sure. Was Iwao supposed to return from the dead?
Miles McCloud
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Miles McCloud » Sun May 18, 2003 4:04 pm

Actually, aren't there some flashbacks with Iwao in them? Apparently he's not unused after all. :? Hm, I need to find the young ryo model.
Miles McCloud
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Miles McCloud » Mon May 19, 2003 12:34 am

Mr. Prower, The BUS charactor is most certainly a bus driver, it sure looks like it anyway.

And as for OSY? Good news folks, it is indeed the unused old man from the beta screenshots. He's quite sort, has bushy eyebrows and a beard. It matchs the memory I have of the beta screenshot, but I haven't seen it in awile. Someone post a link, and I'll confirm it. This leaves other NPC's from Miao village open to discovery.

Both charactor have their textures, and if we could just get this Borg problem fixed the things we could do are breathtaking.

I'll have screens of both charactors up sometime this week, but my main priority is fixing the texture problem.
Miles McCloud
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby LanDC » Mon May 19, 2003 1:20 am

Is this what you saw? Imageyeah the texture thing is a problem.. it would be awsome to SEE the people. hell, we have character models for people not seen... proof of further development, yet we dont hear a goddamn thing at e3 after all this time?[/list]
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Miles McCloud » Mon May 19, 2003 2:00 am

That's him alright. I'm hoping after I check the disc 4 afs I'll find more information about him. Maybe even his dialog (which will probably be in japanese if its still there).
Miles McCloud
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Miles Prower » Mon May 19, 2003 3:35 am

Miles McCloud wrote:Mr. Prower, The BUS charactor is most certainly a bus driver, it sure looks like it anyway.

And as for OSY? Good news folks, it is indeed the unused old man from the beta screenshots. He's quite sort, has bushy eyebrows and a beard. It matchs the memory I have of the beta screenshot, but I haven't seen it in awile. Someone post a link, and I'll confirm it. This leaves other NPC's from Miao village open to discovery.

Both charactor have their textures, and if we could just get this Borg problem fixed the things we could do are breathtaking.

I'll have screens of both charactors up sometime this week, but my main priority is fixing the texture problem.

Swwweeet. Lookin forward to it! :D
I imagine the Iwao model is there as at Shenhua's house Ryo has that flashback of Iwao trying to make him eat his carrots(also used in Shenmue I), I guess this must mean the 7-year old Ryo is there as a model too somewhere ^_^
Oh BTW, I made a mistake. "CHD_" would actually most likely be the black suit WITHOUT sunglasses, sorry bout that. Shots of him would be appreciated too, as I'm not 100% sure it is the same one from the Shenmue 1 opening.
Oh and if you wanna search for more char models--

KEK_ --Guixiang
KNK_ --Hanhui
SAI_ --Jiliang Chang, the disciple at Man Mo Temple who helps you air out the books.
SIZ_ --Shiquan Fu, the lazier disciple who makes Ryo clean the soot off the walls, and tries to take a photo of Fangmei.
CHY_ --Zhangyu
BKN_ --Master Zhoushan
SOU_ --Zongquan
MYS_ --Mingzhen Ye, one of the guys who stands guard at Guang Martial Arts School.
LKN_ --Linjian Chuan, the other guy who stands guard.
QM_ --Gonglin Sun, the boss at the crate carrying job in Fortune's Pier.
TKR_ --Delin
KSM_ --Ziming(might be worth seeing if his adult form is somewhere in the game, but I'm guessing only his child model will be in there)
SEY_ --The other black suit, the one with the sunglasses. While he does appear in the game, I'm not 100% sure if this guy on Goodies is the same guy, but he probably is.
FUR_ --The male owner of Lai Lai Eatery, Baolai Yan.
GET_ --Baolai's wife
ARI_ --Woman behind counter at Fu Hoi Diner, Ali Yu.
MEI_ --Ali's daughter who stands outside the diner, she wears an orange apron.
KOO_ --Yangming Dong, who I simply CAN'T identify. If you find the model for this guy then again shots would be appreciated ^_^
SGY_ --Another one I can't identify, this time a woman. I think it's the girl who works at Man Mo Bistro, but again I'm not sure. Shots again would be appreciated ^_^
DEY_ --Another security guard, shots once again needed as I'm not sure which is which.
TNZ_ --Ren Dan, owner of Come Over Guest House.
JON_ --Barry Jones, the black rapper guy with dreadlocks who plays darts.
HLN_ --Fenglin Xuan, the little kid who plays darts.
HCY_ --Baiyang Liu, the snobby guy who plays darts with a moustache.
ANA_ --Anan Liu, the guy who asks you to straighten the sign on his shop in Green Market. The fact that he and Baiyang are next to each other on Goodies may suggest they are related, but then again Liu seems to be a common surname in the game(it is also Hanhui's)
SYU_ --Wentai Zhou, owner of Healthy Meats Shop in the Green Market Qr.
THK_ --Bangzhuo Du, the other Poison Bro.
SKH_ --Shibao Xu, male owner of Dou Jiang Diner in Lucky Charm(again not totally sure so shots would be helpful)
EIC_ --Yongjiang, Shibao's wife.
KYG_ --Jiangyu, the woman from the boat and Xiaomei's mom.
SYM_ --Xiaomei, the girl Ryo helped on the boat.
SYI_ --An unused char who judging by the pic on Goodies was originally a street performer, possibly in the Golden Shopping Mall. Again it would be interesting if this model was still in the game somewhere ^_^
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby LanDC » Mon May 19, 2003 1:20 pm

Miles McCloud wrote:That's him alright. I'm hoping after I check the disc 4 afs I'll find more information about him. Maybe even his dialog (which will probably be in japanese if its still there).

I cant remember exactly, it's been a long time ago since i checked. but i dont think there was any untranslated stuff on disc 4, i checked scenes and in game. shenmue 1 sure is full of them though. but, if this man is on here. then there must be the rest of bailu village here somewhere. and possibly even miao. in a way, i dont want to see any spoilers. but on the other hand, it seems we will never get shenmue III.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II