Shenmue timeline

(Chapters 3-6)

Shenmue timeline

Postby Teun GC » Thu May 01, 2003 7:56 am

First, i wil introduce myself. I'm Teun from holland so please ignore my bad spelling. I'm a big fan of Shenmue and visit the shenmue dojo for a long time and i like the new style. But now my question.

As far as i know, shenmue up til now contains 4 chapters: 1 in shenmue 1, 3 in shenmue 2. I saw that chapter 2 has been skiped. That means that shenmue 2 contains chapters 3, 4 and 5 AND NOT 6! I never got this right. On the Microsoft site they also told that shenmue 2 contans 4 chapters. Dit i mis something?

http://planetxbox.com/shenmuedojo/image ... owImg2.gif

Teun
Teun GC
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Silas » Thu May 01, 2003 9:33 am

There are differences of opinion: Shenmue II on the Dreamcast came on four disks - thus it was easy to think of it as four chapters:
  • 2: Wan Chai - the Four Wude
  • 3: Wan Chai - Xiuying, Fangmei... and Ren
  • 4: Kowloon
  • 5: Guilin

It was not known at that time that there was a "Chapter 2" which had taken place on the boat (if AM2 or Yu had even thought of it themselves!). I always thought of it as chapters 2 - 5. I noticed a lot of people referring to chapters 2 - 4 and I asked why, since I'd never seen anything to officially number the chapters, and then someone pointed out that they are listed in the notebook! The notebook has "Chapter 1: Yokosuka" which summarises the events of Shenmue, then 2 is Wan Chai, 3 is Kowloon and 4 is Guilin.

Now it seems that the numbers in the notebook can no longer be relied upon, because not only did they declare "Chapter 2" to be on the boat, but they made a cartoon strip of it, which therefore makes it canon. To get to number 6, you go back to my chapters (based on the original DC disks) and just add one number.

The fact is, only Yu knows! I remain convinced that when Yu Suzuki said that there would be 16 chapters, he meant that there would be 16 games - and when sales were less than spectacular, they decided to rein in that ambition and have II cover several chapters.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Fox » Thu May 01, 2003 12:30 pm

Thanks for the info Silas :D and Teun, I am also from Holland :D
(Heb je MSN?)
Fox
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Zhao » Fri May 02, 2003 7:49 pm

:o Teun GC your spelling isnt bad
Zhao
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Silas....

Postby Forklift#5 » Fri May 02, 2003 9:11 pm

...Didn't Yu say there would be a 'satisfying end' and then for die-hard fans there would be a 'full' ending to the game?
Forklift#5
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ash » Sat May 03, 2003 7:00 am

I think chapter nine was supposed to have a "satisfying" end.
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Juanfran » Tue May 06, 2003 6:04 am

I see
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Neo Matrix » Tue May 06, 2003 11:55 am

I was wondering about this as well. Shenmue II on the DC added that last Guilin Disk because they knew that Shenmue III was unlikely to come on the DC. The walk was drastically rushed/cut to meet the deadline. Originally it was supposed to be the beginning of Shenmue III.

If Shenmue I did manage to make it to the X-Box, do you think that they would add the boat as Chapter II? I heard something about Chai being on it.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby Silas » Tue May 06, 2003 12:51 pm

The event with Chai on the boat in the cartoon more or less duplicated elements from Shenmue - ie someone got kidnapped/threatened by Chai, Ryo knocked him into the sea. There isn't enough there to sustain an extra chapter.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Juanfran » Wed May 07, 2003 7:47 am

Which is a shame, because I'd have quite liked to kick Chai's ass again
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Silas » Wed May 07, 2003 7:55 am

I don't. Shortassed little pr*ck, keeps ducking all my high kicks! :x
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Juanfran » Wed May 07, 2003 8:23 am

Just kick him in the balls
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Neo Matrix » Wed May 07, 2003 11:52 am

It's just that they mentioned it when they get off the boat that I thought that it would have been playable somewhere, maybe as the first part of Shenmue II and save the Guilin part for Shenmue III, then again the ending of II was cool.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Juanfran » Thu May 08, 2003 4:32 am

To be hoenst, the ending of disc 3 felt more like an ending than the end to disc 4
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Neo Matrix » Thu May 08, 2003 10:33 am

I know what you mean... it's almost like if desk 4 was the beginning of Shenmue III like it was planned, the walk and the discovery in the cave would have happened before the opening credits or something... then again more would have happened before they got there making it fill a whole disc.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue II