Shenmue City Announced

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue City Announced

Postby Dorian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:16 am

Remember that when SII came out for Xbox the platform was just being born. Shenmue II on Xbox was a big failure due to the fact that only SEGA fans cared about Shenmue at that time and SEGA fans didn't buy a new (and expensive) Microsoft platform by a rule, especially not for a game they could play on their DC. That plus the AWFUL English dubbing and the lack of promotion killed Shenmue II on Xbox. It didn't have anything to do with the fact that it was the second part of the saga.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Panda_rapist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:25 am

well the dreamcast version was a failure as well, and releasing a a sequel of a sequel after 8 years would be a very bad mistake and sega really cant take risks at the moment, another major failure would probably put them out of buisness for good. shenmue 1 sold over a million copys shenmue 2 0.15 million (dreamcast +xbox)
Panda_rapist

Postby Dorian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:02 am

It wasn't a failure. It sold well. It couldn't possibly earn SEGA 70 million bucks but it did good for a new IP released on a dying console. The times have changed and Shenmue would only do better now, especially with its cult status. Many people would buy this game just because it has "Shenmue" in the title.
Another major failure would probably put them out of buisness for good

No. SEGA is now a part of Sammy. They have loads of money from other sources than video games. Besides, Shenmue II wouldn't cost as much as Shenmue I&II did.
Last edited by Dorian on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby shu » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:05 am

TheGboyKing wrote: shenmue 2 0.15 million (dreamcast +xbox)

SHENMUE 2 (DC) = 0,15M http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/news/4294/shenmue-ii/
SHENMUE 2 XBOX = 0,31M http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/game/2032/shenmue-ii/

TOTAL=0,46M for shenmue 2
shu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:15 am

VG charts is not the most reliable source of game sales esp on older games before the website was up.
Most of it is guesswork.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Panda_rapist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:21 am

Dorian wrote:It wasn't a failure. It sold well. It couldn't possibly earn SEGA 70 million bucks but it did good for a new IP released on a dying console. The times have changed and Shenmue would only do better now, especially with its cult status. Many people would buy this game just because it has "Shenmue" in the title.
nother major failure would probably put them out of buisness for good

No. SEGA is now a part of Sammy. They have loads of money from other sources than video games. Besides, Shenmue II wouldn't cost as much as Shenmue I&II did.

shenmue is still unkown to to the wider gamer, the cult isnt that big, the petition has only 60 000 signatures, probably alot of them signed more then once, and even today creating a new shenmue would be high costing if it was just a question of taking the yakuza engine as alot say, they would of already done it, and i think sammy are only interested in investing in sega's arcade side, imagine if the first 2 lord of the rings didnt do to good then they released the 3rd one 8 years later to a generation who dont even know what it is, the younger generation they would rather go for the highly advertised good reviewed movie that came out at the same time instead, while only the old nostalgic generation would go see the 3rd
Panda_rapist

Postby Dorian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:23 am

shenmue is still unkown to to the wider gamer

The games aren't known because most people can't bother to search for old games and old hardware. But the IP is very well known. If SEGA made Shenmue III now, it would surely sell well. It wouldn't be crazy profit for them but they wouldn't loose their money.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Without Remorse » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Nightmare wrote:Hi guys, here's some news from Spaziogames, an italian website..

http://www.spaziogames.it/notizie_video ... e-mai.aspx

In a few words, it said that Sega boss Mike Hayes said that Shenmue III has never left the table, never say never to this possibility.
Also it is reminded that Yu has recently said that he wants to develop ShenmueIII.. In the end there's some details about Shenmue City that have already been posted.

P.S.: the news is also reported here: http://multiplayer.it/notizie/81999-she ... -sega.html

sorry your post got buried in 8 year old arguments. This, along with all the new info has me a little bit more positive about the situation. At least I am excited to see what happens with everything.
Without Remorse
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: W1TH0UT REMORSE
Currently playing: Super Meat Boy

Postby Panda_rapist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Without Remorse wrote:
Nightmare wrote:Hi guys, here's some news from Spaziogames, an italian website..

http://www.spaziogames.it/notizie_video ... e-mai.aspx

In a few words, it said that Sega boss Mike Hayes said that Shenmue III has never left the table, never say never to this possibility.
Also it is reminded that Yu has recently said that he wants to develop ShenmueIII.. In the end there's some details about Shenmue City that have already been posted.

P.S.: the news is also reported here: http://multiplayer.it/notizie/81999-she ... -sega.html

sorry your post got buried in 8 year old arguments. This, along with all the new info has me a little bit more positive about the situation. At least I am excited to see what happens with everything.

:lol: sorry im probably just repeating what people have said before me, its not really a argument just saying my point of view, i always consider the fact that i might be wrong though
Panda_rapist

Postby Without Remorse » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:41 pm

Nothing wrong with an argument/debate, I just didnt want that post to fall through the cracks. Usually we go years at a time(except for april fools) without hearing anything about Shenmue, and now its being mentioned in articles on a semi-regular basis.
Without Remorse
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Dorian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:42 pm

Mike Hayes is from SEGA USA and SEGA USA has proofed to not be in power or even knowledge when it comes to Shenmue so his words doesn't mean anything. If a high figure from SEGA JAPAN says something like that, then we all can say "FUCK YEAH!".
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Panda_rapist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:48 pm

Without Remorse wrote:Nothing wrong with an argument/debate, I just didnt want that post to fall through the cracks. Usually we go years at a time(except for april fools) without hearing anything about Shenmue, and now its being mentioned in articles on a semi-regular basis.

yeah i know even though i just joined the dojo i have been following it since 2001
damn some of those april fools were just pure evil :evil:
Panda_rapist

Postby Raj! » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:19 pm

alimn wrote:to find YS NET's site...NOW IT IS HERE, thanks to Andriasang....

Hey, i was the one who told them about the site 8)..after i downloaded the pdf file on the official shenmue gai site, i scrolled down to find out there was a ys-net support email, after a quick google search, i found it :D
Last edited by Raj! on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raj!
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Without Remorse » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:25 pm

TheGboyKing wrote:
Without Remorse wrote:Nothing wrong with an argument/debate, I just didnt want that post to fall through the cracks. Usually we go years at a time(except for april fools) without hearing anything about Shenmue, and now its being mentioned in articles on a semi-regular basis.

yeah i know even though i just joined the dojo i have been following it since 2001
damn some of those april fools were just pure evil :evil:

Welcome to the Dojo. And yeah, some of them were pretty awful, but I got to the point where I expected them.
Without Remorse
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Panda_rapist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:56 pm

2004 i mean 2001 was for shenmue, thanks for the welcome i will try and contribute as mutch as i can for all the other shenmue fans out there
Panda_rapist

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates