Yu Suzuki : Western Release of Shenmue Gai Planned

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki : Western Release of Shenmue Gai Planned

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:32 am

Riku Rose wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:For Shenmue to even make half of its money back, it would have to have been bought twice by every Dreamcast owner there was.

I think that with the budget it had that would have spanned the series with just a little more being added onto each entry. We never hear how much Shenmue II cost.

Shenmue II falls under the 70 millions commonly atributed (only) to Shenmue I.
Yu Suzuki explained it more than a couple of times. Once he even said to a reporter that the infamous budget concerned up to the first three titles of the series (and the establishment of the IP), showing some texture work of Shenmue III to a journalist that it claimed was done under that budget-- hell, there's even (at least a build of) Shenmue II for the Saturn under that paycheck

I don't know if Shenmue II had addictional costs, with the 70 millions being spend in their majority on the original Shenmue, still I think that the 70 millions payed most of II aswell.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Supa » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Yes, $70 million for the series (I,II,III) and $20 for Shenmue I on DC. There is clearly some of Shenmue III, probably very little. But even in the Saturn video, we see the end of Guilin, Ryo and Shenhua with the deer, and Ryo running through a forested area. They probably did not stop there.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Panda_rapist » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:39 pm

^ maybe that was part of shenmue 2, the bailu village part that was tooken out in shenmue 2 for dc and xbox, but it still doesnt explain the train in the project berkley trailer
Panda_rapist

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:30 pm

TheGboyKing wrote:^ maybe that was part of shenmue 2, the bailu village part that was tooken out in shenmue 2 for dc and xbox, but it still doesnt explain the train in the project berkley trailer

There are a couple of things in Project Berkley that are still to be adressed in the Shenmue games. Still, Project Berkley is a concept demo, it shouldn't be taken 100% literally in terms of what will be extrapolated to the actual final product and what will be discarded or is presented in a more loose way.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Previous

Return to News and Updates