Yu Suzuki : "Shenmue III Concept Already Exists"

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Yu Suzuki : "Shenmue III Concept Already Exists"

Postby Yama » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:11 pm

In 1UP's latest interview with Yu Suzuki, it is said that the concept for Shenmue III already exists.

Read more about the details here.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Yu Suzuki : "Shenmue III Concept Already Exists"

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:38 pm

This topic already exists in the Shenmue Gai forum, Yama. :)
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Yama » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:39 pm

ThyDarkAngel wrote:This topic already exists in the Shenmue Gai forum, Yama. :)

Didn't want to merge or move the topic, fresh start for the front page of the website. You'd be surprised at how many people check only the front page.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby myshtuff » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Bricks have just been shat. Worldwide.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Axm » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:43 am

This interview is nuts. Chalk full of information. Things we already probably knew but never officially confermed. But now Suzuki has said it right from his mouth. And I feel very glad he's being so open about it all now.
The biggest thing that he said which stuck out to me was this.

JM: So, back to your plans for the future. I don't know if you've heard, but [Resident Evil creator] Shinji Mikami's studio, Tango, was recently acquired by Bethesda parent company, ZeniMax. Would you ever consider working with a Western publisher if you could get the funding to make Shenmue 3?

YS: That depends on the terms of negotiations. If we're given the freedom to make what we want, it doesn't matter where the company is from. I would take my family and move to the States.

Wow. YS is FULLY committed to making Shenmue 3. So much so, that he would have 0 reservations about where he would need to go or partner with aslong as he's given the freedom to make the game that he wants.
Thats huge. Those are words that carry fans for years to come until an eventual announcement. Other things like him admitting Shenmue 3 was never made due to lack of funding and support from Sega is also the kind of information we've never been 100% sure about until now. Obviously it made sense to think that way but Suzuki telling us strait out is an admittance of the issue and what he now needs to do to improve and sell the series. Which is why we now have Shenmue Gai.
Honestly this is probably the best interview with Suzuki ever. Its very in depth and well done. All the questions that needed to be answered were brought up. Bravo 1UP and Suzuki san.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Schiff » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:46 am

the best interview ever....
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: ylyon
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5FS

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:58 am

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but didn't we know this years ago? He said something along the lines of "I already have the scripts ready for Shenmue III it's just a matter of getting it made" or something to that effect?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby UnHoly Bible » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:15 am

^ I think the point was he revealed a detail about the nature of Shenmue III.
UnHoly Bible
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenmueAddict99 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:57 am

finally Suzuki-san said something about Shenmue III \:D/ :D
ShenmueAddict99
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: ShenmueAddict99
XBL: ShenmueAddict99
Currently playing: Shenmue I

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:58 am

Henry Spencer wrote:Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but didn't we know this years ago? He said something along the lines of "I already have the scripts ready for Shenmue III it's just a matter of getting it made" or something to that effect?

Doesn't matter in two years if we haven't heard anything people will just pretend this never happened and get excited if he says the same thing again.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:43 am

Sure, but now he gives hints about the focus of part of the gameplay that we could only have speculated.
It's, obviously, a minor thing. The greatest thing being the whole Shenme III 'taboo' is dead or on it's last legs, after so many years of silence.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:10 am

^Well from this interview I'd say we are no closer to SIII. He pretty much said that he wants to do it in the Kikizo interview which was about 5 years ago now.

From all of this all we know is that he has an idea in his head of the game exactly the same as he did 12 years ago. I can come up with an idea for a game in my head but if it ever gets made is another thing alltogether.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Ziming » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:53 am

Henry Spencer wrote:Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but didn't we know this years ago? He said something along the lines of "I already have the scripts ready for Shenmue III it's just a matter of getting it made" or something to that effect?

Yeah back in 2003

"The story is completed. The problem is we have not decided whether or not to move foreward with designing the game yet. If there's a demand for it, we'd love to make it, but it is undecided." ~Yu Suzuki~
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Axm wrote:This interview is nuts. Chalk full of information. Things we already probably knew but never officially confermed. But now Suzuki has said it right from his mouth. And I feel very glad he's being so open about it all now.
The biggest thing that he said which stuck out to me was this.

JM: So, back to your plans for the future. I don't know if you've heard, but [Resident Evil creator] Shinji Mikami's studio, Tango, was recently acquired by Bethesda parent company, ZeniMax. Would you ever consider working with a Western publisher if you could get the funding to make Shenmue 3?

YS: That depends on the terms of negotiations. If we're given the freedom to make what we want, it doesn't matter where the company is from. I would take my family and move to the States.

Wow. YS is FULLY committed to making Shenmue 3. So much so, that he would have 0 reservations about where he would need to go or partner with aslong as he's given the freedom to make the game that he wants.
Thats huge. Those are words that carry fans for years to come until an eventual announcement. Other things like him admitting Shenmue 3 was never made due to lack of funding and support from Sega is also the kind of information we've never been 100% sure about until now. Obviously it made sense to think that way but Suzuki telling us strait out is an admittance of the issue and what he now needs to do to improve and sell the series. Which is why we now have Shenmue Gai.
Honestly this is probably the best interview with Suzuki ever. Its very in depth and well done. All the questions that needed to be answered were brought up. Bravo 1UP and Suzuki san.

I agree with 100% of this. Yeah it is info we already knew(or suspected anyway) but still, great interview.

That is the bit of the interview that struck the biggest cord with me as well. Yu clearly wants to conclude(or continue) the saga more than anything, to say that he and his family will pack up without a moments notice and move abroad just so he can create Shenmue 3, is a rare peek into Yu's clearly brightly burning desire to finish the saga.

Even though this is more or less what I already suspected, I'm not going to lie, over the past few years I have had the occasional creeping doubts about whether Yu even wants to carry on the saga or if he just wants to move on. But now the man is back in the limelight with a bang, and he has just told us to eradicate whatever pessimistic doubts we have remaining, he is with us all the way. Even if he eventually can't make it, it won't be because he isn't fighting for it with all he's got and thats all that matters.

Maybe I'm being too over enthusiastic right now, but I currently feel more hopeful now than I have done in years.

I knew it, 2010 was the year the cogs or change that can eventually lead to Shenmue 3 will start turning!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Without Remorse » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:33 pm

Big difference between now and then, is back then shortly after saying those things Yu Suzuki was locked away and wasn't performing any interviews, and apparently had all his power stripped away with Sega. The only issue now is money. Now he is out and about and obviously not afraid to talk about Shenmue or even make Shenmue Games. If there is a way in this world for him to make S3, he will find it. If not, we can take solace in the fact that he had tried.
Without Remorse
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: W1TH0UT REMORSE
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Super Meat Boy

Next

Return to News and Updates