Yu Suzuki Interview on Shenmue

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki Interview on Shenmue

Postby Dorian » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Funny how Kenji turned out to be far more interesting than Yu.

Great interview, but not because of the obvious things that Yu said - it's great because of its author.

Oh, and that sweet gaming collection Kenji partly showed there... That's an incredible sense of style, to put those things in such an artistic manner. Plus, the cap he wore during that interview. =D>
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Peter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:33 pm

Very good interview, and a great deal of positivity from Suzuki talking directly about Shenmue. I feel a big kudos to those over the past year or so for constantly interviewing Suzuki and probing about Shenmue and its future. I feel thats important, and a constant reminder that its not a forgotten game. People do talk about it, want to learn more, and want there to be more.

There wasnt much solid information in the interview, but the two main points of interest for me were that Zunming Zhao will be a "key" character in the future of the story. I will discuss this greater in the Shenmue III forum. Secondly, that Suzukis favourite part of the game is still to some?? What the hell, way to tease us even more Yu! :lol:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:33 pm

Peter wrote:Very good interview, and a great deal of positivity from Suzuki talking directly about Shenmue. I feel a big kudos to those over the past year or so for constantly interviewing Suzuki and probing about Shenmue and its future. I feel thats important, and a constant reminder that its not a forgotten game. People do talk about it, want to learn more, and want there to be more.

There wasnt much solid information in the interview, but the two main points of interest for me were that Zunming Zhao will be a "key" character in the future of the story. I will discuss this greater in the Shenmue III forum. Secondly, that Suzukis favourite part of the game is still to some?? What the hell, way to tease us even more Yu! :lol:

^this. Yu almost seems like a madman dying to finish this series, which is good. I wonder what it would take for him to obtain the Shenmue license from Sega :-k
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby KiBa » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:00 am

I love the French people and Yu Suzuki.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:18 am

Next the french need to interview Kiba wearing a top hat a pair of clown shoes and a tutu and nothing else.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Spokane » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:03 am

That is Kiba's regular outfit anyway.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby MercurousSnake » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:31 am

Excellent! :) really glad to see some information lets hope Yu Suzuki keeps that bright confidence going and aquires the rights for Shenmue. :D
MercurousSnake
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: MercurousSnake
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Huge bow of respect, Kenji.
Huge.

I am feeling so emotional right now, after just seeing the interview.

'We can get the license...'

'The part I am most fond of is hidden in the sequel...'

Shenmue!!!
Shenmue...
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby tankbeat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:52 pm

nice work Kenji-kun, probably the best update on shenmue in many years :)

the metro is reporing that YS wants to buy the rights to shenmue & has a link to your site. ~
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/88646 ... -from-sega

can anyone remember any examples of a games company like sega ever selling the rights to a game? ( im just wondering what sort of price they would want for shenmue?)
tankbeat
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Kenji-kun » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:05 am

Thank you all for your very kind concerns, sincerely !

I just want to precise one thing, I am not sure that when Yu Suzuki said : SEGAから僕たちがライセンスを受けることができます (Sega kara, bokutachi ga license o ukerukoto ga dekimasu), he actually means that his team can BUY the license from SEGA. Literally speaking, it means : From SEGA, we can receive (or get / catch) the license.
I think it's more like : he can USE the license (like he has done with Shenmue Gai with Sunsoft, which ended few days ago but don't forget that Yu Suzuki is currently thinking to pursue the game on smartphone -he said that in el_clown's interview-).
Kenji-kun
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:08 pm

Kenji-kun wrote:I just want to precise one thing, I am not sure that when Yu Suzuki said : SEGAから僕たちがライセンスを受けることができます (Sega kara, bokutachi ga license o ukerukoto ga dekimasu), he actually means that his team can BUY the license from SEGA. Literally speaking, it means : From SEGA, we can receive (or get / catch) the license.
I think it's more like : he can USE the license (like he has done with Shenmue Gai with Sunsoft, which ended few days ago but don't forget that Yu Suzuki is currently thinking to pursue the game on smartphone -he said that in el_clown's interview-).

It's really amazing to see Yu-san talk about the future plot of Shenmue that much. Good job, Kenji-kun! :D

Regarding the IP issue of Shenmue, please remember that Yu Suzuki still stays in SEGA as an advisor,
and SEGA will be the publisher of the final game of Shenmue, even if YS Net will develop the game.
So, Yu-san will never have to pay much, if any, to use the IP. That couldn't be a problem, I suppose.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Dorian » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:16 pm

He just stated the obvious. We all know that SEGA will be willing to let him use the license because that's how he made Gai in the first place.

This interview gives almost zero new information. It's great only because of the atmosphere that was created by Kenji, but I would like to remind you all that Yu did give similar interviews in the (distant) past, saying cryptic things about Shenmue III and kinda promising it will come out one day. What did we get from that?

This is are the man's dreams, not anything substantial. What's worse, after what he was trying to do with Shenmue Online, I'm afraid he is desperate to finish the saga with a low-quality game that won't be even close to the real Shenmue.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby KiBa » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:56 am

Polish kill joy.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:07 am

KiBa wrote:Polish kill joy.

He thrives on pissing on parades but when someone does not give in to his misery and pisses back he has a tissy fit deletes his profile and "leaves"...sounds like Jeff :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Peter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:29 am

YES! Thats exactly it!! :rotflmao:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates