More books donated by fans to Guilin school

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

More books donated by fans to Guilin school

Postby Team Yu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:20 am

A primary school for underprivileged children in Guilin, China, has recently received a donation of 166 books, paid for by Chinese fans of the Shenmue series of video games partly set in the remote area. [Read more]

Team Yu has received 6 thanks from: Henry Spencer, KiBa, Mr357, nskachu, ShenGCH, Sonoshee
Team Yu
Team Yu Staff
Team Yu Staff

Re: More books donated by fans to Guilin school

Postby Team Yu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:22 am

It's the latest chapter in a remarkable story that began during Shenmue III's Kickstarter campaign in 2015. Two American brothers volunteering at the elementary school donated substantial personal funds to the crowdfunding appeal, hoping to use the associated perks to draw wider attention to the school and its needs.

Before such rewards could even be finalized, media coverage of their intentions caught the eyes of the Chinese Shenmue fan community, which set about honoring the brothers' contributions to the game by donating equipment and materials to the school.

In December of that year, 200 books were delivered to the young children, followed in May 2016 by a brand new projector. One fundamental snag, however: the school's bare external windows made the classroom too bright to see the projections - so by the end of the year fans had also donated curtains!

The latest donation of a further 166 books really highlights the scale of compassion and generosity inspired by Yu Suzuki's Shenmue saga, with a fan community so committed to giving these kids in Guilin a better start in life.

If you'd like to see the teachings of these games reach a wider audience amongst today's potential players, the monthly #SaveShenmueHD Tweetathon brings you side by side with a global community of fans requesting of Sega that Shenmue 1 & 2 be made available on modern systems.

The next occasion is tomorrow, February 3rd, and you can pre-load a customized AutoTweet for all future events at TeamYu.net.

Thanks to our friend Li of the Shenmue bar on Baidu Tieba for helping us share this great story.

Team Yu has received 4 thanks from: Henry Spencer, KiBa, ShenGCH, Sonoshee
Team Yu
Team Yu Staff
Team Yu Staff

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:40 am

The kid in the green jacket - is that Gao Wen?! :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:11 am

I am sure other schools in even greater need wished they had been featured in a video game so they too could be helped out... :???:

But this was nice regardless. And were the books needed to be of a certain origin or style deemed "ok" by the Chinese government? :?:
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:41 am

Jerid'sRamenShop wrote: I am sure other schools in even greater need wished they had been featured in a video game so they too could be helped out... :???:

But this was nice regardless. And were the books needed to be of a certain origin or style deemed "ok" by the Chinese government? :?:

The school wasn't featured in a video game - the school, which doesn't even make an appearance, is merely situated in a location featured in a game. The same could be said of Zamba in Ghost Recon: Future Soldier; maybe there's a school there in dire need of books, too, but no such school makes an appearance in the game. Your argument, which appears to contend that every deprived location featured in video games which just so happen to have a school in the locale are automatically entitled to book donations, doesn't make sense, nor is it practical.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:12 am

ShenGCH wrote:
Jerid'sRamenShop wrote: I am sure other schools in even greater need wished they had been featured in a video game so they too could be helped out... :???:

The school wasn't featured in a video game - the school, which doesn't even make an appearance, is merely situated in a location featured in a game. The same could be said of Zamba in Ghost Recon: Future Soldier; maybe there's a school there in dire need of books, too, but no such school makes an appearance in the game. Your argument, which appears to contend that every deprived location featured in video games which just so happen to have a school in the locale are automatically entitled to book donations, doesn't make sense, nor is it practical.

Actually you didn't quite get what I was saying. Donating books to a school simply because it is in a video game (Or merely situated in a "location" as you put it.) makes even less sense and is not practical. "Hey! You were in my favorite video game here are some books!"

"Oh you were not in my favorite video game even though you are actually in a much dire need than the other one... But hey, screw you! Be in a video game next time loser!"
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby south carmain » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:41 am

Jerid'sRamenShop wrote:"Oh you were not in my favorite video game even though you are actually in a much dire need than the other one... But hey, screw you! Be in a video game next time loser!"

literally no one said or thought that ever.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:39 am

The moral of the story, I think, is that if you're not giving to the #1 neediest in the world, then don't bother giving at all to anyone.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: The moral of the story, I think, is that if you're not giving to the #1 neediest in the world, then don't bother giving at all to anyone.

Or do it for all the right reasons, not the wrong ones. Do you give to someone to be famous or to prove to others you can? Or do you do it because your "god" told you to and you will go to heaven if you do or because by giving, in return you will be rewarded like wise in this life or another? I myself have volunteered quite a few times. Some with Christian church organizations and some with Buddhist principles. Yes the act of caring and doing for others is great. But if your end result is you want to gain recognition, gain the keys to heaven's gate or have good things happen to you as in karma or some other form/idea, than you truly are not giving to help others. That is merely a by product of your end goal for helping. It makes the act of helping seem less important or meaningful. Although that is not to say the recipients were not still helped, this time...

I am not really sure why it rubbed me so wrong to even bring it up and sadly I expected others to take offense, but that was not my true intention. However just imagine if this school that was "SO" much in dire need was only a mile or two from where it currently sits, (if that is even the case, otherwise just outside the border or in a whole other province.) how much of a hand out would they of received? The two brothers seemed to have honest intentions, the Shenmue fans however, perhaps not so much. Then again each person of that Shenmue fan group may do things like this all the time for anyone in need or maybe never before and never again and only this time simply for "game's" sake. Or maybe the article was written biasedly.
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:16 am

At the end of the day, just ask yourself: Am I glad this happened, or do I wish it hadn't? Complaining that it happened "for the wrong reasons" just seems like a privileged, first world problem. The school certainly doesn't seem to mind, and isn't that what's important? If you want to donate to another school, go right ahead. No one here's stopping you.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby south carmain » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:35 am

Moral of the story, if you have a reason to help others then don't.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Jerid'sRamenShop, you have been warned for your insulting, and quite frankly, ridiculous comments. Post in this topic no further.

The Dojo will support this initiative. :)
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:17 pm

You can support what you like, but I was not insulting nor being ridiculous. And are you really going to resort to threats and bullying just because my opinion differs from yours? I have spoken with the upmost respect. Also this "initiative" is it still on going or that was it?
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Return to News and Updates