[COMPLETE] Thanks System

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

Re: Thanks System

Postby ys » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:05 pm

Both have pros and cons and it's not the end of the world to have one or another.
The explanation of the advantages of the thanks system does make sense indeed. But I was thinking, would some like to have both otherwise? I've seen this on several forums.
Post count can indeed lead to spamming but as Riku says, it also is some kind of indication for new people if the join date is added. I know that it can be intimidating but, well, that's how it is in life. Being new somewhere can be a bit of a challenge ;) On the other hand, I think negative remarks towards new people probably do more to scare them away than a friendly regular with a high post count. With both systems, they could even make more of a distinction when comparing, post count, join date and thanks.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Peter » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:07 pm

But surely there shouldnt need to be an incentive to be a "good member". We all strive to be one whilst at the same we be who we are personality wise. Im glad theres no post count, but i dont think there should be any counts period, inclusing "thanks recieved and given". If LanDC rips a game apart and has some interesting findings then i will thank him in the relevant topic in my own words. My thanks will remain there for as long as the boards are around, but i disagree that it should be available under his avatar like a badge of approval. It is just a number after all, the same as post count, so why have it at all?

Oh and sup AMX?! Long time no see buddy! Great to have to back posting again! :D
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spokane » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:09 pm

Here was my reaction when I saw the thanks system the first time, "Great, now people are going to be sucking up to one another".
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Yama » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Peter wrote:But surely there shouldnt need to be an incentive to be a "good member". We all strive to be one whilst at the same we be who we are personality wise. Im glad theres no post count, but i dont think there should be any counts period, inclusing "thanks recieved and given". If LanDC rips a game apart and has some interesting findings then i will thank him in the relevant topic in my own words. My thanks will remain there for as long as the boards are around, but i disagree that it should be available under his avatar like a badge of approval. It is just a number after all, the same as post count, so why have it at all?

Good point Peter. Not sure why this hasn't been brought up, but we may have found a happy medium here. Post Counts and Thanks can be viewed from the profile only, so it doesn't seem like a badge of approval. Then the user can check it for themself, but not "flaunt" it. Makes sense to me. It also keep the idea of what Axm said, those who won't post at all at least having the option to give their 'thanks'.

Without literally hard deleting either the post count or thanks system, this seems like the best way. Everyone willing to go this route?
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Ahhh, but the would it not be in danger of turning into a repping system? Those things have had bad news written all over it on almost every forum ive been on. In fact i dont think there is one forum that still has such a system. But yea i like the dies of having the thinks contributions and offerings from the users profile only. I like it!

EDIT: Does the post that gets thanked have it displayed below. Like where i have edited this post, theres a stamp at the bottom, with the edit instruction, date and time. Is there also a message at the bottom (if thanked) stating something like "THIS POST WAS THANKED 5 TIMES".
Last edited by Peter on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:16 pm

That sounds great.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Peter wrote:Ahhh, but the would it not be in danger of turning into a repping system? Those things have had bad news written all over it on almost every forum ive been on. In fact i dont think there is one forum that still has such a system. But yea i like the dies of having the thinks contributions and offerings from the users profile only. I like it!

EDIT: Does the post that gets thanked have it displayed below. Like where i have edited this post, theres a stamp at the bottom, with the edit instruction, date and time. Is there also a message at the bottom (if thanked) stating something like "THIS POST WAS THANKED 5 TIMES".

Yeah to me it's just replacing with one form of a number or intimidation factor with another.
When I checked out Biohaze forums the other day first thing I noticed were the big red bars. To me that just just as bold as a big post count so with a bunch of thanks given,just another number thing.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Axm » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Having both the post count and thanks available to see in just the profile would be a good idea too. It does get rid of the open popularity contest people seem to be worried about. I frankly dont see the problem in people being openly recognized for being a good member. But if others dont want to see that then we can put it in the profile and we can see it that way too.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ys » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Well as I said before, none of it is a very big deal for me. I only always thought that post counts, join dates (and even thanks) do add something to a forum. They feel empty otherwise in a way. For example, I'm looking for information on the internet and arrive at some forum. While reading through the topic I often check out the post counts and/or thanks.
But I would not click on everyone's profile one by one to check out these details. It's more work than just having them handily available underneath an avatar. I guess these things got introduced to forums before with some purpose. So personally if I have to choose I would rather have both. If you don't know a forum yet you could make some kind of judgement at least by seeing who the regulars are with quite some thanks for example. Or even other new members with some thanks behind the name already. Just my opinion.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Spokane » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Supa would hate this place. He would get no thanks and his post count wouldn't be displayed up front anymore. And oh yeah..... were so bitter here.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:34 pm

Bottom line is if there is any sort of visual rating, be it numbers in post count or thanks, or bars in repping systems then there will be both intimidation on the part of new members and regular posters for the simple reason that they will feel that due to their "number" being lower, thier board contribution and presence isnt good as others. Someone who has posted 300 pieces of intelligent material will always be considered less of a member than the spammer with 10000 posts. This is the way it is, even if the member with 300 posts has been on the forum since 2000, and the member with 10000 posts joined the boards 6 months ago.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Life can be harsh :P But it was the same for all of us and we all made it through, didn't we? As I wrote, I've seen FAR more new people leave forums because of asshole remarks than just these small statistics at the. For many new people it's also a bit of a goal to participate more to "get up there" which might contribute. And in the cases where some people were spamming excessively they did get some temporary warning which usually helped.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby silent killer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:09 pm

I actually am a part of another board with a karma system. Although their system allows for negative karma as well. I don't know why but I want to see that here. I can't be alone in thinking that.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:26 pm

I agree with Peter on this; not displaying post counts and removing the karma system gets my vote.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Oppy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks system is the first thing that needs to be removed from this place. We dont want the dojo to turn into a popularity contest.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue Dojo