New Forum Structure

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

Re: New Forum Structure

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:03 pm

/ass: Just as long as im not the one having to fix it :P
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:I think what Ryudo really wanted to say was: "you bastards, this took me ages! Do you realise how much shit I had to sort into specific forums". I can imagine it was a lot of work for Yama and Ryudo though, sifting through all the topics and putting them in the right places. For the sake of one extra click to find the right forum is not that much of a hassle, come on.

:lol: Think we got done about 4 in the morning my time. For him..7 am
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Yama » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:25 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:This is a Shenmue forum, but over the years it seems like the shenmue theme took a bit of a step back for a more general gaming/technology forum.

Well now it's taking a step forward, get fucking used to it. :idea:

If some of you read for more than three seconds, you'd see it was mainly done to speed up the forums themselves, otherwise we wouldn't have bothered. We're definitely not the ones over thinking things here, the irony.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Spokane » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Yama wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote:This is a Shenmue forum, but over the years it seems like the shenmue theme took a bit of a step back for a more general gaming/technology forum.

Well now it's taking a step forward, get fucking used to it. :idea:

If some of you read for more than three seconds, you'd see it was mainly done to speed up the forums themselves, otherwise we wouldn't have bothered. We're definitely not the ones over thinking things here, the irony.

I don't think I have ever seen you swear before.

I think you got the message across with that post though.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Gingefners, The » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Never found the place slow before tbh, but meh. I just hope you took into consideration how the extra clicks to reach "Debate" to see if there's new posts will take a real toll on KiBa's mouse as time goes by and use some of the newly donated money to help him to afford replacements.
Gingefners, The
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: with myself

Postby Peter » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:17 pm

People just fear change. I for one think its great. Keeps things fresh and modern. No complaints here.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:22 pm

Ryudo wrote:Would you guys rather have the forums back to being slow and constant general errors?
That was the problem before.

What errors? If you mean the thing where it does the update when you press "Submit", it still does that. :P
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Don't give a toss either way as I always use "view your posts" or "view new posts".
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Joe Pesci » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Gingefners, The wrote:Never found the place slow before tbh, but meh. I just hope you took into consideration how the extra clicks to reach "Debate" to see if there's new posts will take a real toll on KiBa's mouse as time goes by and use some of the newly donated money to help him to afford replacements.

YOU FUCKING LIAR! You had 56k like 3 months ago, you bollocksing fuck.

@ Yama. You guys said that it was to fix errors and speed up the forum. But honestly, you need to be more clear. Like specifically what errors and how having things categorized this new way will speed things up. Because I agree, I haven't noticed a single error or lag on the forum even before these changes. Either way, it isn't rocket surgery to get used to the new setup.

It's just that I can say I feel a certain way about something, but without evidence then it's more assuredly going to have some sort of backlash.
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Yama » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Joe Pesci wrote:
Gingefners, The wrote:Never found the place slow before tbh, but meh. I just hope you took into consideration how the extra clicks to reach "Debate" to see if there's new posts will take a real toll on KiBa's mouse as time goes by and use some of the newly donated money to help him to afford replacements.

@ Yama. You guys said that it was to fix errors and speed up the forum. But honestly, you need to be more clear. Like specifically what errors and how having things categorized this new way will speed things up. Because I agree, I haven't noticed a single error or lag on the forum even before these changes. Either way, it isn't rocket surgery to get used to the new setup.

It's just that I can say I feel a certain way about something, but without evidence then it's more assuredly going to have some sort of backlash.

It wasn't just categorization, but the merging of quite a few forums. Merging those = less databases = less chances of the tables crashing.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Joe Pesci » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Yama wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

It wasn't just categorization, but the merging of quite a few forums. Merging those = less databases = less chances of the tables crashing.

See, that's all I really wanted, a thorough explanation for an internet ignorant doofus like me.
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:53 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:
Ryudo wrote:Would you guys rather have the forums back to being slow and constant general errors?
That was the problem before.

What errors? If you mean the thing where it does the update when you press "Submit", it still does that. :P

Forums crahed every night at certain times and gave general error page. Sometimes forums would take up to a minute to load. I also tested the site on this http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ and often was the site down.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:16 pm

Can't say I ever had a problem and the forum has been kinda quick.

I'm sure in a week we will all be used to it anyway.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Peter » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:17 pm

I got that sometimes, i just assumed it was my crappy laptop and internet connection.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:24 pm

Are there plans for a mobile version of the site for phones?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue Dojo