Gaming Thoughts Thread [VOTE and DISCUSS]

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

More threads, more activity. Less lost in clutter. Close Gaming Thoughts? (Total votes: 25)

Yes
76%
No
24%

Re: Gaming Thoughts Thread [VOTE and DISCUSS]

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:16 pm

Its just a difference of opinion and im sure it will happen again, I expect it to. Its not like I hate every single idea, but disregarding an old format in favor for one that is untested seems risky. But the changes were made before I could even cast a vote anyway, I come from work today and the decision was already made and I logged in last night and there was no word of this before I went to bed, meh.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:10 pm

I am always in favor of the Ronseal approach. For those who don't get that reference, it means I like to know exactly what I'll get when I click on a topic title. I largely ignore all-purpose threads with generic titles because there's no telling whether I'll find anything relevant to my interests within. Which means I probably miss some posts that would interest me, but I can't be bothered wading through the unknown to find out. I want to be able to clearly judge from the title whether it's worth my while opening the thread and poring over its contents.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 3 thanks from: Mitsuzuki, MiTT3NZ, Yama
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:19 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: judge from the title whether it's worth my while opening the thread and poring over its contents.

Sounds a little pretentious. I get what you're trying to say but acting all high and mighty taking 3 seconds out of the day to click something "worth my while" just sounds pompous.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:34 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:I propose a logical alternative

Logical? So while a thread is open for a series, we are able to post the news in a different topic instead just because? This boils down to the majority of people missing out on the news or having to post the news twice in the same exact forum. That defies all logic.

Also, conform? How is anyone conforming if they are the ones who voted for it? :lol:

I have nothing against you man, I seriously don't. But that post is just pure passion and zero sense. Just let it go, it'll be fine.

Yama has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Ryudo wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote: judge from the title whether it's worth my while opening the thread and poring over its contents.

Sounds a little pretentious. I get what you're trying to say but acting all high and mighty taking 3 seconds out of the day to click something "worth my while" just sounds pompous.

Read it that way if you want, but I don't see anything wrong with what I said. There's nothing "high and mighty" about not wanting to waste time skimming through posts on subjects I don't care about.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Yama
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Ryudo wrote:

Read it that way if you want, but I don't see anything wrong with what I said. There's nothing "high and mighty" about not wanting to waste time skimming through posts on subjects I don't care about.

I see exactly what you mean and agree, nothing pretentious about it.

Yama has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Yama wrote:

Logical? So while a thread is open for a series, we are able to post the news in a different topic instead just because? This boils down to the majority of people missing out on the news or having to post the news twice in the same exact forum. That defies all logic.

Also, conform? How is anyone conforming if they are the ones who voted for it? :lol:

I have nothing against you man, I seriously don't. But that post is just pure passion and zero sense. Just let it go, it'll be fine.

Whoa, dont call me dumb because people post shit in 2 different places. Why not just ask us if we can start making more threads for the discussions that deserve it, instead of locking the most popular and active topics all at once, leaving everyone in a scramble of what to do with their posts. And here you are accusing me of being illogical? Man down my friend, man down.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Man down? Oh God... And thanks for taking any consideration based on the PM I wrote you, classy.

By the way never once called you dumb, just said that post was full of passion more so than logic. You yourself admit to replying first and reading later, hence you wrote a reply out of passion without even knowing what was going on around here.

everyone in a scramble of what to do with their posts

Nobody is in a scramble, I think they've all figured it out within the first five seconds.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:13 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:
Yama wrote:

Whoa, dont call me dumb because people post shit in 2 different places. Why not just ask us if we can start making more threads for the discussions that deserve it, instead of locking the most popular and active topics all at once, leaving everyone in a scramble of what to do with their posts. And here you are accusing me of being illogical? Man down my friend, man down.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:28 pm

You are really starting to piss me off Yama, but i am sure I will forgive you soon enough, im not the grudge type. I read your PM, then read the post I quoted above, which negated any sympathy I had or was feeling before, for the time being.

Its time for a history lesson, our lesson begins in 2011 when the gaming forums still existed. We had sub-forums, Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft, Sony, General. Everything had its own place for discussion, it worked well, games had their own topic, game exclusives were in their respective forums and the fan boys of SD had their own special corner to talk about their favorite company. Jump ahead a year to 2012 and the decision was made to do away with that format, so everything was in one place, I was against the idea because I thought it would clutter and scatter the gaming topics and make specific topics harder to find, which naturally it did. But we all got used to it and moved on. Jump ahead again to now, 2013. We have the problem of not enough topics and extended discussion because its all in one place like the original game plan for removing the gaming sub forums originally was set into motion for. See the dilema? We went with the plan from the changes from last year, and now low and behold, we want it to be the other way around. We want More topics, more game/series specific discussion, which the old format provided better than anything.

I really dont know what to say, or how to advise about this any better than I already have. last year we want one thing, now its like we want the old way back but no one even realizes what we want now is essentially what we had before. Its really starting to irritate the crap out of me. Surely everyone realizes this is whats happening? Think about it.

Whats done is done. It would be far too much work to try to bring back the gaming sub-forums, and I wouldnt wish that task to any staff member here. I just want a inch or 2 of recognition that I tried to warn everyone of this and no one would listen, and here we are a year later, and my fears have come true.

I guess at this point having tried both formats, I dont really care which one we use, I can deal with both. But make up your damn mind about it, its annoying as hell having to go through the drastic forum change on a yearly basis, talk of locking topics and merging forums and all that wears down. We dont need to changing the way we talk to each other on here every year, just come up with the best logical idea and stick with it.

This place will pick up more when and if we ever get more shenmue. We cant force a crowd around here, just let things naturally do what they do, we have a dedicated site to a as of now dead franchise/series its gonna be small and niche, our traffic expectations for these forums are a bit higher than whats actually realistic.

I have said my piece about this and I am not arguing about it anymore, if you want me to help come up with a better game plan for this place, cool, I will do my best. But I am not playing into the current ignorance any longer. I'm sorry but thats the truth, as is everything I have said here in this post. I wouldnt make a post this long and detailed if I didnt love this place, I just hope some of you can realize what I am trying to say here, it makes sense.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54 pm

Outside Yama the site could have not been in worse hands in 2011 running the forums. 2013 Yama and crew the forums could not be in better hands. No one wants 2011 back. No one.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:55 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: You are really starting to piss me off Yama, but i am sure I will forgive you soon enough, im not the grudge type. I read your PM, then read the post I quoted above, which negated any sympathy I had or was feeling before, for the time being.

To be fair, I wrote that reply far before I received a call and had to head out which then lead to a draining afternoon and hence my PM asking you to cut me a break, as I didn't have the time or mindset to deal with such things. But here I am, despite it all, so I might as well give you one last response.

Its time for a history lesson, our lesson begins in 2011 when the gaming forums still existed. We had sub-forums, Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft, Sony, General. Everything had its own place for discussion, it worked well, games had their own topic, game exclusives were in their respective forums and the fan boys of SD had their own special corner to talk about their favorite company. Jump ahead a year to 2012 and the decision was made to do away with that format, so everything was in one place, I was against the idea because I thought it would clutter and scatter the gaming topics and make specific topics harder to find, which naturally it did. But we all got used to it and moved on. Jump ahead again to now, 2013. We have the problem of not enough topics and extended discussion because its all in one place like the original game plan for removing the gaming sub forums originally was set into motion for. See the dilema? We went with the plan from the changes from last year, and now low and behold, we want it to be the other way around. We want More topics, more game/series specific discussion, which the old format provided better than anything.

I really dont know what to say, or how to advise about this any better than I already have. last year we want one thing, now its like we want the old way back but no one even realizes what we want now is essentially what we had before. Its really starting to irritate the crap out of me. Surely everyone realizes this is whats happening? Think about it.

Whats done is done. It would be far too much work to try to bring back the gaming sub-forums, and I wouldnt wish that task to any staff member here. I just want a inch or 2 of recognition that I tried to warn everyone of this and no one would listen, and here we are a year later, and my fears have come true.

I guess at this point having tried both formats, I dont really care which one we use, I can deal with both. But make up your damn mind about it, its annoying as hell having to go through the drastic forum change on a yearly basis, talk of locking topics and merging forums and all that wears down. We dont need to changing the way we talk to each other on here every year, just come up with the best logical idea and stick with it.

This place will pick up more when and if we ever get more shenmue. We cant force a crowd around here, just let things naturally do what they do, we have a dedicated site to a as of now dead franchise/series its gonna be small and niche, our traffic expectations for these forums are a bit higher than whats actually realistic.

I have said my piece about this and I am not arguing about it anymore, if you want me to help come up with a better game plan for this place, cool, I will do my best. But I am not playing into the current ignorance any longer. I'm sorry but thats the truth, as is everything I have said here in this post. I wouldnt make a post this long and detailed if I didnt love this place, I just hope some of you can realize what I am trying to say here, it makes sense.

But what you aren't seeing is there is no problem, everyone voted for it (hence you should be telling the community to make up their mind, not me) and we're continuing in the direction we have been. We got rid of a bunch of forums to have discussion in a single forum, the problem is we were having it in a single thread. We get rid of the thread and now actually utilize the forum. Mission complete.

Listen to this next part carefully and I do mean carefully, please. I did not come up with the idea solely. I received multiple PM's about it over the past month or two. I then took some members suggestions and presented them to the community. The community decided and I acted, for the community. Do not address me anymore in regards to this decision, address all of your piers which is 95% of the site.

I'm going to also present another history lesson. In 2010 this place made 245,000 hits a month, now it makes over 2,000,000+ monthly. It was presented to me because it was dying and when the hosting expired you wouldn't have had a Shenmue Dojo. I took over and now you're still here on a site that prospers despite seemingly dead subject matter.

And yeah, some Shenmue news would be fantastic. We can all agree on that.

Yama has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby OL » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:28 am

No matter which way the forums are set up, people are still free to post whatever they want (within the guidelines, obviously) for all to see. Whether it's all compiled into fewer-but-lengthier topics, or more-but-shorter topics, no one is being limited in what they can post.
There's nothing tyrannical, forceful, or restrictive going on, so I honestly don't see why any of this would elicit anger of any kind.

OL has received 4 thanks from: Bluecast, Mitsuzuki, MiTT3NZ, Yama
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:53 am

I dont see the problem either. Things could always be worse, especially around here with its past. Its not about getting more people.to come to the site, its to encourage activity amongst its current users, and it certainly encourages me. I never looked in any of tjose GD topics, apart from RT, hence i didnt post. But if there are a lot more specific topics, then i will be more motivated to post in ones i do have an opinion on. Your crying over bollox if you ask me. What happened to coll Animegamer from years ago. These days you come off as a grumpy old fart, and thats coming from me of all people!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:04 pm

I keep forgetting about the supposed cheaper version. Would make sense if that always needed a connection.

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue Dojo