Need better bot filters

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

Need better bot filters

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:12 pm

It's getting worse every day and I can't keep up with them.
Any way to get better filters of some sort?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Need better bot filters

Postby nagn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:29 am

can't you put some kind of idiot question like "What is Ryo Hazuki's last name?"
nagn
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spokane » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:18 am

#-o
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Panda_rapist » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:03 am

how about getting new staff as most of the old ones are long inactive,
Panda_rapist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:42 am

I've noticed these bastards on every other forum I frequent. Sometimes not even in forums, they're in comment pages and everything. I'm not a coder so I have no idea what to say other than do a google search and see if anyone has written some 'human check' code for registration and integrate that?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby nagn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:47 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:I've noticed these bastards on every other forum I frequent. Sometimes not even in forums, they're in comment pages and everything. I'm not a coder so I have no idea what to say other than do a google search and see if anyone has written some 'human check' code for registration and integrate that?

probably

doing stuff like that reduce them considerably but it's not perfect, because some bots "remember" what the answer is and tell it to other bots

so it's best to change it every month or something
nagn

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:20 pm

TheGboyKing wrote:how about getting new staff as most of the old ones are long inactive,

There was clean up of the staff when the new owners came in. Out of the current ones though the only people that post on a regular basis are Ryudo and OL.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:00 pm

Axm and Yama do post now and again, along with Kyodai. But i have noticed a bit more of an ad/bot presence these days. Ryudo and OL are on the most but i do feel for them since i know running a forum in this internet day and age that it can be a nightmare with such a thing. I guess more staff to deal with the influx of bots etc could work. I know definitely 3 or 4 names are worthy of such a job, (and long overdue imho). Staff members should not just moderate one or two forums, they should all collectively be active right across the board as much as thy can.
Either that or, perhaps some security codes could be implemented to catch the bots at registration. I dunno but Blue does need abit of a hand around here.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Panda_rapist » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:03 pm

to be fair i do see yama connected nearly everyday even if he doesnt post that often, imo adding a few names could only do good as some of the admins have not even posted since i have been here
Panda_rapist

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:37 pm

TheGboyKing wrote:to be fair i do see yama connected nearly everyday even if he doesnt post that often

I'm pretty sure that who is logged in at the bottom is broken. If you click on someone it says is online thier profile actually says they went offline a while ago.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Panda_rapist » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
TheGboyKing wrote:to be fair i do see yama connected nearly everyday even if he doesnt post that often

I'm pretty sure that who is logged in at the bottom is broken. If you click on someone it says is online thier profile actually says they went offline a while ago.

true sometimes when i deco it still says im online but usually has dissapeared when i log back on a few hours later, i think its just slow
Panda_rapist

Postby Yama » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:53 pm

TheGboyKing wrote:to be fair i do see yama connected nearly everyday even if he doesnt post that often, imo adding a few names could only do good as some of the admins have not even posted since i have been here

Happy someone notices, haha.

Yeah, cleaning up the staff once more really wouldn't hurt, along with adding a user or two. However that's not really a problem moderators should have to deal with anyway. I'll try a few things to rid of them permanently, or close to it, then reassess the mod situation. May not be as noticeable if the bot situation dwindles.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:56 pm

^Thank you Yama.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby QWERTY » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:03 pm

The fucking things are everywhere at the moment. It's a real problem at all the forums I frequent. Sometimes they don't even include links for what they're spamming about, which I find even more bizarre. What's the point?
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Panda_rapist » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:04 pm

thanks yama as it seems even russian and spanish speaking bots have invaded us recently :lol:
Panda_rapist

Next

Return to Shenmue Dojo