should SEGA die if it meant continuing shenmue?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

should SEGA seppuku for shenmue? (Total votes: 28)

yes, let them die.
68%
no, I want them to live forever.
32%

Re: should SEGA die if it meant continuing shenmue?

Postby Schiff » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:14 pm

I want to see what Sega shows at this year TGS. If it's as awful as it was last year (and I guess it will. Just a new Yakuza game, some Sonic stuff, no other IPs), I wish Sega fails and other companies buy their IPs, just like what happened to THQ.
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: ylyon
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5FS

Postby JustRiffled » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:06 pm

I want to see what Sega shows at this year TGS. If it's as awful as it was last year (and I guess it will. Just a new Yakuza game, some Sonic stuff, no other IPs), I wish Sega fails and other companies buy their IPs, just like what happened to THQ.

So you would not want their IP's made by people who originally created or were involved them? Seems strange to me.

Or at least by people who actually know it better than anyone else?

And TGS hasn't really been relevant for anyone for years.

The only development team that worries me currently is Overworks, since they have been making shitty Shining games since VC3.

AM1,2 and 3 have always been doing plenty of Arcade stuff, AM4 have Yakuza...
JustRiffled
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Schiff » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:00 am

their IP's are not made at all, that's the point :( I'd rather let somebody else handle them rather than let them be forgotten
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: ylyon
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5FS

Postby south carmain » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:21 am

JustRiffled wrote:

So you would not want their IP's made by people who originally created or were involved them? Seems strange to me.

so what you are saying is that it's impossible to hire the people who are out of a job as a result of the death of sega and have them work on their IPs?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Nigkon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:11 pm

I don't know because people will lose their jobs, but at the same time, why the hell will you work at Sega?
Nigkon
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: Nigkon
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Nigkon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:11 pm

I don't know because people will lose their jobs, but at the same time, why the hell will you work at Sega?
Nigkon
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: Nigkon

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:16 pm

yes let them die if it meant we get Shenmue 3. That's the only IP I care about from them and I do like Virtua Fighter but I can always play the ones they released.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby lavrentis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:25 pm

I'd sacrifice SEGA for Shenmue 3.
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:06 pm

lavrentis wrote: I'd sacrifice SEGA for Shenmue 3.

me too, hell I'd sacrifice you for shenmue 3.

south carmain has received 3 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, ShenmueTree, wude
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby lavrentis » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:43 am

south carmain wrote:
lavrentis wrote: I'd sacrifice SEGA for Shenmue 3.

me too, hell I'd sacrifice you for shenmue 3.

Only if I got to play Shenmue 3 in heaven.

lavrentis has received a thanks from: wude
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby RyoDC » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:48 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Shenmue is a thing because SEGA made it. Do not forget that.
They just need to get rid of some idiots that got into the company like parasites.

SEGA didn't made Shenmue 3 in any ways. SEGA just gave a strict order to Yu - "We need a killer title on a Dreamcast console".
Yu developed Shenmue with AM2 division. Sales of a game were actually high, but "even if the every holder of Dreamcast console did bought yourtself a two copies of Shenmue game, even that wouldn't cover the loss spent on a production of a game" (see the interview with Takai Hirai). So there's no reason to punish Yu Suzuki for something - he just actually did what he been told to, no more, no less. Game were commerically successive, all the fail are on the company production heads side.
It's not like Yu came to Sega and said 'gimme the money and I would do an amazing thing for you', no, it was totally a Sega intention.
Also, some of you right, about a company, if you read company reviews on sites in internet, many contractors and full-time workers actually criticize company for stagnation, racism, and bad communication between workers, japanesse management, and different departments of the company.
SEGA clearly lacks the communication across departments. Projects are run independently on separate development departments. Technology is not shared between development departments. The lack of communication between development , publicity and marketing results in the opportunity loss

Bad pay, bad management, cliques prevented promotion unless you were in one, petty reactions, being treated like a child, not being trusted. Equipment management wasted time. Offices were not great, didn't get any SEGA related perks. LOADS of bad games to test

(http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/SEGA-C ... 601_P2.htm)

RyoDC has received a thanks from: Giorgio
RyoDC

Postby Ziming » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:04 pm

RyoDC wrote:
SEGA clearly lacks the communication across departments. Projects are run independently on separate development departments. Technology is not shared between development departments. The lack of communication between development , publicity and marketing results in the opportunity loss

Bad pay, bad management, cliques prevented promotion unless you were in one, petty reactions, being treated like a child, not being trusted. Equipment management wasted time. Offices were not great, didn't get any SEGA related perks. LOADS of bad games to test

If this is how Sega operates then how can we expect them to listen to fans? Recently Sega said future remakes and re-releases depend on what fans want.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/24/se ... 15GvPfB.99
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby BigTuna » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:21 pm

No. They should give the Shenmue rights to Valve! haha I'd love a Steam Powered Shenmue game. That'll never happen though.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby mastapeda » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:02 am

Yes. Not more to say :D
mastapeda
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:25 pm

RyoDC wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Shenmue is a thing because SEGA made it. Do not forget that.
They just need to get rid of some idiots that got into the company like parasites.

SEGA didn't made Shenmue 3 in any ways. SEGA just gave a strict order to Yu - "We need a killer title on a Dreamcast console".
Yu developed Shenmue with AM2 division. Sales of a game were actually high, but "even if the every holder of Dreamcast console did bought yourtself a two copies of Shenmue game, even that wouldn't cover the loss spent on a production of a game" (see the interview with Takai Hirai). So there's no reason to punish Yu Suzuki for something - he just actually did what he been told to, no more, no less. Game were commerically successive, all the fail are on the company production heads side.
It's not like Yu came to Sega and said 'gimme the money and I would do an amazing thing for you', no, it was totally a Sega intention.
Also, some of you right, about a company, if you read company reviews on sites in internet, many contractors and full-time workers actually criticize company for stagnation, racism, and bad communication between workers, japanesse management, and different departments of the company.

(http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/SEGA-C ... 601_P2.htm)

Yu didn't make the game alone. He had a lot of talented SEGA people working for him, that also busted their butts creating the game. We are talking about an era when 9/10 games you got for the Dreamcast were a blast to play. Be it JSR, PSO, Crazy Taxi, Samba de Amigo, Chu Chu Rocket, etc. You could literally just buy a random DC game and have the fun of your life. Some of that spirit was on Shenmue, no other company would have the balls to produce such a big vision back then. Like it or not, Shenmue is under SEGA's legacy.

Now, does the current company deserve the license? No. If they don't plan to use it, it's in fact insulting for the fanbase and the main creator of the franchise to have to deal with this impasse. But it would kill me to see SEGA go down...
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III