Will Shenmue 3 take advantage of the PS4 Pro?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Will Shenmue 3 take advantage of the PS4 Pro?

Postby blueswirl » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:36 am

Now that the PS4 Pro has been announced, I'm wondering if Shenmue 3 will take advantage of the possibilities of this new console. I think so because from October 2016 all new games released on PS4 must offer a Pro mode.
But the question is how will Shenmue 3 support the PS4 Pro? Will it run in 1080p 60 fps? Or even in 4K?
I have a 1080p OLED TV and I hope Shenmue 3 will run in 1080p 60fps with extra details. Maybe the standard PS4 version will run in 1080p 30fps with some details/effects disabled?
I'd like to hear what you think!
blueswirl
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Will Shenmue 3 take advantage of the PS4 Pro?

Postby Hanzumon » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:48 pm

I don´t think that Shenmue III should use a 4k-update. I hope that the budget is big enough to give us a very good game with the same voice acting like Shenmue I and II. There is no need for goning to 4k ...
Hanzumon
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: lollipop chainsaw

Postby jcjimher » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:15 pm

I don't think a simple 4K mode would add anything to the cost of development. In fact I fully expect the PC version to be playable at 4k and other resolutions.

A different thing would be adding additional effects or producing higher-quality textures and models. I don't think they'll do that.

I personally would really like if they supported HDR with the game. I have no idea if it adds to the development costs or not, but HDR seems like the kind of improvement that fits a game like Shenmue, where ambience and beauty is so important. And is the kind of innovative technology that Yu Suzuki has always liked to push...
jcjimher
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Telekill » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:36 pm

I could see 4K in Shenmue 3 but I'm really hoping for HDR support as all PS4's will be HDR capable after downloading tomorrow's 4.0 firmware update.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Mr357 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:57 pm

jcjimher wrote: I don't think a simple 4K mode would add anything to the cost of development. In fact I fully expect the PC version to be playable at 4k and other resolutions.

A different thing would be adding additional effects or producing higher-quality textures and models. I don't think they'll do that.

I personally would really like if they supported HDR with the game. I have no idea if it adds to the development costs or not, but HDR seems like the kind of improvement that fits a game like Shenmue, where ambience and beauty is so important. And is the kind of innovative technology that Yu Suzuki has always liked to push...

I agree. Typically with games you have a base "internal" resolution which, if copied for the displayed resolution, will look the best. Downscaling (along with some form of filtering) is necessary to display lower resolutions, and of course upscaling is needed for higher resolutions. With enough upscaling you get noticeable "aliasing" on texture edges. If the internal resolution for Shenmue III is high enough (it should be at least 2560x1440 on PC), then there won't be any issues besides a tiny amount of blurriness for sub-4K players.

You can mitigate aliasing with the post-processing effect, anti-aliasing, but you lose some crispness in the image since you're basically padding on extra pixels to sharp edges.

I doubt anyone needed that explanation, but I felt like typing it up anyway.

Mr357 has received 2 thanks from: Axm, VukBZ2005
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Return to Shenmue III