Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:56 am

Yokosuka wrote: All game developments need effort. But in the sense of Daytona USA 3, it looks more like an opportunity for old employees and friends to find each other and bring back good memories from the past while pleasing the Sega fans at the same time. There's no really ambition in this game and it's an assumed act. Don't expect a significant upgrade from what we've seen at the moment.

I can't say I agree here.

The Daytona USA without the Daytona branding SEGA released fits this description more than 3 does. I can at least give SEGA credit for attempting to bring parts of the original team back together and create a mostly new Daytona rather than just give the original yet another coat of HD paint.

Given that original Daytona USA cabinets are getting rarer because of bit rot/lack of replacement parts, I can appreciate the effort involved simply to give the series an extended lifespan through a new machine, with new music, features, and tracks.

I don't expect much in the way of huge upgrades visually, but I really don't think we should be treating Daytona 3 like a quick cash-in when we already saw that with Sega Racing Classic.

Honestly though? It just makes me appreciate more the lengths Yu Suzuki went through to bring as much of the original Shenmue team back for III, and that Suzuki himself is heading the project. It's kind of like what Peter said a while ago; Yu knows what Shenmue is and what it has to look like intimately, while another director may not be able to tell the difference from something similar, and the true Shenmue look.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:09 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: If indeed the trailer depicts the Shenmue "feel", I would feel satisfied.

If it succeeds not to show any Unreal Engine 4 evidence, I would feel VERY satisfied.

The Daytona 3 teaser was underwhelming partly because of that.

Either way, UE4 is a very versatile engine that is capable of many different looks, unlike UE3. You just need to go look at Gears of War 4 and compare it to the shots of say, Kingdom Hearts 3 to see that it is capable of creating vastly different looking games.

This cannot be stressed enough.

There is no UE4 'look'... The engine is already versatile enough, but not only that, developers can modify the source code of the engine to get the 'look' they're after. Which is probably what Ysnet has done with Shenmue 3.

These are all UE4, and they look entirely different:

Can you say these games share the same 'look'?

At last, but not least... Kid Nocon's own work with UE4:

phpBB [video]
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:51 pm

I can feel the UE4 belonging for some of them but maybe I've a bionic eye. The UE4 specific grain and lightning are more noticeable when you're playing the game actually.

That's one reason why I was not fully satisfied about the February videos at Monaco. Guilin appeared to be a generic forest somewhere in Europe and that's problematic.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:16 pm

Yokosuka wrote:That's one reason why I was not fully satisfied about the February videos at Monaco. Guilin appeared to be a generic forest somewhere in Europe and that's problematic.

I also got the same impression, but I don't think the lighting or UE4 is the reason.
It's probably the vegetation and flora... I remember Suzuki saying he wasn't satisfied with how it looked, and they will include vegetation that's authentic to Guilin in the future.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:25 am

Rikitatsu wrote:I also got the same impression, but I don't think the lighting or UE4 is the reason.
It's probably the vegetation and flora... I remember Suzuki saying he wasn't satisfied with how it looked, and they will include vegetation that's authentic to Guilin in the future.

Mm. I remember him saying this too. Realistically, they were still in the early stages of getting the environments together so it's not a huge surprise things didn't look totally right.

The impressive part of the MAGIC material was Shenhua's house, hands down. Specifically the interior for me, as it looked basically like my memories of Shenmue II.

When I saw this image, I knew that given the time to improve the rest, they'd manage to create something that looks 100% Shenmue.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:54 am

Yokosuka wrote:That's one reason why I was not fully satisfied about the February videos at Monaco. Guilin appeared to be a generic forest somewhere in Europe and that's problematic.

That's what I thought too. The scenery was beatiful, lights, shadows, colors...everything was nice but, as you have said, it looked like any other forest we have already seen in other games.
However Suzuki told in an interview that they cracked the engine to tweak colors and other things so that they can achieve the Shenmue essence.

I'm not really worried about this, even less after Peter said it was Shenmue 100%.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby SMDzero » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:21 pm

Hazuki00 wrote:

That's what I thought too. The scenery was beatiful, lights, shadows, colors...everything was nice but, as you have said, it looked like any other forest we have already seen in other games.
However Suzuki told in an interview that they cracked the engine to tweak colors and other things so that they can achieve the Shenmue essence.

I'm not really worried about this, even less after Peter said it was Shenmue 100%.

What aesthetic qualities did the Guilin environments have in Shenmue 2 that have not yet been replicated in Shenmue 3?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:21 pm

SMDzero wrote:
Hazuki00 wrote:

What aesthetic qualities did the Guilin environments have in Shenmue 2 that have not yet been replicated in Shenmue 3?

I think the shape and colors of the trees, the vegetatiom didn't match what I remember from Shenmue 2. For me, it looked more like a forest from Witcher 3 or skyrim (the style I mean).
I know they'll solve these "problems" and will be able to achieve that Shenmue feel.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:50 pm

Yup, Shenmue had very disctintive flora (mostly because the lack of polypower and good quality textures) that popped to the eye, not just the types of trees. And the SIII trailer we've seen was kinda generic in that department.

And the default lighting pipeline in UE4 is a little "unrealish" but with tweaking the materials to not be always glossy/reflective (really easy to do), tweaking some of the ambient reflections or just creating a couple of shaders would do the work to avoid the generic UE look with little to no work. It's also a matter of trends, now we all like fucking glossy, bloom, grain, reflective, emissive, etc, just to show off. Shenmue will do it's own thing.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:26 am

Only two more Saturdays until PSX, and a little over a week until the next KS update. Everybody feeling excited?

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:31 am

Spaghetti wrote: Only two more Saturdays until PSX, and a little over a week until the next KS update. Everybody feeling excited?

I'm counting hours! Can't wait!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:50 am

Hazuki00 wrote:I'm counting hours! Can't wait!

That's pretty hardcore! I can totally understand why, though.

Things have gone pretty quick since the first PSX speculation came after the Japan KS dinner, but the next few weeks are going to be agony. I'm a terrible clock watcher as it is, so I'm going to be half crazed by the time the 3rd comes around.

There's always the November KS update to sate the appetite, though. I don't expect anything enormous, but it'll help those last few days pass a bit quicker if we've got something to chew on.

I'm fully anticipating some "worst case scenario" theorising before the 3rd, though. We can't help ourselves. It's the burden of being a Shenmue fan; always assume the worst! Hahaha.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:08 am

Spaghetti wrote:I'm fully anticipating some "worst case scenario" theorising before the 3rd, though.

Hey, what if no major update "before December" was another quirk of Cedric's English, and what he meant was "before the end of December"? Now why would they wait until then, specifically? What if "I am not a spoiler" meant he didn't want to spoil our Christmas? Basically, what if the news they're holding back from us is that Shenmue III's been cancelled?

There you go, something to chew on! You're welcome. :)

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:42 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:Hey, what if no major update "before December" was another quirk of Cedric's English, and what he meant was "before the end of December"? Now why would they wait until then, specifically? What if "I am not a spoiler" meant he didn't want to spoil our Christmas? Basically, what if the news they're holding back from us is that Shenmue III's been cancelled?

There you go, something to chew on! You're welcome. :)

:lol:

Shenmue III was a fever dream! Yu spent all the money on striped shirts! We've all been dead the whole time!

I could see "no major update before (the end of) December" being a thing if we start getting panicky hours before PSX.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Hazuki00 wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: I think a better description of the last two updates would be that they've been light on game information. ...

I think they've played it smartly by being restrained with the updates. It's not really in the spirit of "open development" that Kickstarter offers...

That's what I meant, lack of game information in the updates.

Knowing that the last time we saw material from the game was on magic monaco, that's a lot of time (many months) without seeing a simple screenshot. It's about time for them to release something big for the fans.
The developer video it's ok but we couldn't see much more apart from that scene of falling rocks.

At first people thought it would be a more open project but that way the game would have less impact when they release it, so I can understand they don't give much info and screens.

I think a lot of people here should read the thread I made about games being hard to make.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III