Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

Postby Telekill » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Himuro wrote:
Telekill wrote: To me, AAA means, "not indie, flash, phone/tablet, etc.".

Definitions sway according to one's perspective or view point.

There are some games that go from what could be considered AAA (definitions varying) to what could be considered timeless. There are so few for me that fall into the Timeless category that it's almost sad but very understandable. The Shenmue series is one that has made that list for me.

That's not AAA at all. AAA is a game with a budget of 10-300 million.

I can't think of a single indie, flash, phone/tablet, etc. game that cost $10 mil plus to make. Can you?
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Himuro » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Telekill wrote:
Himuro wrote:

There are some games that go from what could be considered AAA (definitions varying) to what could be considered timeless. There are so few for me that fall into the Timeless category that it's almost sad but very understandable. The Shenmue series is one that has made that list for me.

I can't think of a single indie, flash, phone/tablet, etc. game that cost $10 mil plus to make. Can you?

I'm not sure what your point is?

You do realize C, B, A, and AA exists right? Would you call Dynasty Warriors an AAA series? Or something like Gravity Rush or Deadly Premonition? You do realize that there exists games that are more than just AAA (heavy duty multi-million dollar budgets) and indie right?

You also realize that what separates a lot of these games from AAA games is marketing, right? For instance, GTAV's marketing budget was around 100 million, right? That's what defines game classification: money and nothing else.
Last edited by Himuro on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:54 pm

Telekill wrote:
Himuro wrote:

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo publish Smartphone games. Are you saying they're indie games because they didn't cost 10 million dollars to make? :rotflmao:
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Telekill » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:52 pm

Himuro wrote:You do realize C, B, A, and AA exists right? Would you call Dynasty Warriors an AAA series? Or something like Gravity Rush or Deadly Premonition? You do realize that there exists games that are more than just AAA (heavy duty multi-million dollar budgets) and indie right?

You also realize that what separates a lot of these games from AAA games is marketing, right? For instance, GTAV's marketing budget was around 100 million, right? That's what defines game classification: money and nothing else.

I'm quite aware but I keep things simple. No one talks about A, B, and C grade games. I've not once seen anyone talk about B or C. A rated games are rare. I usually see A, AA, AAA, AAAA and AAAAE. I really don't give a damn what each game is rated budget wise. There are exceptions to every rule... one rule that I acknowledge is that most indie, flash, phone/tablet, etc. games are crap. There is usually a diamond in the rough though.

Regardless of Shenmue 3 only having a $6.7 mil budget instead of $10-$200 mil budget, I still consider it AAA. If I'm technically right or wrong by someone's definition doesn't matter to me. It's what I go by.

ShenmueTree wrote:
Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo publish Smartphone games. Are you saying they're indie games because they didn't cost 10 million dollars to make? :rotflmao:

Those games are usually far better quality than most the trash we get on phones\tablets. Big publishers like Sony, Nintendo, MS, EA, etc. all have had their share of phone\tablet games and they are usually decent. Games like the Uncharted mobile game from Sony or EA's Mass Effect on mobile. Obviously not indie, but they are mobile. I did differentiate those.
Last edited by Telekill on Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Monkei » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:55 pm

"Most indie games are crap", wow. That's a pretty damn ignorant and uneducated claim. And if you wanna communicate with others you can't just make up your own definitions of widespread terms like AAA..

"An AAA game (usually pronounced "triple A game") is an informal classification used for video games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion. AAA game development is associated with high economic risk, with high levels of sales required to obtain profitability.

In the mid 2010s the term AAA+ began to be used, describing AAA type games that generated additional revenue over time in a similar fashion to MMOs by using software as a service (SaaS) methods, such as season passes or expansion packs.

The term is analogous to the film industry term "blockbuster".[1]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)

Monkei has received a thanks from: Himuro
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Telekill » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:05 pm

Monkei wrote: "Most indie games are crap", wow. That's a pretty damn ignorant and uneducated claim. And if you wanna communicate with others you can't just make up your own definitions of widespread terms like AAA.. :lol:

I've played hundreds of indie games and most have been crap. Most is equal to at least 51% which is an easy bench mark for crap indie games to reach. My claim stands.

Also... I wouldn't quote Wiki on anything even if it matches your description/definition.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:15 pm

AAA = budget and, by extension, quality (e.g., graphics; gameplay; sound).

Then again, these are all loose definitions with varying degrees of interpretation. Until “AAA” becomes some sort of officially-recognized quality assurance, it’s all moot anyway ;)

For what it’s worth, I fully expect Shenmue 3 to be “AAA” quality-wise. A combination of Unreal 4, decent budgeting, and veteran craftiness makes this far from impossible, IMO.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Monkei » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Telekill wrote:I've played hundreds of indie games and most have been crap. Most is equal to at least 51% which is an easy bench mark for crap indie games to reach. My claim stands.

Also... I wouldn't quote Wiki on anything even if it matches your description/definition.

Sure you have. :lol: Hundreds. And most have been crap. Have you heard of a thing called video game review? If put to the right use that thing could help to make the larger part of the next couple 100 games you play a little more enjoyable for you.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Telekill » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Monkei wrote:
Sure you have. :lol: Hundreds. And most have been crap. Have you heard of a thing called video game review? If put to the right use that thing could help to make the larger part of the next couple 100 games you play a little more enjoyable for you.

How have you not played hundreds? They've been around for well over a decade. Also, reviews don't mean much to me unless there are numerous site's stating the same thing. Almost everything is opinion based these days and I like to form my own.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:50 pm

Uhh, okay.

Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:28 pm

Where on earth has this thread gone? :lol:

Uh, I guess for something on topic... Ryo's jacket is coming along nicely. You can see quite a few details in the shot where he opens the cupboard. There are areas on it around the armpit where the leather has lightened due to stretching and friction through movement, and you can see the same kind of effect on the seams running down the arms.

Makes it a bit perplexing when I see comments about it looking too clean and new, because to me it looks like it's undergone a realistic amount of wear and tear without looking like it's been horribly mistreated/sat in the sun for 20 years.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:43 pm

To change the topic...

Himuro wrote: Anyone notice that when Ryo is standing there and it's dark there's a transition? Nightfall perhaps? \:D/

Anyone? Did we see our first nightfall transition in Shenmue III? :D
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:47 pm

I prefer your trailer theory.

The shot is too tight on the house to be a nightfall scene on that specific place but why not?
Last edited by Yokosuka on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Himuro
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 pm

:-k

Hmm, good point. If it's a trailer I can't wait to see what they've cooked up! \:D/ O:)
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:58 pm

It's not part of a trailer. That whole "Meeting With Yu" section of the video looks like a collection of live gameplay demonstrations and checks. It does look like a cutscene of some kind included in the part they were checking, though.

I'd imagine it was the Nightfall transition, but the lamps are already on in the gameplay that precedes the shot of Shenhua's house. Unless my eyes are playing tricks, it looks like the front door to Shenhua's house is off its hinges too, so maybe that means something?

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III