Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks to mjq jazz bar for finding this out. It seems to have slipped through the net.


A few days ago Corey posted a status on Facebook, and a fan asked him when VO recording for the English dub begins. Corey replied that currently the plan is for him to begin in late May.

Image

While it's possible things could slip, seems the intention is to begin recording ASAP.

User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:28 pm

Where does this speculatively put us in terms of how far development truly is? Could it bode well for an E3 bombshell? Hope so.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:44 pm

Valascaziel wrote: Where does this speculatively put us in terms of how far development truly is? Could it bode well for an E3 bombshell? Hope so.

It's probably too close to E3 to have English VO showcased, if Shenmue III turns up there at all. I'd hazard a guess Japanese VO sessions may have already begun though, so there's that.

In terms of development, VO recording differs from game to game but for the sake of cost effectiveness it's probably loaded towards the back end for Shenmue III, so they don't have to pull the talent back in to re-record if something in development changes that requires new dialogue.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Hanzumon
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Can't wait to hear from that baby faced little Ryo again!
Image
あなたのコンビニ、トマト・マート!


[email protected]
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: April 2012

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:07 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Valascaziel wrote: Where does this speculatively put us in terms of how far development truly is? Could it bode well for an E3 bombshell? Hope so.

It's probably too close to E3 to have English VO showcased, if Shenmue III turns up there at all. I'd hazard a guess Japanese VO sessions may have already begun though, so there's that.

In terms of development, VO recording differs from game to game but for the sake of cost effectiveness it's probably loaded towards the back end for Shenmue III, so they don't have to pull the talent back in to re-record if something in development changes that requires new dialogue.


Do they make the mouth animation once they have the voice recorded or the other way around?

Having in mind they are recording in japanese, maybe they have already made the animation for the japanese voice and they will apply the english voice in the same animation?

After all, we may see the release of the game this year!
User avatar
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: July 2016
Location: Spain
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Hazuki00 wrote:Do they make the mouth animation once they have the voice recorded or the other way around?

Having in mind they are recording in japanese, maybe they have already made the animation for the japanese voice and they will apply the english voice in the same animation?

After all, we may see the release of the game this year!

While it's not been confirmed, I feel fairly confident based on some snippets of test animations seen in the Gamescom progress video they're using some kind of lip tracking technology for main characters like Ryo or Shenhua. So the mouth animations will be generated at the same time they do the VO.

As of right now we don't really know if they're doing lip tracking for both language tracks, or if the English VO will just be a straight dub over the Japanese mouth movements. An optimistic guess is they'll be doing it for both languages.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, VukBZ2005
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:20 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Hazuki00 wrote:Do they make the mouth animation once they have the voice recorded or the other way around?

Having in mind they are recording in japanese, maybe they have already made the animation for the japanese voice and they will apply the english voice in the same animation?

After all, we may see the release of the game this year!

While it's not been confirmed, I feel fairly confident based on some snippets of test animations seen in the Gamescom progress video they're using some kind of lip tracking technology for main characters like Ryo or Shenhua. So the mouth animations will be generated at the same time they do the VO.


This could mean they already have finished all NPCs and main characters as Ryo or Shenhua? If they use lip tracking they "can't" update the bone structure of the face later without redoing this again I suppose, so this could mean they have finished the characters.
I find it hard to explaining myself... ](*,)
User avatar
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: July 2016
Location: Spain
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Jibby » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:14 pm

I can't put into words how happy I am that Corey is reprising his role as Ryo. Nobody else would do (at least, not in the English dub).

It's also probably better to take this as more of a sign that things are progressing well rather than using it to make guesses on how far along development is.
Jibby!
Player of Shenmue
Check out Jibmue on Youtube!

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: iyapol, Reprise
User avatar
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: February 2014
Location: Scotland
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Centrale » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Almost time to get sweaty.
User avatar
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Coromasta » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:42 pm

Man I hope he's allowed to release some samples of him voicing Ryo, curious how his voice has been affected by a decade and a half.
Image
User avatar
Coromasta
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: April 2016
PSN: coromasta
XBL: coromasta91
Nintendo FC: coromasta
Steam: coromasta
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Centrale » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:24 pm

He posts videos occasionally - fortunately his voice still sounds the same. It would be weird if he sounded obviously older. I remember a Dukes of Hazzard game years ago in which Bo and Luke had some grandfatherly, gravelly texture to their voices and it was definitely off-putting.
User avatar
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Sappharad » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Thank you for catching this and thanks to Corey for sharing the information.

This is awesome news and the kind of detail that I wish the kickstarter updates would give us. Just knowing their schedule plans (or a simple status of various objectives) is something I wish they had shared long ago, even if they need to revise it later. It gives us a good indication that things are happening and if they're able to stick to this date late 2018 or early 2019 still seems possible.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: October 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:24 am

Hazuki00 wrote:This could mean they already have finished all NPCs and main characters as Ryo or Shenhua? If they use lip tracking they "can't" update the bone structure of the face later without redoing this again I suppose, so this could mean they have finished the characters.
I find it hard to explaining myself... ](*,)

I don't really know enough about the technology or process myself to say for sure, but I would assume it's not impossible for them to change the character models even after the lip tracking data has been recorded. Maybe they'd have to be re-rigged?

Sappharad wrote:This is awesome news and the kind of detail that I wish the kickstarter updates would give us. Just knowing their schedule plans (or a simple status of various objectives) is something I wish they had shared long ago, even if they need to revise it later.

It's probably best this sort of info is kept off Kickstarter, IMO. People may overreact if things have to be rescheduled.

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if there's an update after recording has started, though.
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Kiske » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:15 am

Knowing that the voice recording usually takes place towards the end of a development cycle, this is really a great and exciting news!

I can't help but think (already) about E3 2018.
We all have hopes for a new trailer at E3 this year and I was wondering if part of Corey's initial work could be used in a trailer in June? Even just for a few words like "I'll have my revenge!" or "So, this is Bailu Village?".

What do you think? Is it technically possible?
Those, who follow the path of a warrior, must be ready to die, in order to stand for one's convictions, live for one's convictions, die for one's convictions. That is how I lived my life.

Image
User avatar
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster
 
Joined: August 2015
Location: Switzerland
PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Postby Jibby » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:40 am

I'm still a bit uncertain about an E3 showing, but if there is and they do something with Shenmue III specific voice lines then my hype will probably be kicked into overdrive haha.
Jibby!
Player of Shenmue
Check out Jibmue on Youtube!

Jibby has received a thanks from: Kiske
User avatar
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: February 2014
Location: Scotland
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Next

Return to Shenmue III

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net