Will Shenmue be F.R.E.E. ?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Will Shenmue be F.R.E.E. ?

Postby Peter » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:10 pm

Hi folks, im new here, but ive been reading posts for months. I tried to register for ages but it kept saying "invalid session"

Anyway im here now (yay) and i just have to say this is the best Shenmue forum on the net and exactly what im looking for!!!

Nothing really much to say about me, just that im a big Shenmue fan from the second i bought the Dreamcast and the third issue of Official Dreamcast Magazine, and read the masterpiece that was in creation called Shenmue. Its a big part of my life and the Series MUST continue.

Anyway i just thought of some random questions that il put below, keep up the good work!!! Slan Leat!!!!

Will Shenmue 3 retain the F.R.E.E. quality that it proudly possessed/created in the first two, or will the series become more linear and fantasy-esque, like the location of Guilin at the end of Shenmue 2?

If the game does stay a F.R.E.E. title, then what jobs would you like to do? and what new perks would you like to spend your hard earned cash on?

Personally, i miss the cassette tapes and the little things like the raffle games, and also the Sega Saturn games you could play in your house like in Shenmue 1?

Im not sure if the third installment of the series will progress in terms of dates much, but would CD's have been about by then??? :D :P
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby sex machiene » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:14 pm

it will retain the FREE aspect of it but i am willing to bet it will become more like a fantasy game to try and boost sales. I would like to do something where i drive a bike like a delivery guy or drive a car r sumthing as a job. I think some of the new perks should be you could buy a computer r sumthing and play games n shit on it. New arcade games would be fun. All new and more things 2 play with
sex machiene
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby code l name » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:50 pm

Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay. As for the topic at hand, I've always viewed the title of full reactive eyes entertainment as something of a buzz word, used to generate hyped and excitement before Shenmue's release.

Sure it blends together different genres, gameplay mechanics but as complex as the game is- your freedom has its limits. I've always said I would love to see the concept taken to the next step, because there are limitless possibilities and potential to have a really dynamic, truly interactive environment. However after Shenmue's lukewarm reception, not many developers seem to have shyed away from the concept and probably with good reason.

What jobs would I like to see? Well it all depends on the setting and location Ryo is in. At the moment being in rural China, I can't see him driving a van or car around, but hopefully they can think of something that was as fun as the forklift job in the original, because moving crates defined the word monotony.
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Axm » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:59 pm

welcome!
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Spoonfan » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 pm

I was just thinking about this yesterday. Does Ryo need to have a job in Shenmue III? 'FREE' isn't just about moving crates around, it's about the freedom the player is given. It's possible for the game to remain 'FREE' and still contain fantasy-type elements.
Spoonfan
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Casey Jones » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:32 pm

Of course he needs a job. What we'll probably end up with is something stupid with crates as usual. I also doubt they will bring back the "greatness" that was in Shenmue 1, such as playing hang on in the living room, or listening to cassettes. Although Shenmue 2 was an excellent game, I hope, although doubt, 3 will improve on job status and/or freedom.
Casey Jones
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Teh Dave » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:53 am

He should get a job as a male stripper.

Samurai boy! Take it off!

Umm...

Woooo! The pants! The pants!

Yeah...
Teh Dave
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby rome » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:06 pm

uhh no...not as a male stripper.....he should work in bailu village.....helping with stuff... and he stays in a house, maybe with Shenhua.........but anyway welcome to the dojo Peter......have fun...
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Beck » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:33 pm

I hope they do keep F.R.E.E. I dont want to see it turned into a Final Fantasy type game. And they will keep F.R.E.E, i just know it. Ryo should get jobs helping round the village, maybe hunting, farming, teaching people the Hazuki style of Martial arts maybe? That'd be cool.
Beck
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby b_ren » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:09 pm

Welcome :D
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:22 pm

I think,with the way Shenmue 2 ended, that the game IS going more Fantasy like.

The way i seen it was Lan Di and Ryo would fight sometime in the series. I believe Lan Di possesses some sort of black magic, like look at the way he man-handled the Hazuki's in the beginning of Shenmue. Now because of this he is able to beat Ryo to near death and get the phoenix mirror. In joining the mirrors The Dragon Chiyou is resurrected, all in a fantasy-esque tpye of game, a la the end of Shenmue 2. Amongst all the commotion, Ryo has crawled to the two mirrors (which Lan Di has dropped with the connection of the two, sending an electrical charge through his body) and joins the mirrors himself. With Ryo's intentions being good and pure,

"the phoenix descends from above, its wings shall create a purple wind, in amongst a pitch black night, a single star shall shine, alone............."

The phoenix destroys the Chiyou and Lan Di has been stripped of his powers that make him stronger, and Ryo has been re-healthed. Now its a fair fight between the two.........

Sorry folks i got abit carried awat there,but i do think that the game will become more of a fantasy type game, but this is Shenmue, no doubt Digitalrex will do it well, if they do it.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Return to Shenmue III