Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Besides, it says they're listening. Let's make them prove it.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:10 pm

You better not pout, you better not cry; Shenmue's exclusive to mobile, SEGA's going in dry
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:17 pm

I'd hope not, but it's the only news I've seen about ports in a while.

Sorry for disappointing my fans. Just thought it was notable enough news to share & now we have one more Sega corporate account to bother.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Shadow2222 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Esppiral wrote:

The morning fog's wave

It isn't Shenmue. I found another photo of the cassette and it is Last Wave from Outrun.
Shadow2222
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:59 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:When did "life is strange is like Shenmue" stuff started? I guess it's a matter of opinion but being one of those guys that says Yakuza and Shenmie are two completely different beasts, the comparison to telltale type games leaves me even more perplexed.

It comes from people recognizing common traits within games that aren't exactly alike.

Shenmue has no direct equivalent, however if you were to describe it to a modern gamer you could easily use both Life is Strange and Yakuza as points of reference to help them understand what certain aspects of the game are like.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:09 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:When did "life is strange is like Shenmue" stuff started? I guess it's a matter of opinion but being one of those guys that says Yakuza and Shenmie are two completely different beasts, the comparison to telltale type games leaves me even more perplexed.

It comes from people recognizing common traits within games that aren't exactly alike.

Shenmue has no direct equivalent, however if you were to describe it to a modern gamer you could easily use both Life is Strange and Yakuza as points of reference to help them understand what certain aspects of the game are like.

"shenmie" :lol: i needed more sleep...

I believe the Shenmue experience is the middle of both genres. There is a balance of story driven content with 3D fighting, RPG mechanics and other yakuza esque mini games.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kintor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:10 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: I believe the Shenmue experience is the middle of both genres. There is a balance of story driven content with 3D fighting, RPG mechanics and other yakuza esque mini games.

It's really hard to describe Shenmue in the context of recent games. So much of what became the open world genre was pioneered by Shenmue. Consequently Shenmue took things in its own experimental direction, in ways that later games didn't follow.

To this day I still think that Shenmue's world offers a more immersive experience then the sprawling environments of GTA V, for example. Shenmue has come close than any other game to successfully creating the atmosphere of a living and breathing digital world.

Regardless, how would I describe Shenmue to a gamer today that doesn't know anything about it? I suppose that I'd emphasis that Shenmue is a unique experience, unmatched by any game franchise before or since. Part life-simulator, part fighting game, part RPG - all against the backdrop of a murder mystery that explores the nature of revenge in the context of martial arts philosophy.

Kintor has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:29 pm

The best explanation of Shenmue concept is readable in the Dreamcast booklet. It's the sum of four distinct phases which are Free Quest, QTE, Free Battle (VS Fighting) and View Mode (cinematic) in a virtual breathing open world where your need to investigate to make progress.
The Free Quest is itself composed of deep gameplay elements: Movement, action, conversation and free eye interaction. Free Battle is divided between vital fights, training and master learning. AM2's skill and inspiration fill the boxes.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby fittersau » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:10 pm

Yokosuka wrote: The best explanation of Shenmue concept is readable in the Dreamcast booklet. It's the sum of four distinct phases which are Free Quest, QTE, Free Battle (VS Fighting) and View Mode (cinematic) in a virtual breathing open world where your need to investigate to make progress.
The Free Quest is itself composed of deep gameplay elements: Movement, action, conversation and free eye interaction. Free Battle is divided between vital fights, training and master learning. AM2's skill and inspiration fill the boxes.

While those are nice features to highlight in a game that dates back to 1999, it's pretty much bread and butter for many games released these days.

Anyway, if Bluepoint games can remake Shadow of the Colossus, I can't see why Shenmue 1 & 2 can't also receive a full make over. Hell, I'd be satisfied with a HD renderer upscale we have now with the PC but on PS4, but with a promise of a full remake.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:35 pm

I still find it pretty current and accurate.
Conversation and free eye interaction are supposed to be deeper and more essential than other games. Master learning are authentic part of Shenmue experience. Then it's all about places and object situations in Free Quest with some creative contextual action.
The four principles are basically how AM2 built the gamedesign from start to finish and changing the method for Shenmue III would not make sense so YSnet is surely making the game the same way AM2 did. It may look simple but the original concept "The Old Man and the Peach Three" was as well.
Of course there is an original art dimension above all of that. Shenmue's one is to inspire the player to peacefully take his time while other games are mainly fast paced action games. This was the assumed Suzuki's goal when he conceptualized Shenmue.

Overall, I view Shenmue as the advanced story mode of Virtua Fighter.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby celsowm » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:58 am

I think Sega Forever will be the emulation service using RetroArch
celsowm
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby fittersau » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:04 am

Yokosuka wrote: I still find it pretty current and accurate.
Conversation and free eye interaction are supposed to be deeper and more essential than other games. Master learning are authentic part of Shenmue experience. Then it's all about places and object situations in Free Quest with some creative contextual action.
The four principles are basically how AM2 built the gamedesign from start to finish and changing the method for Shenmue III would not make sense so YSnet is surely making the game the same way AM2 did. It may look simple but the original concept "The Old Man and the Peach Three" was as well.
Of course there is an original art dimension above all of that. Shenmue's one is to inspire the player to peacefully take his time while other games are mainly fast paced action games. This was the assumed Suzuki's goal when he conceptualized Shenmue.

Overall, I view Shenmue as the advanced story mode of Virtua Fighter.

Oh agree, good summary.

I would say for Shenmue above any game I've played, Shenmue incorporates the Taoist philosophy as another hallmark of the series. Being able to think spiritually and walk on the road to forgiveness is probably what Ryo's ultimate goal will be. This spiritual connection Yu Suzuki has interwoven into the game is what I believe binds us so intimately into Ryo's story as well as the learning he receives from various masters and opponents along the way.

In many ways, the communal catharsis was released when on that fateful day 15th June 2015 Adam Boyes announced Shenmue 3 was being made and a Kickstarter was beginning.

These reactions say it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UcCUuSoEE

My eyes still moisten when I watch the announcement. Our connection with Yu's story goes beyond simple enjoyment of a video game to something spiritual that only those who have spent the hours playing Shenmue will ever understand.

I hope fellow Dojo members will look beyond any misgivings they have with the current progress of Shenmue and also contention amongst Dojo members to fully appreciate Shenmue's message.

fittersau has received a thanks from: Kiske
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:22 am

Tweeted by Shenmue Forever:

Let's Get Sweaty has received 5 thanks from: Esppiral, Kiske, punkmanced, Spaghetti, Suzuki Yu
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:52 am

I've been saying for 10 years and i'll say it again; there won't be a shenmue hd rerelease. not ever. can't believe so many people here get their hopes up based on nothing. why would sega re-release these games? answer that question. there is no reason. hell even square had to bend backwards to do hd rereleases of final fantasy 10 (and now 12) which actually was a commercial monster success unlike shenmue. and shenmue is more expensive to rerelease as well.
Last edited by drunkensailor on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:54 am

Amir wrote: Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if we get nothing major regarding Shenmue HD or Shenmue III until E3 2018. With Shenmue III not seeing release until late next year, I think they'll just go for one 6 month long marketing push.

that won't happen since shenmue 3 will be released in the summer of 2018 most likely an e3 2018 would be way too late to announce hd remakes.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III