KS Update #32 - Capsule Blowout and more!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: KS Update #32 - Capsule Blowout and more!

Postby Peter » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:07 am

Dragon St. wrote: I really hope they use a separate toy vending machine for all of these faces.

This could be true actually, and I'd love that. It would make collection building much less confusing.

Peter has received a thanks from: Yama
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby itani » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:09 am

Dragon St. wrote: I really hope they use a separate toy vending machine for all of these faces.

In the 1.8 tier some of the main characters are with your toy capsule. Lan di, Nozomi, Ryo and so on.
itani
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Reprise » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:10 am

All these rewards are getting confusing...
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ElephantStone » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:13 am

itani wrote:

In the 1.8 tier some of the main characters are with your toy capsule. Lan di, Nozomi, Ryo and so on.

Ugh... Shenmue characters as capsule toys. This is just getting fucking stupid, honestly. These rewards are going to make Shenmue III a parody of itself.
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby James Brown » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:14 am

Yeah, i'm really going out of my way to get the $1500 for what I thought was going to be something so special and unqiue, and now they're using the same sort of idea and making rewards half the price. I don't know what to do now really, and it's not a good thing making us pick. Kickstarters usually the more you pay, you get everything below aswell. Now theirs too many individual tiers, that not only is it confusing to new backers, but it's proving hard to see where the real value is in what they are offering you. I want to stay with my photo in Choubo harbour, cause I still think that will have more impact than a cartoon drawing representation of myself on a capsule toy. They really need to just add the $1400 tier to the $1500 to stop people from dropping to these new lower tiers imo
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby zach » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:15 am

Reprise wrote: All these rewards are getting confusing...

Soon it's over! \:D/
zach
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza 4, Cave Story

Postby Reprise » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:19 am

James Brown wrote: Yeah, i'm really going out of my way to get the $1500 for what I thought was going to be something so special and unqiue, and now they're using the same sort of idea and making rewards half the price. I don't know what to do now really, and it's not a good thing making us pick. Kickstarters usually the more you pay, you get everything below aswell. Now theirs too many individual tiers, that not only is it confusing to new backers, but it's proving hard to see where the real value is in what they are offering you. I want to stay with my photo in Choubo harbour, cause I still think that will have more impact than a cartoon drawing representation of myself on a capsule toy. They really need to just add the $1400 tier to the $1500 to stop people from dropping to these new lower tiers imo

Agreed. I think Awesome Japan have tried too hard to turn things around. To their credit, they had everyone calling them the worst names and practically running to their offices with pitchforks and they really have tried to do the best they can since and address people's criticisms. They were doing well. Were doing well.

Now it seems they've gone too far in the opposite direction and are just randomly throwing together as many random ass rewards together (and random tiers) as possible. It's confusing to new backers and existing backers. Some rewards are included in higher tiers and some aren't. It's also alienating to existing pledges who thought they had something special, but now it's been diluted by all the similar rewards that are less money. It'll probably make some people drop their pledges too.

In my opinion, they should have kept it simple, with each high tier reward including all the rewards below it.

Reprise has received 2 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, James Brown
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:23 am

They're still earning a profit and probably making up for dropped tiers in quantity. I don't think they'll experience a loss because of these rewards and it'll probably spread our images to many things rather than having our many images on a few things. I guess I'm just trying to put a positive spin on things, but it's not all doom and gloom, either. At least they're not trying to mass produce plastic/stone/wood trinkets that'll definitely take more money out of their pockets.

But it wouldn't have been too hard to add a digital/physical bundle, right I think that's all anyone wanted at this point. We definitely didn't need three separate capsule toy tiers.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby joka » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:29 am

I just dropped from 1500 to 1200 and I might actually go lower because the guestbook aspect of the reward was cooler to me than the photo itself!

The 1500 reward is nowhere near as attractive now- I think they saw the success of that reward and got a bit too carried away!

This has gotten silly and confusing now as Rig, James and others have said- too many similar rewards overlapping and its not going to make a huge difference as it'll mainly be existing backers just chopping and changing rewards like i have rather than new backers.

They needed new stretch goals after 5million really.
Last edited by joka on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:31 am

What they need is actual pledge addons.

I would want pc+ps4 copy, another artbook, the scrolls and maybe some of those temple things (they've got like 3 different of those ? lol).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:37 am

joka wrote: I just dropped from 1500 to 1200 and I might actually go lower because the guestbook aspect of the reward was cooler to me than the photo itself!

The 1500 reward is nowhere near as attractive now- I think they saw the success of that reward and got a bit too carried away!

This has gotten silly and confusing now as Rig, James and others have said- too many similar rewards overlapping and its not going to make a huge difference as it'll mainly be existing backers just chopping and changing rewards like i have rather than new backers.

They needed new stretch goals after 5million really.

I agree. I don't think they'll lose money because of what they've done, but it did nothing to solve the backer issue.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Reprise » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:39 am

joka wrote: I just dropped from 1500 to 1200 and I might actually go lower because the guestbook aspect of the reward was cooler to me than the photo itself!

See, this concerns me! It could negatively impact the funding levels. Sure, I don't imagine funding will go down, but I do think growth will slow down from people doing the same.

And it's not encouraging people like me who are on lower tiers, because I've already pledged as much as I can and I personally don't care about having my name or face or whatever in the game.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby joka » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:40 am

Reprise wrote:

See, this concerns me! It could negatively impact the funding levels. Sure, I don't imagine funding will go down, but I do think growth will slow down from people doing the same.

And it's not encouraging people like me who are on lower tiers, because I've already pledged as much as I can and I personally don't care about having my name or face or whatever in the game.

Just being honest... And I'm not one of the 3 Rig spotted so guessing they feel the same way that the new 600 reward devalues the 1500.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:42 am

It's funny that the simplest solution, adding bundle packages for the actual game, is the one they're not going for. I'm not worried any of this will actually hurt the game or Kickstarter, but I don't think it's the shot in the arm it needs. But it's interesting they're still adding things with seven days to go. There's still hope this isn't the end.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:49 am

Guys you can just change your reward by going to the "Manage" tab on the Kickstarter page. Keep your pledge amount the same and just change to a lower tier reward if you want it. I'm really interested in that Guestbook message at $600 and I've pledged $815. I will happily keep that extra $215 in there.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III