Securing Shenmue's future

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Securing Shenmue's future

Postby ChiefNeo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:16 am

I've already given over 300. My plan is not to give any more until the game comes out. If the game comes out and it manages to make me happy, as I fully expect it to, then my plan is to go around like a moron, literally buying a retail copy here and there...indefinitely. I kinda facepalm at myself when I read that. I'm not a stupid man haha I am not made out of money...and yet, for Shenmue....this sounds like a fantastic way to spend what money I have.

I fully expect to end up with 10-15 copies of the game.
ChiefNeo
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:37 am

One thing's for sure: Shenmue III's never going to end up in a landfill like ET. Even if the rest of the world hates it, there'll still be rabid fans snapping up every copy to build themselves huts to live in after losing their homes. :lol:
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:19 am

Copies of Shenmue III will be the currency in the post-apocalypse. :lol:

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: punkmanced
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:45 am

ChiefNeo wrote: I've already given over 300. My plan is not to give any more until the game comes out. If the game comes out and it manages to make me happy, as I fully expect it to, then my plan is to go around like a moron, literally buying a retail copy here and there...indefinitely. I kinda facepalm at myself when I read that. I'm not a stupid man haha I am not made out of money...and yet, for Shenmue....this sounds like a fantastic way to spend what money I have.

I fully expect to end up with 10-15 copies of the game.

You could always just gift multiple random people copies on Steam; at least that way they'll go to good use instead of ending up as a sacred footrest :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:59 am

As desperately as I want Shenmue 3 to succeed, if Shenmue 1 and 2 HD don't come out (as most of us probably expect) I wouldn't be suprised if the game barely scrapes 250k sold including kickstarter/slacker backer sales.

If they do release Shenmue 1 and 2 HD I think the game could possibly hit 500k or there abouts.. At most..

and in the best case scenario where we get HD remakes and Sony shove a whole bunch of marketing behind it comparable to larger budget AAA titles (unlikely) we might hit a million. I've seen many big budget titles with big market pushes struggle over the one million mark.

I think anymore than that is probably a fantasy. I just hope it's enough to wrap things up with Shenmue 4.

I honestly never expected this to last past this kickstarter and Shenmue 3 and I was actually quite concerned when he said he isn't trying to wrap everything up with Shenmue 3. Not because I don't want more,but that I think asking for more past Shenmue 3 is so unlikely we are going to end up giving ourselves another cliff hanger we will never see a conclusion to.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:25 am

I can't agree that 500K is the best case scenario on two highly successful platforms. The original Shenmue did over double that on Dreamcast.

Let that sink in. Dreamcast.

The market is more accommodating of niche titles these days, and if the game is good enough, it'll hopefully enjoy a long and successful life on digital platforms after the initial retail sales burst is over.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:26 am

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote: As desperately as I want Shenmue 3 to succeed, if Shenmue 1 and 2 HD don't come out (as most of us probably expect) I wouldn't be suprised if the game barely scrapes 250k sold including kickstarter/slacker backer sales.

If they do release Shenmue 1 and 2 HD I think the game could possibly hit 500k or there abouts.. At most..

and in the best case scenario where we get HD remakes and Sony shove a whole bunch of marketing behind it comparable to larger budget AAA titles (unlikely) we might hit a million. I've seen many big budget titles with big market pushes struggle over the one million mark.

I think anymore than that is probably a fantasy. I just hope it's enough to wrap things up with Shenmue 4.

I honestly never expected this to last past this kickstarter and Shenmue 3 and I was actually quite concerned when he said he isn't trying to wrap everything up with Shenmue 3. Not because I don't want more,but that I think asking for more past Shenmue 3 is so unlikely we are going to end up giving ourselves another cliff hanger we will never see a conclusion to.

Nobody can forecast what will happen so make predictions is in vain.

I hope it will be a success as it deserves!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:26 am

I think it'll sell a ton on the PC just because there's tremendous hype and mystique surrounding the series. This projection is not based on empirical evidence. If Sony wants to build another franchise for their console, they will promote the game on the PS4 ecosystem, provided it isn't garbage, and more curious people will buy it.

Don't pretty obscure JRPGs sell into the millions these days? I remember back when I was a kid it felt like no one even know what Final Fantasy was. Now I see Final Fantasy XV ads on the sides of buses.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Shenmue_Music » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:29 am

Am I the only one here that doesn't want Shenmue 4 to be the last one (if it actually is). I actually want 5 or 6 installments.
But of course ideally, I would hope it never ends!

Shenmue_Music has received a thanks from: Suzuki Yu
Shenmue_Music
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:53 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: I think it'll sell a ton on the PC just because there's tremendous hype and mystique surrounding the series. This projection is not based on empirical evidence. If Sony wants to build another franchise for their console, they will promote the game on the PS4 ecosystem, provided it isn't garbage, and more curious people will buy it.

Don't pretty obscure JRPGs sell into the millions these days? I remember back when I was a kid it felt like no one even know what Final Fantasy was. Now I see Final Fantasy XV ads on the sides of buses.

And any gamer on the PC worth his salt will be well aware of emulators so in the (not best choice of) practicality, they will already have access to Shenmue 1 and 2 semi HD on NullDC or Demul. If Sega don't want to capitalise that, I will happily promote DC emulators to play Shenmue games regardless if it's against the law or not.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:02 pm

Remember--we live in an age where nostalgia is huge and can have massive benefits, especially in gaming.

Look at NiER...one of the most niche, but beloved RPGs of the PS3 era. It barely sold when I worked at GameStop, but generated a big cult following like Shenmue did.

No one *ever* thought it'd get a sequel, but here it comes, by Platinum Games no less and has subsequently become of the most anticipated games of next year.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:17 pm

Nier Automata is backed by Square. If SEGA gave Shenmue another chance perhaps that comparison would make more sense. Shenmue III is a kickstarter title, there is no need to stress over sale numbers since we already funded the game. Whatever extra copies it sells, it will go directly into Sony/YSnet bank.

Now, wouldn't it be great if Shenmue III sold 1M and Sony gave Yu Suzuki Kojima-esque treatment? Certainly!
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anonymous81 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Seeing as how I plan to NEVER open my backer edition(s,) and plan on buying one of every version they release on top of that, I'd say I'm covered at least lol. :P
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Suzuki Yu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:09 pm

Shenmue_Music wrote: Am I the only one here that doesn't want Shenmue 4 to be the last one (if it actually is). I actually want 5 or 6 installments.

me too. but i don't want it to be an endless series since one of the great things about this series is how the whole story is structured in such a way. a successor is what i would like to have.
i want 6 games or 5 at the very least. (if it was't for Suzuki's age i would ask for more!)
Shenmue is supposed to be a gigantic saga, there are many places within the mainland of China planned to be part of Ryo's Adventure. with 6 games it's already a huge compromise to be taken! i really don't understand the people who want to conclude the story as fast as possible! it will be bad and ruin the entire thing!
even if SIII became a failure i would rather take a proper Shenmue without real ending than a rushed and unfocused Shenmue experience just to finish the story!

Suzuki Yu has received a thanks from: Shenmue_Music
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Shenmue_Music » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:38 pm

Suzuki Yu wrote:
Shenmue_Music wrote: Am I the only one here that doesn't want Shenmue 4 to be the last one (if it actually is). I actually want 5 or 6 installments.

me too. but i don't want it to be an endless series since one of the great things about this series is how the whole story is structured in such a way. a successor is what i would like to have.
i want 6 games or 5 at the very least. (if it was't for Suzuki's age i would ask for more!)
Shenmue is supposed to be a gigantic saga, there are many places within the mainland of China planned to be part of Ryo's Adventure. with 6 games it's already a huge compromise to be taken! i really don't understand the people who want to conclude the story as fast as possible! it will be bad and ruin the entire thing!
even if SIII became a failure i would rather take a proper Shenmue without real ending than a rushed and unfocused Shenmue experience just to finish the story!

Exactly. Great minds think alike!
Shenmue_Music
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III