The Kickstarter Just Hit $4 Million!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: The Kickstarter Just Hit $4 Million!

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:06 pm

That $8million + for the Choubu and Bailu mini games etc is irritating me. If those stretch goals aren't reached do you think there is a possibility Yu and his team could just place a copy of the Baisha village mini games into those areas. I don't see why it would require an extra $3 million in funding. Shenmue 2 had the same mini games in various areas just with a unique NPC.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Three Blades » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:11 pm

I was thinking the same thing. I don't want those to be just another sakuragaoka- essentially a place you just pass through.
I hope they find a way to add those features even if the KS doesn't reach those numbers.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:16 pm

I wouldn't get too caught up in the specifics of each stretch goal tier. New ideas can come up during development and priorities can be changed. To me, the most important thing is more money = better for development.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby LucBu » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Sonoshee wrote: That $8million + for the Choubu and Bailu mini games etc is irritating me. If those stretch goals aren't reached do you think there is a possibility Yu and his team could just place a copy of the Baisha village mini games into those areas. I don't see why it would require an extra $3 million in funding. Shenmue 2 had the same mini games in various areas just with a unique NPC.

Maybe the areas those levels are based on actually had different kinds of games that Yu experienced when travelling through. He's one for appropriate detail, always culturally relevant and contextual.

I definitely think if the Kickstarter doesn't get enough money he would just make variations of the same game with different vendors if worse comes to worse. But it's Yu, so he's looking to the horizon.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:42 pm

I wish Sony would just pick up the slack afterward with whatever we don't fund but that wouldn't look good on either Sony or Yu.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ConanTheKing » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:46 pm

Sonoshee wrote: That $8million + for the Choubu and Bailu mini games etc is irritating me. If those stretch goals aren't reached do you think there is a possibility Yu and his team could just place a copy of the Baisha village mini games into those areas. I don't see why it would require an extra $3 million in funding. Shenmue 2 had the same mini games in various areas just with a unique NPC.

I think these stretch goals are rough estimates and that reaching a stretch goal also covers improved quality control overall throughout the game. It's like the subtitles, of course they probably do not cost as much as the stretch goals would have you believe but it's the noteworthy aspect of the stretch goal worth mentioning in addition to various smaller aspects such as bug testing, NPC variety etc.
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Drakul » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:16 pm

I see they're at 4.16M now but the 4.2M goal is marked as reached.... did something happen?

Now to get more money I think they can:
- add more I Am Shenmue pledges. these sold like hotcakes so no reason not to
- slide in a stretch goal to add Red Shirt Guy in the game, I think a lot of fans would find it fun and pledge more to see that, use the momentum of the twitch to do it.
- add a special kickstarter Dreamcast box. I'd be all over this like a $ on %
Drakul

Postby Amir » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:56 pm

Drakul wrote: I see they're at 4.16M now but the 4.2M goal is marked as reached.... did something happen?

But what box to go for? The European ones were proprietary (and were ridiculously fragile, would prob break in shipping :P ), the US ones were just standard jewel cases (and went from white to black, I guess black makes sense since Shenmue I US was one of the first black case games if I recall correctly), and the Japanese ones aren't anything special either (maybe just the novelty of having an obi strip?). It's not really as enticing a reward as an N64 box was for Yooka-Laylee kickstarter backers.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby ElephantStone » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Definitely the PAL cases. Coolest fucking video game cases ever made - one look at a shelf of those little baddies and I'm instantly transported back to being a 10 year old kid playing Dreamcast in my bedroom.
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby Amir » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:05 pm

The PAL games all had black and white manuals due to having longer manuals for multiple languages, though, the US and JP games had much nicer colour manuals.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:41 am

Amir wrote: The PAL games all had black and white manuals due to having longer manuals for multiple languages, though, the US and JP games had much nicer colour manuals.

The manual covers were still in colour though :P
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Drakul » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Amir wrote:
Drakul wrote: I see they're at 4.16M now but the 4.2M goal is marked as reached.... did something happen?

But what box to go for? The European ones were proprietary (and were ridiculously fragile, would prob break in shipping :P ), the US ones were just standard jewel cases (and went from white to black, I guess black makes sense since Shenmue I US was one of the first black case games if I recall correctly), and the Japanese ones aren't anything special either (maybe just the novelty of having an obi strip?). It's not really as enticing a reward as an N64 box was for Yooka-Laylee kickstarter backers.

That's a good point. I have all 3 kinds of games for my DC so I don't know.
My copy of Shenmue 1 is JP and my copy of 2 is PAL so.... i guess PAL is definitely more iconic.
Drakul

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:09 pm

$10,000 to go to reach the Baisha Village Expanded: Additional Quest stretch goal \:D/
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Previous

Return to Shenmue III