"Indie" or "AAA" game?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: "Indie" or "AAA" game?

Postby Otacon_ahs » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:39 pm

I don't think Shenmue 3 will be anything like 1 or 2. I mean, small place with focus on Shenhua and Ryo. I don't think we could compare them. It's a bit different. BUT it will be very important for funding Shenmue IV and the possibility to go back to AAA games.
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue I

Postby Kobe » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:43 pm

Otacon_ahs wrote: I don't think Shenmue 3 will be anything like 1 or 2. I mean, small place with focus on Shenhua and Ryo. I don't think we could compare them. It's a bit different. BUT it will be very important for funding Shenmue IV and the possibility to go back to AAA games.

I would love the story to be carried on and experience another Shenmue but one that is focused on Shenhua and Ryo and different to 1 and 2 needs to be satisfying and hold up to the two previous games otherwise it does upset the spirit of Shenmue.

I mean they need to at least get everything on point. Music, action, environments, you name it.
Kobe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:02 pm

Otacon_ahs wrote: I don't think Shenmue 3 will be anything like 1 or 2. I mean, small place with focus on Shenhua and Ryo. I don't think we could compare them. It's a bit different. BUT it will be very important for funding Shenmue IV and the possibility to go back to AAA games.

Yeah, I still remember the complains about Shenmue II being too different from the original. I hope fans will not be too harsh. I'm really pleased with the idea of each episode having its own essence.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:03 pm

Stupid question. We have so many legends of the industry in the team and Yu Suzuki leading the development, the only team members here that are not really AAA are in the PR and Kickstarter management, we got far more than double the required money (going towards triple), paypal as an option in the future, so this is as much "indie" as if Mercedes Benz develops a new car...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Otacon_ahs » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Yeah, I still remember the complains about Shenmue II being too different from the original. I hope fans will not be too harsh. I'm really pleased with the idea of each episode having its own essence.

Really? I always thought that Shenmue II was the best since Ryo arrives at Hong Kong with the same information as the player. I mean, there's no friends with names that only Ryo knows. You actually make friends together, with Ryo. Shenmue II would be perfect for new players (with a short intro from the first).
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue I

Postby ConanTheKing » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:14 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Shenmue 4 is the AAA.

THIS!

Shenmue 3 comes out, proves fan demand, goes on to a successful release commercially and Sony snap up the rights and fully fund Shenmue 4. That's your AAA Shenmue with online fighting multiplayer, fully fleshed out locations, modernised game mechanics and more.
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Drakul » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:31 pm

I'm so confused by this discussion. All he said was that Shenmue wasn't funded by SEGA (a big editor) but was an independent game (so the editors are just handling distribution).
It has nothing to do with scale, engine or anything else.
Drakul

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Kingdom Come, another good looking game from kickstarter
phpBB [video]

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... escription
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby zach » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:22 pm

Shenmue 3 will be a deeper game instead of a bigger game and that's fine with me.
Disc 4 of Shenmue II is pure bliss.

zach has received a thanks from: Reprise
zach
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza 4, Cave Story

Postby PILMAN » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Kingdom Come, another good looking game from kickstarter
phpBB [video]

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... escription

I actually financed Kingdom Come as well, looks great. Sounds like all of us here have the same taste.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby robatfreedom » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:36 am

Hahahaha.
Sorry I just find it funny that people cling onto marketing buxxwords like this.
I mean what does AAA mean, whaat does indie mean?

Seriously.

It could be both you know? I mean it won't,but it could be. Look at Project CARS. One of the best looking comsole racing games ever. It cost less to develop than what Shenmue 3 will probably raise. (BTW Bandai Namco is the distributor, not the publisher)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzv7amJEk2Q

AAA doesn't mean good game, it doesn't actually mean anything.
Indie doesn't mean bad/cheap/2D platformer/mobile game. It means independent developer/publisher.
YS Net is independent.
If Shenmue raised $25.000.000 it would still be indie.

I know many Indie games are small scale & 2D. But that is usually because of a small budget, and inexperience.
Shenmhe has quite a large budget, on track to be the most funded kickstarter game ever. And a very talented and experienced game designer.

It will be a game.

robatfreedom has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, joka, Reprise
robatfreedom
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby joka » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:32 am

robatfreedom wrote:Hahahaha.
Sorry I just find it funny that people cling onto marketing buxxwords like this.
I mean what does AAA mean, whaat does indie mean?

Seriously.

It could be both you know? I mean it won't,but it could be. Look at Project CARS. One of the best looking comsole racing games ever. It cost less to develop than what Shenmue 3 will probably raise. (BTW Bandai Namco is the distributor, not the publisher)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzv7amJEk2Q

AAA doesn't mean good game, it doesn't actually mean anything.
Indie doesn't mean bad/cheap/2D platformer/mobile game. It means independent developer/publisher.
YS Net is independent.
If Shenmue raised $25.000.000 it would still be indie.

I know many Indie games are small scale & 2D. But that is usually because of a small budget, and inexperience.
Shenmhe has quite a large budget, on track to be the most funded kickstarter game ever. And a very talented and experienced game designer.

It will be a game.

^^Just this really!

Couldn't put it any better- few years back many of us would've been happy to have Shenmue 3 as a novel so the fact the game is finally being made is amazing.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:36 am

yeah stops focusing on Indie and AAA... look at its budget and make a judgement.. it'll be higher production than telltale point and click games, it'll be visually more accomplished than Shenmue 1 and 2 due to age, but it won't be on the production level of 100 million dollar franchises such as "last of us" or "Yakuza" but it'll be good regardless.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby zach » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:40 am

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote: yeah stops focusing on Indie and AAA... look at its budget and make a judgement.. it'll be higher production than telltale point and click games, it'll be visually more accomplished than Shenmue 1 and 2 due to age, but it won't be on the production level of 100 million dollar franchises such as "last of us" or "Yakuza" but it'll be good regardless.

Last of Us was one of the worst games I played in years, so I'm not complaining if Shenmue III will feel more indie than AAA.
zach
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza 4, Cave Story

Postby joka » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:01 am

zach wrote:
RiGoRmOrTiS wrote: yeah stops focusing on Indie and AAA... look at its budget and make a judgement.. it'll be higher production than telltale point and click games, it'll be visually more accomplished than Shenmue 1 and 2 due to age, but it won't be on the production level of 100 million dollar franchises such as "last of us" or "Yakuza" but it'll be good regardless.

Last of Us was one of the worst games I played in years, so I'm not complaining if Shenmue III will feel more indie than AAA.

That's pretty much blasphemy! Lol

I loved Last Of Us personally- story and character wise it was first class (the story DLC was great too).

Back to S3 though- Yu knows fan expectation is going to be sky high so I'm sure he won't let us down.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III