BBC Show VideoGaiden Starts Shenmue 3 Campaign

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby Peter » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:38 am

good points. Shared by myself. I feel we will get a Shenmue complete one day. Id be very surprised if it never was released
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:23 am

Dragnoix wrote:2 points to make.

1. First, we need to stop thinking about this latest speculation about the future of the series, look back, and think about what we got to experience with the 2 games that we have. If you think about it, everything evens out. The happiness and sheer joy we've felt from playing 100-1000's of videogames over the years combined, has been matched and tripled by Shenmue with only 2 installments.

We really need to step back and appreciate the fact that we were able to experience, and FEEL such a piece of complete brilliance. No other game can compare, and to be able to experience such a world for a second time is more then a privilege. Shenmue has done what it was supposed to do, broaden you perspective of what real videogame art is and regarding it as the best game ever conceived.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that us fans are missing out on at the moment is a completion of the story, we've felt and experienced in a videogame what alot of gamers and everyday people haven't even felt in natural life. Shenmue 1 was a blessing, Shenmue 2 was a privilege to feel that amazing feeling once again. This game should not be spoken in vain.

2. Shenmue is STILL not officially cancelled.

My feelings exactly. There is no need for disappointment.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby neB317 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:00 pm

Dragnoix wrote:2 points to make.

1. First, we need to stop thinking about this latest speculation about the future of the series, look back, and think about what we got to experience with the 2 games that we have. If you think about it, everything evens out. The happiness and sheer joy we've felt from playing 100-1000's of videogames over the years combined, has been matched and tripled by Shenmue with only 2 installments.

We really need to step back and appreciate the fact that we were able to experience, and FEEL such a piece of complete brilliance. No other game can compare, and to be able to experience such a world for a second time is more then a privilege. Shenmue has done what it was supposed to do, broaden you perspective of what real videogame art is and regarding it as the best game ever conceived.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that us fans are missing out on at the moment is a completion of the story, we've felt and experienced in a videogame what alot of gamers and everyday people haven't even felt in natural life. Shenmue 1 was a blessing, Shenmue 2 was a privilege to feel that amazing feeling once again. This game should not be spoken in vain.

2. Shenmue is STILL not officially cancelled.

Very true... I think I'm gonna go play Shenmue now :) However I still think a continued campaign would be a good idea to show continued support for Shenmue.
neB317
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Paul » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:34 pm

LanDC wrote:
mike_sleva wrote:
the bulkiest development expense has been payed for a long time ago

How do you figure? The Shenmue engine was coded for Dreamcast, to make the game now would require massive (read: expensive) reworkings of the engine and base code to get it up and running on next gen systems like Xbox 360 and PS3.

How do I figure... Hmm, common sense? As you should know by now, Suzuki himself stated how much easier development of Shenmue III will be, given the groundwork is completed. He said that during the previous gen, and now the source of the Kikizo leak says it would actually be even cheaper to finalise the game on the next-gen, as it wouldn't be as much of a struggle to create with the more powerful hardware to work with. How much do you really think it's going to cost to get the engine up and running on a new console? 360 in specific, as it seems to be the most likely. Surely it can't be that expensive to get an engine up and running, or every game developer around the world would be flat broke before reaching the half point in developing each and every game.

I thought the development costs for shenmue were mainly so high because of the 'research' trips to china and the rest of the world anyway! also I guess the graphics engine was the most advanced ever for a commercial game at the time. But yeah, a passable shenmue game could be developed for pennies
Paul
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby jedsithor » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:26 pm

I haven't been on much recently...things are always pretty hectic at this time of year...but I'm on now to say this, enjoy whatever hoiday you celebrate at this time of year (unless your an atheist...in which case enjoy getting time off for someone elses religon haha) and enjoy new years...

Once all that is finished, I expect everyone to have gotten over your hangovers and to be back here in the first week of January, ready to start the real campaign...it will have a new thread since it has nothing to do with the videogaiden one and we're not going to stop after 6 weeks.

So enjoy your holiday and get ready for war.
jedsithor
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby theonly1withkfc » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:41 am

I feel like i have to get this off my chest...
after finding out that there were secret comics in shenmue 2, i started to play it again and downloaded the game save with it. after reading em i started a new game... and started to cry :(

i really hope they make a shenmue 3, or better yet the whole entire shenmue series that they were planning to make from the start... i just beat Sonic the hedgehog for 360 and thought to myself that sega isnt doing that bad lately. so they fucked up with sonic heroes, sonic riders, and some more... but sonic for 360 and yakuza n such really showed that SEGA quality everyone longs for imo. Some reviews for sonic for 360 gave the game around a 4-5 average and said that the game was crap, but in some of those 4-5 reviews, they said that true sonic fans will find a great sonic game in this.

imho i feel that after yu has finished shenmue online, he'll begin to make shenmue 3, and hopefully more shenmue's to keep sega going.

too bad they probably wont make shenmue online for america :roll:
theonly1withkfc
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby theonly1withkfc » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:45 am

jedsithor wrote:I haven't been on much recently...things are always pretty hectic at this time of year...but I'm on now to say this, enjoy whatever hoiday you celebrate at this time of year (unless your an atheist...in which case enjoy getting time off for someone elses religon haha) and enjoy new years...

Once all that is finished, I expect everyone to have gotten over your hangovers and to be back here in the first week of January, ready to start the real campaign...it will have a new thread since it has nothing to do with the videogaiden one and we're not going to stop after 6 weeks.

So enjoy your holiday and get ready for war.

i agree wholeheartedly with this... the only thing i want sega to say is that they will definatly, or at least start to, make shenmue by 2010
theonly1withkfc
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Dragnoix » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:07 pm

I feel i've experienced what I needed to with Shenmue for the time being, I can wait until whenever, just as long as I don't hear any music or play S1/2, I think I'll be fine, hell we'd all be fine if we just left this damn forum alone...
Dragnoix
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Paul » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:22 pm

Dragnoix wrote:I feel i've experienced what I needed to with Shenmue for the time being, I can wait until whenever, just as long as I don't hear any music or play S1/2, I think I'll be fine, hell we'd all be fine if we just left this damn forum alone...

But those other forums on the internet are fucking rubbish!
Paul
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:14 pm

^ Glad such an old member sees things my way.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Paul » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:23 pm

haha, it has been a long time. add the year or 2 on the gamespy boards and it's taken up way too much of my life, but I still feel I don't spend enough time reading this nonesense!
Paul
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby JoeMDesign » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:39 am

We wanted an answer... we GOT an answer.

I consider this a 100% success. The campaign wasn't about persuading Sega to MAKE a third Shenmue game (although my movies kinda suggested that it was). It was simply about getting a comment from Sega and that's what we ended up with.

I'll keep on promoting Shenmue but I do have OTHER things to do as well, you know!
JoeMDesign
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Gustav » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:56 pm

The thing is that the fanbase of shenmue is just too small, there is no chance in hell that Shenmue 3 would be profitable. The only chance there is is to start over and first release shenmue + shenmue 2 in one single game, on any next-gen console, and then if they can make that sell well eventually release shenmue 3.
Gustav
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:02 pm

I think it's a cult game, it won't bomb exactly like many of you say, it will do reasonable now. Better now than it would have done three years back.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Hazuki Legend » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:28 pm

Because of the reputation the Shenmue name has made for itself i think a new game (excluding Shenmue Onlinie) would do quite well. As it's a game that many fans have been left waiting for, i'm sure the gaming media would hype it up if it got announced.
Hazuki Legend
Est. 1989
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: Dan Whale 89

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III