Postby xatruio » Fri May 28, 2004 12:12 pm

aww...oh i know what ya mean....heh
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Rurouni » Sat May 29, 2004 11:30 am

told u guys, my fist post in this forum was all about that move in the mysterious scroll being from the tiger swallow style and which i believe was the move used by lan di to kill iwao, with that discovery lan dc made i believe there are very few doubts that can denny my theory

greetz rurouni a shenmue fan
Rurouni
Asia Travel Representative

Postby LanDC » Sat May 29, 2004 1:53 pm

Didn't you read Kiyuu's post, Rurouni? Japanese guides tell that the Mysterious Scroll is "Mouko-kouhazan", a move of Bajiquan. Of course we English didn't know about this since alot of information never comes to us.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Rurouni » Sat May 29, 2004 2:09 pm

nop, sometimes im just a lazzy ass lol sorry.. :oops: but come again they can be wrong.. after all, theyre just humans! ;)
Rurouni

Postby TAILS » Sat May 29, 2004 11:38 pm

Once again ,great find
TAILS
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

The Badazhao

Postby JalceW » Mon May 31, 2004 10:39 am

If anyone's interested, all eight of the "Badazhao" (8 Major Techniques) of Bajiquan are explained on the following page.

http://crane.50megs.com/index2c.htm

According to a poster at the CyberKwoon martial arts forums, the alternate ("poetic") names for these moves - the ones used by Shenmue - are as follows: -

Yanwang san dian shou - Yama (king of hell in Buddhism)'s Three Point Hand (known as "Demon's Triangle" in Shenmue II)

Meng hu ying pa shan - Fierce Tiger Climbs The Mountain (this technique is the one known as "Mouko-Kouhazan" in Japanese, and is technique #8 'Forward Palm Thrust' in the link)

Ying men san bu gu - Greet At The Door...? (incomplete/questionable translation)

Zuoyou ying kai men - Left And Right, Force Open The Gate

Huangying shuang bao zhao - Oriole's Double Embracing Claws

Li di tongtian pao - Stand On The Ground... Heaven Cannon (incomplete/questionable translation)

Yingfeng zhaoyang zhang - Face The Wind, Rising Sun Palm

Bawang ying she jiang - The Bawang (hegemon king) Cracks The Reins

With the exception of "Menghu-Yingpashan" and possibly "Zuoyou Yingkaimen", I have no idea which name corresponds to which move in the link, I'll try to obtain that information if I can.

Anyway, Ryo is highly likely to learn a few more of the Badazhao in the course of the Shenmue series, so look out for these in future installments!
JalceW
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenmueNut » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:30 am

Great job LanDC!
ShenmueNut
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RyanC » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:55 am

Not sure if it's helpfull, but after tossing "Yanquingquan" throgh google, I came up with this: (had to be translated as well)

Yanquingquan (Mizongquan) of Cangzhou popular Prefecture is one of the most anciento boxings in the northern part of Chinese and to main school of wushu in the region. According to the annals, there were nearly 100 routines with and without weapons, from easy and elementary to difficult and advance.

After that, I did a quick search on " Mizongquan" as it seemed to be connected to Yanquingquan in some way. I got this here:

Mizong is a major classical system. It ingeniously blends various Nei Jia(internal) and Wia Jia (external) styles, fusing soft and hard, as well as fast and slow elements of Tai Ji, Xing Yi, Ba Gua and Shao Lin into an integrated whole. The results characterized by powerful techniques which are combat effective yet aesthetic and graceful. As one would expect of a northern system, Mizong incorporates a full range of kicks, sweeps, jumps, low squats, ground and other leg manoeuvres. What distinguishes it from other northern styles however an equal emphasis is on hand techniques including a wide variety of fist, palm and pressure point strikes. Add to this a complete arsenal of the classical "18 weaponry" and the trained Mizong fighter is well equipped for hand to hand combat.

After that I came across this, it basically states that Yanquingquan and Mizongquan are one in the same.

Mi Zong Quan, is also known as Long Step Fist, or Lost Track Boxing, as well as Yan Qing Quan. During the reign of the Northern Song dynasty, a Lu Junyi from the Hebei province learned this style from the Shaolin Temple. Later, he passed the style on to a man named Yan Qing. As a result, the style bacame known as Yan Qing Quan.
This style of kung fu focuses mainly on the use of internal energy as well as hand and foot coordination. It consists of sixteen main fighting principles, includes a primary and secondary set, as well as staff, spear, and sparring sets, and a few others.

I also found this: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 8%26sa%3DN

It states right at the beginning:
In the fifth year of the reign of emperor Yun Qing, an announcement prohibited the study and the practice of the Martial Arts, all the provincial governors were authorized to stop the study of the Kungfu, as well as the use and study of any type of arms.

Again, I don't know if any of this will be helpfull. Hopefully it will help narrrow down what the cutout dialogue meant.

All of this only makes the Shenmue series unbelievable. I can only conclude that Yu Suzuki started research for this looooong before it ever became a game. That or he has a serious interest in Japanese/Chinese histroy and mythology and fighting styles.
Shenmue is definately for more than a game.
RyanC

Postby RyanC » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:01 am

Almost forgot, but..

At one point the name "Chen Yushan" came up, after tossing it through google, I came up with this: It deals with the history of YanqingQuan

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 8%26sa%3DN
RyanC

Postby JeetKuneDo » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:15 pm

Dosn't that one guy that Ryo has to fight in Shenmue 2 to get Joy back, know hte Tiger Swallow Style? Do you think he will have a role in Shenmue 3? Maybe as 1 of the Chiyomen Leaders.
JeetKuneDo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ys » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:47 pm

We've discussed this before and there are lots of theories. But I personally don't think Baihu is one of the leaders.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby JeetKuneDo » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:07 pm

Well, he didn't seem like a regular bad guy. He aked Ryo's name, and he said quote "Ill remember that name". SO maybe he will come back even more powerful.
JeetKuneDo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby jrathbun05 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:22 pm

Baihu was one of my favourite characters is shenmue, he s so mysterious and i just get the feeling that he well have significant impact in the story. Whether or not he is chio men leader is up for debate but since he practices the same style as lan di there is likely a connection there. He just seems like to powerful both in his skill as a martial artist and as a charcter itself to not have a future impact.
jrathbun05
Master of the Three Blades

Postby JeetKuneDo » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:40 pm

I thought Lan Di, practised the Snake Style. He practices Tiger Swallow?
JeetKuneDo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby jrathbun05 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:51 pm

I cant believe you dont know that but yes that is his style.
jrathbun05

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III