ya think S3 will have a new battle system if it comes out?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

ya think S3 will have a new battle system if it comes out?

Postby DLaughingMan » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:40 pm

The poem that Shenhua says at the begining of shenmue 2 talks about how a dragon shall appear from the earth and a pheonix will desend from the sky. I'll have to watch that part again but anyway. Do any of you get the Impression that shenmue 3 will have a more supernatural storyline which will cause them to change the battle system around abit? (If Ryo gets flame punches or DBZ type stuff).

Another resone I thought about this, was the pic of shenmue online(I think it was on shenmue-online.com's main page) where Ryo and some new charecter are holding what looks like energy balls they are about to throw at someone.

Another point I want to bring across was some of the things Shenhua says when she and Ryo are on there way to guilin. She talks about the animals and how all things give have energy and how she gains power from the forest. It sounds to me like Shenhuas describeing mana or chi or something. Perhaps the Pheonix and Dragon mirrors unlock more than just Gold as Ren seems to think? Are the Pheonix and Dragon that Shenhua talks about in her poem just represntations of Ryo and Lan di or actuall creatures.

Sorry if anyones made a thread like this already.
Last edited by DLaughingMan on Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLaughingMan
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Rakim » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:49 pm

that would suck real bad if that happened but i wouldnt be surprised if something along those lines happened
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Gutcruncher » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:27 pm

i dont think so. maybe theyll tweek it a little, probably to make it faster or more complex, but i highly doubt it would be a totally different system
Gutcruncher
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:31 pm

if it ever turns DBZ like,that is going to suck so much.but maybe like gutcruncher said,they might faster or more complex
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Tenken The Shukuchi » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:13 pm

I Have a feeling it will stay the same. Seeing as how Yu Suzuki made the fighting system derive from The VF series.
Tenken The Shukuchi
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Giony » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:10 pm

i hope it wont. that will just wreck the game
Giony
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby white lotus » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:18 pm

I hope not.
white lotus
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: I am a former gamer

Postby VGAce » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:06 am

The general concensus around the board is that Shenmue Online and Shenmue III are two separate games, and have two separate fighting systems accordingly. It's also a general belief that if Shenmue III incorporates "mysticism" into its fighting engine, everyone will scream bloody murder.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Capsule Toys Maniac » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:58 am

I think the battle system in Shenmue III will be the same. The magic will probably stay in the cutscenes.
Capsule Toys Maniac
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:00 pm

Magic in the form of a QTE would be pretty awesome.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Gutcruncher » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:49 pm

Kensuke NOL wrote:Magic in the form of a QTE would be pretty awesome.

that would be pretty cool. like those QTEs that pop up in the middle of a battle.
Gutcruncher
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby threeblades » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:50 pm

I hope it will be exatly like it wouldve been if it came out on the dreamcast. I hope they'll follow their plan. If it was planned from the start that it would change at a certain point, allright. If not, don't fuck with it.
threeblades
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spokane » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:26 am

I think it will be the same, if any game had a new one it should be Shenmue Online.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby VGAce » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:49 am

Shenmue III should follow the proper rule of sequel-making: don't change, but reinvent. I think the fighting engine should remain the same, but vastly revamped. Make movements more fluid, and work on collision detection and physics to make the characters seem like they actually have mass and weight which are working against each other. Incorporate more realistic and varied dodge animations, and bring back the parry system from Shenmue I! Most importantly, beef up the AI. For the amount of fights in both Shenmue games, you'd think the enemies would be more of a challenge. I'd like to have to work for my victory against more opponents than just Chai and Izumi.
Also, make each move more distinct, with clearer natural advantages and disadvantages. The large collection of martial art techniques is nice, but the average player only uses a handful of the moves in the game. If they were made less generic and more specialized, perhaps more players would be tempted to learn them. And although it doesn't really have to do with the fighting engine itself, I think there should be more instances where Ryo has to be taught the move from a master, rather than a scroll. Ever notice you use the moves you're taught more than the ones you read? That could be another way to familiarize the player with more moves, consequently giving them more incentive to use them in combat. Another thing they should work on is making the fighting system more realistic in regards to actual martial arts. There's a lot of single moves, yeah, but there's a lot of katas too. I'm not asking for full kata routines, but would be a little too complex. But moves should have the ability to "flow" into other moves, such as a strike into a lock, a lock into a grapple, or a grapple into a throw. Shenmue does this to a small degree, but the amount of moves that are capable of this are very limited.
Well, that's my little brainstorm for now...
Last edited by VGAce on Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Johanz » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:01 pm

Well, since Shenmue Online doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the Shenmue games, except the world and characters that habit it :)
But ah, if Ryo would like throw flaming punches and yell Kameehaaaaaaa or what they scream in DBZ.. I will start to cry blood >__>
Johanz
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Next

Return to Shenmue III