Reboot Shenmue?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Reboot Shenmue?

Postby dligman » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:37 am

I'm not talking a straight reboot where you change the storyline. I mean an HD release of the original Shenmues but this time around Sega can do some serious analysis as to why the original games failed in the sales department. Once the analysis is complete, they could then somehow incorporate elements that make a game sell into these HD releases while still preserving the integrity of the original Shenmue games.

Also, it could have been possible that the games were not properly marketed at the time. Just look at games like Infamous: Second Son and Watchdogs. What if Shenmue were marketed like that? Along with the HD rerelease, maybe they could recast some of the voice actors too as in my opinion the VO was terrible with the exception of a few characters like Ryo and Lan Di.
dligman
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Castlevania

Re: Reboot Shenmue?

Postby Fenix » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:52 am

You said it.

REBOOT!

Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:12 pm

I'd be down for a reboot. I never thought Shenmue was this super great game that other people seem to think it is.

Update the tank controls, add more depth to the character of Ryo, definitely recast the VAs (and also change some of the godawful stilted dialogue), update the fight system to the newer VF engine (not a big VF fan but that is the basis for Shenmue's fight system), add the ability to put more stuff in your house, add the bicycle for faster mobility around the town.

Man, I'd change so much.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby tomboz » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:35 am

dligman wrote: but this time around Sega can do some serious analysis as to why the original games failed

The original games didn't fail. The Dreamcast failed them!
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Radar » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:07 am

Yeah, they analysed it and made an Yakuza game.
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:30 am

dligman wrote:Once the analysis is complete, they could then somehow incorporate elements that make a game sell into these HD releases

No thanks. I don't want a Shenmue full of shooting, killing, stupid licensed music, profanity and tons of tutorials.
And yes I deliberately left the second half of your sentence out of the quote.

How is Sega supposed to make Shenmue interesting to the current market without ruining the game?
We all know what kids these days love about video games... Why should they even try it in the first place?
Shenmue is anything but mainstream and it simply shouldn't adapt to other games at all.
That's Shemue's strong point after all.

All that Sega should do is simply market it as just that! A unique experience among the endless stream of soulless action games.

I agree that some things need to be updated in a remake though. Smaller things that simply make the game more enjoyable and use the power of the current hardware. A time skip option, save anywhere, modern and classic control schemes, better animations for the NPCs, a newly done dub, more to explore and such.

You don't need to look at other games to figure those out. I repeat myself: Shenmue should stay Shenmue and Sega should market it for it's "uniquity".

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, KX-5
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby dligman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:57 am

Yeah, but Sega will never greenlight it if they don't believe that it will sell. I'm not talking about turning it into an action shooter or watering down its RPG elements. That game is full of spirit but something has to change in order for Sega to take a risk on it.

It's been said that Shenmue was perhaps one of the best selling titles on the Dreamcast. The problem, however, was that it was simply too expensive of a production. One of the solutions, I think, is to find a way to cut down on the costs. An example would be spreading out the risk of production by releasing Episodic installments of the game. Another possible solution would be to improve the game (replace the voice actors and improve the controls/gameplay but not make it akin to an action shooter).
dligman
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Castlevania

Postby SledgeNE » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:21 am

No, i don't like Reboots. There are maybe exceptions (Amazing Spider-Man), but i think Reboots are artless.
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby JMan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:55 pm

This ‘rebooting well-known classics’ trend annoys me. Why does Rosemary’s Baby, Nightmare on Elm Street and Total Recall need to be rebooted when there is nothing wrong with the original? Does there really need to be a reintroduction to these things every 10 years or so because we as humans are too stupid and lazy to do a simple Google search and find these things out for ourselves? In fact, I think rebooting a well known and successful classic is a bit condescending to the audience, like: ‘Hey, you’re too dumb to appreciate this so we have taken the liberty to put it back on screens for easy access. Hope you enjoy the lens flare and CGI!’

Reboots in my opinion should only be done if: 1) A game/movie sucked but has enough potential to really work in someone else’s hands 2) A series has stagnated. Deus Ex Human Revolution was not technically a full blown reboot as it exists in the same continuity of the original games, acting as a prequel, although it did reintroduce the franchise to high success while not butchering the continuity for old fans – again, to reintroduce a series successfully taking a hammer to the original continuity isn’t necessary. Thief 2013 tried to be all ‘trendy’ and do the reboot thing, but was largely scoffed at. And God forbid: if the rebooted continuity sucked more than the original continuity, what in hell becomes of the series now?

If I had some advice for Sega it would be this: go the Deus Ex route. Make a third entry which is groundbreaking and attractive for new players, stays faithful to the core experience and as a bonus does not take a hammer to the continuity for the sake of older fans. Sorry for writing such a long post guys but after hearing that Yu Suzuki watches the Shenmue parody videos on You Tube I reckon anyone could be browsing these forums.
JMan

Postby BigTuna » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:09 pm

Kenny wrote: Update the tank controls, add more depth to the character of Ryo, definitely recast the VAs (and also change some of the godawful stilted dialogue), update the fight system to the newer VF engine (not a big VF fan but that is the basis for Shenmue's fight system), add the ability to put more stuff in your house, add the bicycle for faster mobility around the town.

This would all be pretty damn awesome. I need that bike. But even just a regular HD remaster would be perfectly fine.
BigTuna

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Esppiral » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Fenix wrote: You said it.

REBOOT!

I loved that show! \:D/

Shenmue needs a reboot to appeal to new audience, yes.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:05 pm

I could accept any kind of reboot so long as Yu Suzuki is still the only captain on board.

Shenmue is the equivalent of an auteur film and so belongs to Yu as an artist, you have to respect his own vision about the characters, the story, the pace, etc whatever it pleases people or not.

As Shenmue fans, that could be quite interesting as we know the team had plenty ideas that they cannot incorporate to the dreamcast versions to not slow the story down even more. And Yu loves to add background to his characters, there are surely a lot of interesting stuff to learn we still don't know.

My only fear is a potential downgrade towards some aspects, giving us the hurting impression to not see the same characters or atmosphere as before at all. The 3D and 2D artists would surely not be the same of those on Dreamcast and Shenmue Online artists work was atrocious. From a purely technical point of view, Yakuza never had the finesse of Shenmue about development quality. The risk of seeing an average version of original Shenmue is still there.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby JMan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:21 pm

A remake of the game (same story, same events, same characters told anew) I’d totally be on board for; I think it would be great. Love what they did with Resident Evil for Gamecube and Ocarina of Time 3D; it never hurts to update the textures, make the control scheme better, add in new content (be it new scenes or features) ect.

A reboot however (new characters, new story, pretending the other games never existed – for all we know it could be set on a zombie island and Shenhua has a magical vagina gun for some fun FPS co-op) I’d not be happy with. I don’t know about anyone else but waiting 15 years for an already acclaimed series to be wrapped up only for it to then be shafted as if it never happened when it really didn't need to be would be a pretty big insult to the fans who wanted to know what happened next. I think they should instead focus on making a brilliant, faithful third entry which will attract new players (i.e. Deus Ex 3) than having to wack it with a hammer and start the continuity from scratch. That’s just lazy game design – a cheap way to make something seem ‘fresh’ and ‘innovative’ but really just done because they were too lazy to do any research to tie it in with the original series while thinking outside the box because that would take a bit more effort so they just wipe the slate clean.

Should we plan a heist to Sega HQ to get the rights back before they do something bad? Lol, only kidding!
No but really, I'll get the wire cutters...
JMan

Postby ys » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:35 am

Kenny wrote:Update the tank controls, add more depth to the character of Ryo, definitely recast the VAs (and also change some of the godawful stilted dialogue), update the fight system to the newer VF engine (not a big VF fan but that is the basis for Shenmue's fight system), add the ability to put more stuff in your house,...

Good suggestions. But maybe Ryo would start to have more depth in Shenmue 3? Yu talked about more conversations between Ryo and Shenhua and already in Shenmue II he seemed to open up a bit. But to be fair Ryo's character depth never bothered me. I kind of like such focused characters in martial arts movies/games.

Radar wrote: Yeah, they analysed it and made an Yakuza game.

Sadly, there's some truth to that :lol:

JMan wrote: Does there really need to be a reintroduction to these things every 10 years or so because we as humans are too stupid and lazy to do a simple Google search and find these things out for ourselves?

Yes. Unfortunately, some need this even with search engines around now. Last week I saw a blog post about Dan Aykroyd who visited someone's favorite bar to show his vodka brand. She complained that she "even had to Google his name" and that he was "old and irrelevant". Adding that she of course can't know him since she wasn't born when he starred in movies. Beyond that, studios can make some extra money that way.

dligman wrote:One of the solutions, I think, is to find a way to cut down on the costs. An example would be spreading out the risk of production by releasing Episodic installments of the game.

I've also been mentioned that some years ago. It could be a test in a way with less risk. At the same time they can get feedback and adapt where necessary.

Yokosuka wrote:The 3D and 2D artists would surely not be the same of those on Dreamcast and Shenmue Online artists work was atrocious. From a purely technical point of view, Yakuza never had the finesse of Shenmue about development quality. The risk of seeing an average version of original Shenmue is still there.

As soon as Yu took over Shenmue Online you could actually see that the style improved. It even had his signature look : a certain color scheme for the sky, the way buildings looked etc.
I always found Yakuza more rough around the edges though. It's very noticeable while walking the streets and looking at buildings, NPC's. I still like the series though.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby JMan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:40 pm

I gotcha. I was just ranting a little bit about my frustration with rebooting classic well-known stuff which can easily be found by booting up Netflix. There is plenty of content which deserves a reboot (e.g. Game: Daikatana, Advent Rising, Psi Ops; Movie: Leviathan, Daredevil, Resident Evil). Shenmue needs a remake and sequel, not a reboot. You don't just throw anticipated monolith titles like Half Life 3 or Shenmue 3 into the shredder when those games have thousands interested in what happens next for a reboot which may not even catch on, you would be committing sale suicide.

The reason I'm posting again is because I just saw that apparently Spiderman may be rebooting yet again next year with a new actor. That is just ridiculous. I swear, if I end up seeing concept art of Ryo in bandages for ShenBOOM! I will go after Sega with a pillow Silent Hill 2 style.
JMan

Next

Return to Shenmue III