Famitsu Translation & Scans

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Famitsu scans

Postby ys » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:
Miles Prower wrote:...And actually yeah, has Kiyuu posted since all this happened??

She made a celebratory post in the main announcement topics, so she's around.

I was wondering today if she might have missed the announcement since I hadn't seen her around yet. I clearly missed her post then due to all the activity here.

Edit : Ryo looked better indeed in that image. Likely lighting etc. I just noticed now that his jacket seems less "worn in" compared to the earlier games, heh. I hope that they eventually try to go for an overall style similar to this : Image

Anyway, it's way too early to focus on details. Things will change a lot and I'm looking forward to see how things progress.
Last edited by ys on Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Luke_09 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:29 pm

Interesting article from this website, seems to translate part of the Famitsu magazine:
http://kotaku.com/what-we-know-about-sh ... 1712187835

''Now the project is back with the Shenmue III Kickstarter that was announced at Sony’s press conference at this year’s E3. Series creator Yu Suzuki revealed more about the project in an interview in this week’s Weekly Famitsu. Here’s what he said along with what we know about the game so far.

- For development, Suzuki has turned to the company neilo as the main developer. Takeshi Hirai of neilo was the chief programmer for the original Shenmue.
- Asked by Weekly Famitsu why he didn’t consider partnering with a Western developer, Suzuki noted, “There was that option, yes. But the biggest characteristic of Shenmue is culture.” Suzuki has been vocal of his intent to preserve the cultural aspects of the game.
- For the development of Shenmue III, Suzuki is gathering other key members of the development team for the original game.
- Suzuki is currently looking at the Unreal Engine 4 for Shenmue III. “I’ve been looking at a several different engines over the past three years for Shenmue III, and Unreal Engine 4’s colors fit the color of the world I envision for Shenmue.” Suzuki remarked.
- While Shenmue II offered a bigger map compared to the original Shenmue, Suzuki has said that for Shenmue III he is looking to make a smaller, more detailed world. “Ever since [Shenmue II] I always had decided that ‘for the next game, I’m going to go much deeper.’” Suzuki said. Suzuki has said that he is looking to focus on giving the characters far more depth in how they act as they inhabit the world of Shenmue III and how they react to the player’s decisions.
- The story of Shenmue III will start directly after the end of Shenmue II where *spoilers!* Ryo Hazuki met Ling Shenhua and went to her home *end spoilers!* Suzuki has confirmed that several familiar characters will be returning in the game. Fortunately, for those who have never played the previous games, the Kickstarter stretch goal of 2.5 million – cinema shorts for Shenmue and Shenmue II – has been reached.
- While the game’s release date is still not set in stone, Suzuki is hoping to have the game available by the end of 2017.
As the game is a direct sequel in the series, it is not a spin-off, side story, remake, or reboot.
- The initial asking goal was for 2 million dollars. It hit that goal in less than 24 hours, making it the fastest Kickstarter project to hit both a million and 2 million dollars.
- Sega, which published the previous Shenmue games kindly handed the rights for a sequel over to series creator Yu Suzuki without any sort of fuss. Nice of you, Sega.
- Sony has a hand in the project, probably shouldering what will the bulk of developments costs.''
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:32 pm

Time to increase your pledges everyone...

From the Kickstarter Reddit page:

"As you guys know there was a massive article in this Months Famistu. Luckily the user Varion from NeoGaf has translated the important parts and these 2 comments stood out!

2 million is the bare minimum for the game to exist, and if that was all they got, it would just be focused on the story. The more money it gets, the more of the things he wants to do will be possible.

As far as money goes, he expects the game's investment will primarily come from individual backers, so he wants them all to be happy with the finished product. Doesn't sound like Sony and others are giving them all THAT much.

These points are so so important. We have people not pledging high amounts because they think that Sony (and other investors) are going to jump in. These comments state, directly from Yu's mouth that that is NOT the case! The kickstarter is the main funding for the game.

Now I know people are sad that there might not be a physical PS4 copy, and I understand that you don't want to pledge over the $29, but really how are you going to feel when the game that you have waited 14 years for gets stripped of content that Yu wanted in his original vision? Please guys, lets get Yu as much money as we possibly can so he can make the game that he wants, and that he deserves!

Help share this message, as you still have people in the kickstarter comments, on here, on shenmuedojo saying that there is no reason to back the game as Sony are stepping in to fund it..."

Sonoshee has received 4 thanks from: Amir, Axm, johnvivant, SnowyHarbor
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Luke_09 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:38 pm

Sonoshee wrote: Time to increase your pledges everyone...

From the Kickstarter Reddit page:

"As you guys know there was a massive article in this Months Famistu. Luckily the user Varion from NeoGaf has translated the important parts and these 2 comments stood out!

2 million is the bare minimum for the game to exist, and if that was all they got, it would just be focused on the story. The more money it gets, the more of the things he wants to do will be possible.

As far as money goes, he expects the game's investment will primarily come from individual backers, so he wants them all to be happy with the finished product. Doesn't sound like Sony and others are giving them all THAT much.

These points are so so important. We have people not pledging high amounts because they think that Sony (and other investors) are going to jump in. These comments state, directly from Yu's mouth that that is NOT the case! The kickstarter is the main funding for the game.

Now I know people are sad that there might not be a physical PS4 copy, and I understand that you don't want to pledge over the $29, but really how are you going to feel when the game that you have waited 14 years for gets stripped of content that Yu wanted in his original vision? Please guys, lets get Yu as much money as we possibly can so he can make the game that he wants, and that he deserves!

Help share this message, as you still have people in the kickstarter comments, on here, on shenmuedojo saying that there is no reason to back the game as Sony are stepping in to fund it..."

That's a really good point!

This is why we MUST keep on funding the KickStarter page!!

As you rightly said, we need to get this information out there.

I'm hoping to increase my pledge as soon as I get the money.
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:41 pm

lol thats my post on reddit :D! I've been glued to here, reddit and GAF no-stop for the last 2 days, and I see SOOOO many comments about people thinking that Sony are going to drop a huge amount on the game, but they are all wrong!

We need people to understand!
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Luke_09 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:07 pm

SheepheadCG wrote: lol thats my post on reddit :D! I've been glued to here, reddit and GAF no-stop for the last 2 days, and I see SOOOO many comments about people thinking that Sony are going to drop a huge amount on the game, but they are all wrong!

We need people to understand!

We really do!

We need to ask Ys Net how they are actually currently marketing the Shenmue III KickStarter! Can someone ask that question on Reddit tomorrow?
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Axm » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:44 pm

Looks like I dont need to worry about the translation too much. Although maybe I can still get a 1-1 translation going if nobody else wants to go for it first. (Please let me know)

Unfortunately the magazine is only available in Tokyo as of yesturday and currently its making its way down south to other areas and eventually get to me here in Kyushu by tomorrow the 20th.
Cant wait!

Also alot of this is major info.
The kickstarter is supremely important. We have to spread the word more on why.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Luke_09 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:59 pm

Axm wrote: Looks like I dont need to worry about the translation too much. Although maybe I can still get a 1-1 translation going if nobody else wants to go for it first. (Please let me know)

Unfortunately the magazine is only available in Tokyo as of yesturday and currently its making its way down south to other areas and eventually get to me here in Kyushu by tomorrow the 20th.
Cant wait!

Also alot of this is major info.
The kickstarter is supremely important. We have to spread the word more on why.

Completely agree, how can we do that exactly?

Do we need to go down the route of raising the issue of advertising the KickStarter more effectively with Ys Net?
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Wanderin' » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:33 am

Ziming wrote: Found this at GAF.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=6043

- QTEs were originally designed so that people who weren't very good at battles could still enjoy the game.
- He wants to make 'free battles' (which are likely to have their name changed) less about pressing buttons at the right time and more about making the right decisions.
- He also wants to make them less about practising and inputting commands and more centred around the Technique Scrolls, so obtaining and using those is enough to win battles. These Technique Scrolls will ideally connect a number of different elements in the game together in a natural way.
"Shenmue had a number of minigames, gambling spots etc. that you could spend time playing around in, but I wanted something that would connect all of them somehow. I mean, obviously you can obtain money through part-time jobs, use that in gambling to get more of it and then buy weapons...but not that kind of connection, a closer one. If we can meet a number of our stretch goals and make the open world elements more elaborate, I'm hoping to be able to connect these side elements together, centred around the scrolls.

Granted I don't know what Suzuki's ultimate vision for Shenmue 3 is, but this is sounding somewhat worrisome. Will the classic Virtua Fighter style fighting game mechanic be completely removed?

If battles are to be resolved with decisions and these so called collectable 'technique scrolls' (which run the risk of enfantalising Shenmue 3 with a rather bland collectable/collecting mechanic, not unlike trying to collect all the stars/recordings/dogtags or what have you that you might have in your other typical mass market releases), we might truly be looking at a Shenmue 3 that is very much a digital choose your own adventure, not unlike a typical digital Telltale Games release.

For example, I could easily see a battle situation devolve into the player being tasked with having to choose between decisions like: Press square to typhoon kick the Chiyoumen thug or press L1 to evade detection and slip by unnoticed with Shenhua. If the player hasn't yet collected the typhoon kick technique scroll, maybe the kick option won't be available to the player and/or the chance of Ryo succeeding in dispatching the thug with a 'combat choice' becomes less likely, making the evasion choice the only one available to the player.

That sounds incredibly unappealing and literally desecrates the value behind a series whose core concept has always been to embody the notion of a 'Virtua Fighter RPG'. Besides, it would make the final showdown with Lan Di pretty unsatisfactory.

Consequently, I for one as a longtime Shenmue fan, hope desperately that the core Virtua Fighter-esque fighting game mechanic (ie. one that requires at least some effort on the players' part to appreciate timing and the correct controller input to enjoy the game's combat) remains intact and even improved in Shenmue 3.
Wanderin'
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Miles Prower » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:51 am

Luke_09 wrote:
- While Shenmue II offered a bigger map compared to the original Shenmue, Suzuki has said that for Shenmue III he is looking to make a smaller, more detailed world. “Ever since [Shenmue II] I always had decided that ‘for the next game, I’m going to go much deeper.’” Suzuki said. Suzuki has said that he is looking to focus on giving the characters far more depth in how they act as they inhabit the world of Shenmue III and how they react to the player’s decisions.

Even if the map is a bit smaller, I'd be okay with this if the game does indeed recapture the depth and atmosphere of the first game, which was always something that was missing a little bit in S2. This all sounds very intriguing indeed :D
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:13 am

JUST GOT THE MAGAZINE!!!!
Its beautiful!!
They only had one. Going to find more now.
Edit: Found 3 more untouched in plastic wrap!
WOOOOOOT
I have my first official SHENMUE 3 collectors item!

PM me if you're interested in one.

Axm has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:08 am

OK everyone! My wife and I are busy now in the middle of doing the 1-1 full 5 page translation of this interview.
2 pages in and its really very interesting! You'll all love what he has to say.
We'll work more on it soon enough. Stay tuned!
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Rakim » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:19 am

I hate to break it to you Axm but a full translation was already done a couple days ago by Switch.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=47611&p=1090881#p1090881

p.s. Your wife must be a freaking saint for putting up with this shit.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:31 am

Rakim wrote: I hate to break it to you Axm but a full translation was already done a couple days ago by Switch.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=47611&p=1090881#p1090881

p.s. Your wife must be a freaking saint for putting up with this shit.

Well this is just great eh?
I only saw the post out there with some bullet points on what was said, and I thought it ofcourse deserved the full translation treatment.
Why was that post just burried in there and not made into an entirely new thread to highlight this great interview?
And/or formated well to post to the main page of the site!
We gotta work on that.
Well atleast we didn't translate all of it. Just the few 2 pages.. and she'll never get that time back now.. lol.
Ya she's already tired of my otaku shit at this point.
Thanks for the heads up though.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:40 pm

fantastic article.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III