Translation requests here!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Translation requests here!

Postby NeoShredder » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:05 am

DEVILLE_David wrote: I think it has been translated in Chinese because the original interview is here :

June 19

http://www.4gamer.net/games/305/G030593/20150618126/

While the Chinese one has been published in July.

That's in Japanese? It is an old interview nonetheless. I'm reading it via Google translate and I like Yu's overall comments about the Japanese game industry going into mobile games (I'm paraphrasing here):

I'm not saying that smart-phone games are bad, but its like the automobile industry: For Car manufacturers its the popular cars- the ones that sell the most- that underpin the company, but it's the concept and high-end cars (that are difficult to develop) drive the technology forward

Here's looking at you Konami!
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby DEVILLE_David » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:16 am

NeoShredder wrote:
DEVILLE_David wrote: I think it has been translated in Chinese because the original interview is here :

June 19

http://www.4gamer.net/games/305/G030593/20150618126/

While the Chinese one has been published in July.

That's in Japanese? It is an old interview nonetheless. I'm reading it via Google translate and I like Yu's overall comments about the Japanese game industry going into mobile games (I'm paraphrasing here):

I'm not saying that smart-phone games are bad, but its like the automobile industry: For Car manufacturers its the popular cars- the ones that sell the most- that underpin the company, but it's the concept and high-end cars (that are difficult to develop) drive the technology forward

Here's looking at you Konami!

Yeah 4gamer is a Japanese website. It's an old interview but still from this year tho. I thought it was already posted somewhere because I already saw those pictures of Yu Suzuki. Still great to share it anyway.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:32 am

A site has credited your translations :
http://wccftech.com/sega-supporting-she ... yu-suzuki/

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Switch
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Switch » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:10 am

Yokosuka wrote: A site has credited your translations :
http://wccftech.com/sega-supporting-she ... yu-suzuki/

Nice to see Rakim's translation get attributed back to the Dojo!
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Mr357 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:52 am

Of all sites though, WCCFTech. They are notorious for bad journalism, calling things "confirmed" too early, and sometimes making stuff up.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Amir » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:43 pm

Found this image of some Dreamcast controller concept art and the motion controller prototype, was wondering if there was any cool info on there? Thanks :)

Amir has received 2 thanks from: Nankeiro, Sh3ppy
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Switch » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:09 am

Amir wrote: Found this image of some Dreamcast controller concept art and the motion controller prototype, was wondering if there was any cool info on there? Thanks :)

Here's a quick summary of what it talks about. Interesting they had also been thinking about a "Wii Remote" kind of design.
  • The controller designers had originally been designing the controller with six action buttons, assuming they would be necessary. But the opinion of the more far-sighted game creators within SEGA and also outside the company was that players would find less buttons easier to get used to, and that games should be designed to use fewer buttons. Eventually a decision was made to go with just four buttons, meaning the designs they had been working on until that point had to be redone.
  • Prototypes were initially built in clay or polystyrene to keep costs low. Buttons were often just drawn on paper and stuck on.
  • The design for the final controller was refined numerous times, with hundreds of revisions made through a trial-and-error process.
  • The vertical-shaped controller shown at the bottom of the page was the result of the design team's desire to try designing something completely different from the typical controller shape, something which would have impact. It was to be held with one hand above the other, with trigger buttons on the underside. It was to have two extension slots, one at each end. The design went as far as having a colored mock-up model created, but it did not go to production.

Switch has received 7 thanks from: Amir, Giorgio, johnvivant, Mr357, Nankeiro, Sh3ppy, Yokosuka
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Amir » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:09 am

Amazing work as always Switch, much appreciated. I'm sure I'd seen that vertical controller design referred to as a motion controller prototype before but maybe that was after the Wii was released and people just assumed as much.

Amir has received a thanks from: Switch
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby johnvivant » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:42 am

super interesting. was this actually a motion controller? if so then again sega was way ahead of the game, as usual. its a shame sega never achieved the success that their risks and innovations deserved.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:46 am

johnvivant wrote: super interesting. was this actually a motion controller? if so then again sega was way ahead of the game, as usual. its a shame sega never achieved the success that their risks and innovations deserved.

Innovators are rarely as successful as fast followers.

Yes a real shame. This would have worked wonderfully on a Dreamcast 2... Imagine if it was the Dreamcast instead of Wii which had so much success.. In an alternate time line I guess.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:20 pm

I assume the motion captor was an extension to buy separately and put in one of the two slots.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Switch » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:50 pm

Yokosuka wrote: I assume the motion captor was an extension to buy separately and put in one of the two slots.

This sounds likely. Motion support wasn't mentioned in the article above, but the Japanese-language Wikipedia page for the Dreamcast states that they had been planning an extension pack called a "G Sensor Device" that would have provided motion features similar to the later-released Wii controller.

Switch has received a thanks from: Amir
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Giorgio » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Just struck me that the following video has not been translated. Any chance? :)

phpBB [video]

Giorgio has received 2 thanks from: Nankeiro, shengoro86
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Switch » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Giorgio wrote: Just struck me that the following video has not been translated. Any chance? :)

It would be a shame for it to remain untranslated. Will see what I can do. At least the narrator speaks clearly, unlike Yu Suzuki at his staff meetings ;-)

Switch has received 5 thanks from: Giorgio, johnvivant, KidMarine, Nankeiro, Yokosuka
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby fittersau » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:24 am

Giorgio wrote: Just struck me that the following video has not been translated. Any chance? :)

Nice find. Skipped mostly to the end. The narrator, sounds a little bit like Shenhua.. another to add to the archive.

Man, that music, her words.. the feels man, the goosebumps. "This is your story..."
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III