GAME Watch interview snippets

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

GAME Watch interview snippets

Postby Switch » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:11 am

Here are a few quick Q&A snippets I translated from an interview with Yu Suzuki published online by GAME Watch (June 19 article). The interview timing was just after the first $2 million Kickstarter milestone was passed.

I skipped most of the Q&A since they were pretty much what has been covered before, and picked out the following few :

First Kickstarter goal reached! Interview with Yu Suzuki on Shenmue 3

--- Will you be adding members to the development team going forward?
YS: The core team members will be from Neilo, but I have in mind certain other people who I would also like to ask to join - “if this much funding is raised, I'll invite that person...”, there a few people like that.

-- As part of the Kickstarter rewards, there is the $10,000 “Dinner with Yu Suzuki” reward, and the 3 available places were filled in an instant, weren't they. What do you plan to talk about with the participants at the dinner?
YS: The reason I particularly limited the number to just 3 people is because I wanted to spend plenty of time speaking with each of them one at a time, and really get to know their thoughts. It's not so much a question of what topics we will speak about, but more that I want to be able to take in what they have to say.

-- Is there anything else you can tell us?
YS: Since we made the announcement at the PlayStation conference, I am frequently asked whether SCE will be providing funding support. I haven't been able to speak on this until now, but: they will be providing some funding support with respect to development costs. To go further on this topic, we also have other funding planned in addition, but even with that added on, the funding would not have been enough. The funding shortfall is the reason that we started Kickstarter.

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: GAME Watch interview snippets

Postby KidMarine » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:28 am

That's good news, they are getting additional funding besides Kickstarter. I just wish we knew what that $10 million figure referred to, the Kickstarter or funding in general.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby myshtuff » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:30 am

KidMarine wrote: That's good news, they are getting additional funding besides Kickstarter. I just wish we knew what that $10 million figure referred to, the Kickstarter or funding in general.

Sounds like in general based off previous remarks. He said he can make the game he wants for 10 mil. However, with all the vagueness of everything else I am sure I'm wrong.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby edgecrusher01 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:31 am

So he probably needs $10m from Kickstarter on top of the funds sourced from elsewhere, however much that may be.
edgecrusher01
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby KidMarine » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:34 am

myshtuff wrote: Sounds like in general

edgecrusher01 wrote: So he probably needs $10m from Kickstarter on top of the funds sourced from elsewhere

Glad to see we can reach a consensus!

KidMarine has received a thanks from: myshtuff
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Doom_Infinite » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:11 pm

This is fantastic news and outrageous at the same time.
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades

Postby JaySw34 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:18 pm

I wish I had the money to pay for that dinner. I wonder if there will be an interpreter/translator present for non-Japanese speaking folks.
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby alexironaek » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:39 pm

he clearly stated in his past interviews that he needs 10m from Kickstarter ONLY.
alexironaek

Postby myshtuff » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:06 pm

alexironaek wrote: he clearly stated in his past interviews that he needs 10m from Kickstarter ONLY.

I think we can all agree that this whole kickstarter has been nothing but unclear.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby chenke » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:42 am

“if this much funding is raised, I'll invite that person...”

I wonder WHO is that person 8-[
chenke
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:38 am

KidMarine wrote: That's good news, they are getting additional funding besides Kickstarter. I just wish we knew what that $10 million figure referred to, the Kickstarter or funding in general.

Eh, it's pretty clear that if it raised 10 million from the internet, whoever's providing additional funding (Sony and some company called Shibuya I think) is going to feel good about giving them even more.

It's kind of like one of those donation pledges where you say you'll match (or double or whatever) however much people can raise for a charity event- except in this case they'll probably give less than what was raised on KS and obviously it's not charity :P
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:55 am

We have known since the start that the KS had additional backing, the stretchgoals are more of a "ks" thing to keep the ball rolling.

Shenmue needed the KS funding, and thats the important stuff. No one would have backed SIII if it were not for the fans (no one did, actually), YS tried, this is the way it's got to be done.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:02 am

chenke wrote: “if this much funding is raised, I'll invite that person...”

I wonder WHO is that person 8-[

Nagoshi-san, likely. If he's not busy with Yakuza.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Abz » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:48 am

I've got a feeling this means that Yu may have secured 2 million each retrospectively from both Sony and Shibuya. Taken into consideration that a high calibre project like Shenmue does cost around 10-11 million to make. So I believe Yu was aiming to make at least 7 Million from kickstarter alone.
Abz
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: solja_g-123
Currently playing: Shenmue 2

Return to Shenmue III