Jim Ryan (Head of Sony Europe) discussing Shenmue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Jim Ryan (Head of Sony Europe) discussing Shenmue

Postby joka » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi,

I don't think this has been posted on here yet but a UK gaming site called Gamecentral discussed Shenmue 3 with Jim Ryan. It's only been published today but looks like it was actually not long after the announcement as he's very evasive!

If you click on the link for the full interview he actually says FFVII and Shenmue have histories of successful publishing implying he's not concerned about their success whereas he is for Last Guardian which I found quite interesting.

GC: And speaking of Shemue III, were you implying that you were going to help fund the game yourselves as well? Because the original cost $70 million back in 2000, so $2 million today is clearly not going to go very far.

JR: No… I… don’t think there was any…

GC: You’re not helping out financially at all?

JR: No… well, there was no statement made about it. But that’s not to say that we’re not helping out.

GC: So if Yu Suzuki comes along and says he needs another $20 million in order to finish it, would you be open to that?

JR: That’s not what I’m saying.

GC: What kind of help are you contemplating then?

JR: All…

GC: If he came in begging on his knees saying, ‘Jim help me! The Tomato store needs more gashapon machines and I haven’t got the money to add them…’ Surely you wouldn’t turn him away?

JR: [laughs] I think last night should be taken at face value for what it was, which was an attempt to help the guy out – and obviously a game that’s hopefully gonna add value to our platform. But because there was no statement about us supporting it doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the case.

GC: That’s fine. Okay, sorry I know I’m using up your valuable spare time. But great to speak to you, as always.

JR: I always like to find time for you, David.

Note: Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida recently clarified that Sony would ‘add funding and other support’ if Shenmue III’s Kickstarter was successful, which it has been. It seems obvious that Ryan knew this, but was hesitant of saying more unless their was an official statement.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/25/ps4-boss-jim-ryan-e3-2015-interview-theres-always-a-lunatic-fringe-5266049/#ixzz3e648xaDv

joka has received a thanks from: Reprise
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Re: Jim Ryan (Head of Sony Europe) discussing Shenmue

Postby JaySw34 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Quite evasive indeed
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:45 pm

Sounds like an interview I don't want to see, or read again.

Peter has received a thanks from: Reprise
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:46 pm

Well, no matter what it is. I don't think being should be upset if sony put 20 million in it. It seems crazy to me that people and journalists actually want to say that people sholdn't put money into it if sony is already doing it.

We all know the game will easily have more to it the more money it has. I welcome sony to put as much money as they possibly can into it , and gamers too.

So, when people write articles about sony funds and when people are saying they won't fund it because sony is.

It's ok to ask a rich man to put in 5 or 6 million, but its not ok for sony to fund it and also let us give money at the same time?

The project just needs money, logically it doesn't even matter if sony put 100 million into it, if we can put another 5, that is another 5 that makes the game.

I agree ryan, I hate those interviews that are just questions with answers being cut off, rambles and rambles with no point at all. It is an interview that is basically not an interview at all.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:14 pm

I feel like I just read the transcript of an interview at the urinal and Jim is thinking "Just hurry up and finish and walk out. Don't even stop to wash your hands."
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Return to Shenmue III