Awesome Japan

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Awesome Japan

Postby south carmain » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:24 pm

punkmanced wrote:-Why would any non Shenmue fan even want to give this KS a shot as is, when there’s nothing that glorifies [much less showcases] the first 2 installments anywhere on the page?

that's a very good point actually. This campaign has done nothing to bank in on the legendary status (which a lot of it comes from the fans hard work at getting it recognised as so) that the first 2 games have in the industry.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:46 pm

phpBB [video]

TBH anyone that sees this video and doesn't really knows what shenmue is, pretty much will not back it.

It's a great video for fans, we know how cool would that be. But for people that play skyrim (pc gamers) ??

If they didn't feel asleep with the voice, at much they would think "ok, they will add a couple of buildings and some npc".

Sadly Shenmue is a game really difficult to promote.

I wouldn't be surprised if people thought that Shenmue is a jrpg based in china and that's it. Also I can't blame them for it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Three Blades » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:56 pm

The Twitch “event” only confirmed what a lot of us had been suspecting: Awesome Japan are amateurs.

Yeah, that guy was really pathetic. His entire demeanor made it look like they just picked some random bum from the street. His tone and his way to talk were dismissive, and he came off as if he didn't care at all about what he was asking, or about Shenmue in general. It sounded like he just wanted to get out of there and go back to bed.
So OF COURSE this feeling is going to rub-off on the audience of people listening. When you're speaking to an audience and you act like a bored loser and a high school drop-out, do you really expect them to be interested? No wonder people think he did a terrible job. God damn.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:14 pm

BTW reading gaf this is cringe worthy:

Ryo - On a journey to avenge his father
Shenhua - Raised among the forests of China
Lan Di - Coldblooded boss of the shadowy Chi You Men.
Niao Sun - Deadly siren of the Chi You Men

I really didn't notice it, till I got in the mind of a newcomer.

It sounds like:
A- Hermetic as fuck.
B- Uninsteresting.
C- Made up words.
D- All of the above.

Still I think that http://shenmue.link/us-en/history.html is a cool introduction to the saga, but that even is almost hidden in the page (I had to look around to see where it was).

You go to introduction and it's not even that page, it's the kickstarter video...
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:35 pm

From an outside point of view, Shenmue looks naturally boring. No fantasy and no transgression ; the two keys of mainstream success are absents. And on the Kickstarter page, neither power nor game design originality are put forward. The Shenmue concept does simply not exist. Even the artworks look awful (although I sincerely love Kenji Miyawaki's style).

Yesterday, I found this excellent video explaining what is Shenmue : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmuc5ia3go

There is also the Yu's old intervew about Project Berkley which is still very interesting and enlightening.

Yokosuka has received 2 thanks from: Dragon St., shredingskin
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:50 pm

I don't think best seller games are transgressive (or pretty much any game), but to gaming history Shenmue quite is (maybe that's a marketing approach?), more revolutionary than transgressive though.

Maybe when Shenmue III comes along they'll ditch FREE and start calling the genre Shenmuelike :)

Interesting video Yokosuka.

Didn't like the ending, while the video is kinda onpoint with all the drawbacks, the Shenmue/Yakuza reference was not really on point, also the "sony kinda made this". I would not mind if sony would be funding the game, hell, I'll buy 3 games and I'll be saving money, but it's not like that, Sony did not take the risk, just some of it.
Last edited by shredingskin on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonne2 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:59 pm

Yokosuka wrote: From an outside point of view, Shenmue looks naturally boring. No fantasy and no transgression ; the two keys of mainstream success are absents. And on the Kickstarter page, neither power nor game design originality are put forward. The Shenmue concept does simply not exist. Even the artworks look awful (although I sincerely love Kenji Miyawaki's style).

Yesterday, I found this excellent video explaining what is Shenmue : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmuc5ia3go

There is also the Yu's old intervew about Project Berkley which is still very interesting and enlightening.

"So why are they making this game? To make us Shenmue fans happy?"

"Aww like our soulless businessmen care."

So funny and ironic at the same time.
Sonne2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:01 pm

From the PS4 physical disc update

Apology from Awesome Japan

We offer our sincerest apologies for last week’s Twitch broadcast and any trouble it may have caused. This apology comes late, and we accept full responsibility. We promise we will do everything we can to help bring Shenmue back. We ask for your forgiveness and the opportunity to make amends. – from all of us at Awesome Japan
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:05 pm

I ACCEPT YOUR APOLOGY AWESOME JAPAN
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Doom_Infinite » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:09 pm

I accept the apology but to show their sincerity make Joel (Fanta) Tess an NPC in Shenmue III. He could bump into Ryo while drinking Fanta and then give a sincere apology. lol

Doom_Infinite has received 2 thanks from: Miles Prower, NeoShredder
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Marzy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Doom_Infinite wrote: I accept the apology but to show their sincerity make Joel (Fanta) Tess an NPC in Shenmue III. He could bump into Ryo while drinking Fanta and then give a sincere apology. lol

That would actually be pretty funny and cool. x)

I can imagine him in Shenmue, as one of the more eccentric characters. He kind of reminds me of that guy that hung around the harbour (the one with the Elvis hair)
Marzy
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Grow Home

Postby Jibby » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:52 pm

Marzy wrote:
Doom_Infinite wrote: I accept the apology but to show their sincerity make Joel (Fanta) Tess an NPC in Shenmue III. He could bump into Ryo while drinking Fanta and then give a sincere apology. lol

That would actually be pretty funny and cool. x)

I can imagine him in Shenmue, as one of the more eccentric characters. He kind of reminds me of that guy that hung around the harbour (the one with the Elvis hair)

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: Marzy, Supa
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Marzy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:17 pm

That's him! I forgot his name. :D
Marzy