Logo font

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Logo font

Postby iyapol » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:36 am

It's taken me nearly a month to figure out why the Shenmue III logo on the KS and all the promo vids looks so off - because it's a completely different font!

Is there a reason they've tinkered with the font or is it merely down to copyright? I'm not so keen. I think it's the huge S followed by the miniscule Es.

Apologies in advance if this has already been brought up.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Logo font

Postby FRASIER v3 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:25 am

Nope I hear ya, I do a lot of graphic design and become visualy aware when it comes to logos and text.

You're right something is off, I've heard folks saying they've received none of our money yet but still think they could have out together a better main piece logo.
FRASIER v3
Asia Travel Representative

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:35 am

i get the impression SEGA are not allowing them to use the original logo/font since one of our community members who provided his KS video promo for the KS page had to remove the logo before they were allowed to put it on the page.

hopefully that'll change should the KS be successfully funded. Its strange though because there have been a few places where they used the original font. Maybe we should ask him on the twitch stream assuming they are taking questions.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Otacon_ahs » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:39 am

The did it right on the reveal trailer, so i don¡t know why they're using that new one.

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote: Maybe we should ask him on the twitch stream assuming they are taking questions.

That's a good idea.
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue I

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:43 am

Maybe there is an agreement that the game has to get funded first for Ys Net to use Shenmue assets from the Sega archives as part of their own, new material. So far, they have only shown old Dreamcast footage of the first two games which was the only time they used the old logo, as far as I remember.

The game will get funded in two days, so maybe after that Ys Net will be allowed to incorporate the old logo into their new material.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Supa » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:08 am

The real Shenmue III logo has also appeared at the end of every single video interview that I've seen.

The Shenmue Online assets are clearly being used well, look at that banner under the stretch goals. All of that is Shenmue Online, they just removed the word "Online". And the picture of "Wanchi" above "What's Shenmue III?" is from Shenmue Online. Lan Di's model on the main character slides is from Shenmue Online. There is concept art of Ryo and Shenhua all over the place. Videos of Shenmue I and Shenmue II. They even used the correct "III" in the "What's Shenmue III?" banner, just not the correct "Shenmue". Maybe it is just lack of attention to detail on the designer's part?
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ash55 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:04 pm

The font is the least problematic part... It's that absolutely awful abuse of the bevel/emboss tool makes it look horrendously bad. I would actually prefer comic sans to this so long as it's plain white.

I can only hope Awesome Japan is responsible for it (since the rest of the Kickstarter page also looks like an amateur put it together) and that YsNet either go back to using the original logo, or hire an actual graphic designer to make a new logo for the game.

I wonder how much potential funding they've lost from semi-interested people who are unwilling to donate to such a shoddy kickstarter page. It's a shame.
ash55

PSN: TFMash55
XBL: ash55
Steam: ash55

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:30 pm

So after the Kickstarter does Awesome Japan go away? Or are we saddled with them for the duration of production?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Supa » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:50 pm

That is what I am wondering.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:53 pm

They were hired for the Kickstarter. That's it. Shibuya Productions are the project co-ordinators/producing the game and Sony will be the ones marketing and choosing who ports the PS4 version, so they have said.

All that Awesome Japan will probably have left to do is make sure they make good on the Kickstarter rewards.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Amir » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:01 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: They were hired for the Kickstarter. That's it. Shibuya Productions are the project co-ordinators/producing the game and Sony will be the ones marketing and choosing who ports the PS4 version, so they have said.

All that Awesome Japan will probably have left to do is make sure they make good on the Kickstarter rewards.

I thought YSNet were developing the PS4 version and Shibuya were porting to PC? Cedric mentioned something about being charge of the PC version.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Return to Shenmue III