Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:04 pm

For god sake YS, if you have to delay the game a year to improve it... Do it. As long you guys are working hard we will have no problems waiting for a better product.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:08 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: For god sake YS, if you have to delay the game a year to improve it... Do it. As long you guys are working hard we will have no problems waiting for a better product.

Delay cost money. I don't think Cédric, and even less Sony would agree with that.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: For god sake YS, if you have to delay the game a year to improve it... Do it. As long you guys are working hard we will have no problems waiting for a better product.

Delay cost money. I don't think Cédric, and even less Sony would agree with that.

Mmmhm. Yu didn't totally discount being unable to get his new feature in the game though, but we'll see. Best keep donating to the Slacker Backer site, or maybe one of us will win the lottery...

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:38 pm

The font is a Suzuki choice. My own personal view is that they should do a Kickstarter survey with a choice of fonts, i would suggest contacting Awesome Japan to put this forward.
Last edited by Amir on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Scrounder » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:52 pm

Suzuki might be able to put in more features than he expects as development goes on. If not, there's always Shenmue 4!
Scrounder
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:58 pm

Amir wrote:My own personal view is that they should do a Kickstarter survey with a choice of fonts, i would suggest contacting Awesome Japan to put this forward.

Can you imagine the mess they'd make of it?

"15% of you voted to keep the Papyrus logo, 30% don't care, and 55% want it changed... so we're keeping the Papyrus logo, thanks everybody!"

Polygon - Shenmue III Kickstarter scammers threaten to carve Papyrus font onto the chests of children, by Ben Kuchera.

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: Esppiral, fittersau, James Brown
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby James Brown » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:23 pm

Yokosuka wrote:Do you mean it will begin exactly there? In the cave?
YS : All I can tell you is that I don't want to skip a chapter. For instance, it might be the day after the Shenmue II end.

I don't know if anyone else thought this when they read this answer, but I felt like he was referring to the infamous "Boat Chapter"? Although we didn't notice the missing chapter from one game to the next without discovering that it was cut, it sounds as if Yu maybe still regrets that decision and so this time does not want to skip anything between the end of 2 and where 3 should begin?
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:31 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Mmmhm. Yu didn't totally discount being unable to get his new feature in the game though, but we'll see. Best keep donating to the Slacker Backer site, or maybe one of us will win the lottery...

Sony already experimented delay nightmares with Last Guardian so they have many reasons to be against but Cédric never said it was impossible neither. If the targeted features are enough sexy, maybe YSnet can grab some months.

At least, you can see how Suzuki is smart by using "time" instead "money" not to attract scammers this time, or less.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:19 pm

Can you tell us when Shenmue III will begin exactly?
YS : It will be just after the Shenmue II end.

Well, that's it for my "guess" shenmue III would start at the beginning of gd4 :(
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:50 am

Loving my new wallpaper!

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: rdk_nl
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Kiske » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:27 am

Yokosuka wrote: Yu Suzuki interview at MAGIC Monaco 2016 by Gameblog.fr

http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_948_sh ... bisc/page2

But could these new systems change our habits?
YS : No, not that far. It would rather be an "advanced" QTE system. What would be revolutionary is to create QTEs in a world where they don't exist yet. Here, they do. The idea is more about adding things to what it exists. Ideally, I would like to create revolutionary things beyond the QTEs level. But with a release planned for 2017, the time is limited. I wonder if introducing them would be possible.

Can we get some precisions about these possible new features? Are they linked with the free battle for instance?

YS : Yes it might involve the combat systems. But above all, there is a new interface system and I'm thinking a lot about it. But I'm not sure yet if I can implement it in time. So I'm unable to tell you more.

So, will these flashbacks be videos captured from the previous episodes or fresh cutscenes powered by the new engine in order to keep a visual unity?
YS : I'm not sure yet but according the time it would require to make these cutscenes with the new engine, I fear that would take too much time. Once again, the remaining development time might be problematic.

Will you continue the idea of giving absolutely an identity to each NPC with their own house, workplace and individual schedule ?
YS : We will see if we can make it for all of them. In any case, that's what I want, yes.

Thank you Mr. Suzuki and good luck for the future!
YS : Thank you!

Thank you for the translation Yokosuka! That was a very interesting read.

To be honest, I've mixed feelings about the interview.

The message I keep in mind from Yu's answers is that he's fully aware of the main issue about Shenmue 3 development: The potential lack of time to implement all the features they have in mind.

I would sign right now for a 6 month delay if this means a better experience. I know time is money and delays would cost a lot to YsNet and Shibuya, but at the same time, Shenmue 3 is our last chance for the franchise to go to the end of the story and if the game isn't good enough when released, the negative impact on the Shenmue 4 and 5 development could be heavy.

I do hope they will focus on the main features and of course, a perfect gameplay, but I'm kind of sad to think that we will have to give up on nice features who made the Shenmue experience this enjoyable.

About the flash-back cutscenes: If they decide not to go with the Unreal 4 engine but use remastered scenes from Shenmue 1 & 2, the positive point is that they will have to make Ryo, Shenhua, Ren and other main character faces as close as possible to the original ones.

So far, I'm really impressed by the fantastic job done on the sceneries. The graphics and colors are "Shenmue spot on" and full of details. Again, my only fear is that they will (probably) run out of time to make the game Yu wants.

Side note:

Don't you think Kid Nocon was in charge of the big cherry tree? They look very familiar (of course it's still work in progress) and I think it would be very nice from Yu to ask Kid Nocon to draw/build the tree, since he was the first one to ever recreate Shenmue in HD.

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Amir » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:12 am

I asked if the tree was designed by Nocon and he said it wasn't. I guess they have a lot of talented artists!

Amir has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Kiske » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:14 am

Amir wrote: I asked if the tree was designed by Nocon and he said it wasn't. I guess they have a lot of talented artists!

It's funny that you asked! :D
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby SMDzero » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:29 am

Kiske wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: Yu Suzuki interview at MAGIC Monaco 2016 by Gameblog.fr

http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_948_sh ... bisc/page2

But could these new systems change our habits?
YS : No, not that far. It would rather be an "advanced" QTE system. What would be revolutionary is to create QTEs in a world where they don't exist yet. Here, they do. The idea is more about adding things to what it exists. Ideally, I would like to create revolutionary things beyond the QTEs level. But with a release planned for 2017, the time is limited. I wonder if introducing them would be possible.

Can we get some precisions about these possible new features? Are they linked with the free battle for instance?

YS : Yes it might involve the combat systems. But above all, there is a new interface system and I'm thinking a lot about it. But I'm not sure yet if I can implement it in time. So I'm unable to tell you more.

So, will these flashbacks be videos captured from the previous episodes or fresh cutscenes powered by the new engine in order to keep a visual unity?
YS : I'm not sure yet but according the time it would require to make these cutscenes with the new engine, I fear that would take too much time. Once again, the remaining development time might be problematic.

Will you continue the idea of giving absolutely an identity to each NPC with their own house, workplace and individual schedule ?
YS : We will see if we can make it for all of them. In any case, that's what I want, yes.

Thank you Mr. Suzuki and good luck for the future!
YS : Thank you!

Thank you for the translation Yokosuka! That was a very interesting read.

To be honest, I've mixed feelings about the interview.

The message I keep in mind from Yu's answers is that he's fully aware of the main issue about Shenmue 3 development: The potential lack of time to implement all the features they have in mind.

I would sign right now for a 6 month delay if this means a better experience. I know time is money and delays would cost a lot to YsNet and Shibuya, but at the same time, Shenmue 3 is our last chance for the franchise to go to the end of the story and if the game isn't good enough when released, the negative impact on the Shenmue 4 and 5 development could be heavy.

I do hope they will focus on the main features and of course, a perfect gameplay, but I'm kind of sad to think that we will have to give up on nice features who made the Shenmue experience this enjoyable.

About the flash-back cutscenes: If they decide not to go with the Unreal 4 engine but use remastered scenes from Shenmue 1 & 2, the positive point is that they will have to make Ryo, Shenhua, Ren and other main character faces as close as possible to the original ones.

So far, I'm really impressed by the fantastic job done on the sceneries. The graphics and colors are "Shenmue spot on" and full of details. Again, my only fear is that they will (probably) run out of time to make the game Yu wants.

Side note:

Don't you think Kid Nocon was in charge of the big cherry tree? They look very familiar (of course it's still work in progress) and I think it would be very nice from Yu to ask Kid Nocon to draw/build the tree, since he was the first one to ever recreate Shenmue in HD.

I sorta agree here..... 2.5 years is a very short period of time to make a game so ambitious as Shenmue 3.

I'd say a minimum of 3 years would be necessary for this type of game for a non-compromised experience.

That said, Suzuki has already wowed us in terms of what quality of visuals he can do with the budget so I'm sure he will have a fantastic game ready to go late next year.

I'm sure he will delay the game a month or so if needed as well.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Miles Prower » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:54 am

Yokosuka wrote: Will you continue the idea of giving absolutely an identity to each NPC with their own house, workplace and individual schedule ?

Good to know :D
And yeah, if he and the team feel the need to delay the game to make it the best it can possibly be, I would not object to that. We've already waited 15 years, what's a little longer?
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III