Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:50 am

Excellent 5-page retrospective of the saga history by Shenmue Master. French only, it may deserve a translation :
http://shenmueangel.free.fr/page.php?ca ... henmue-iii
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Giorgio » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:54 am

Yokosuka wrote: Excellent 5-page retrospective of the saga history by Shenmue Master. French only, it may deserve a translation :
http://shenmueangel.free.fr/page.php?ca ... henmue-iii

Looks amazing. An English translation is so much want.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Chaikilla » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:21 pm

So I've been thinking...Somebody spent the night in the cave at least a day before Ryo and Shenhua, right? Which means that somebody else was on their way to Bailu village, also. Now I know the obvious choice is Lan Di (since we know he's headed there) or if not him, Niao sun, but I think they're both too classy and important to spend the night camping in some random cave just to get to their destination. Plus, Lan Di has a helicopter...

Ever since my first play-through of Shenmue 2 I always thought that Shenhua's comment that somebody recently spent the night in the cave before them reeked of Chai but I dismissed it once I unlocked the comic side-stories which seemed to give his story closure. Now that's he's confirmed to appear in Shenmue 3, however, I'd be surprised if he wasn't in Bailu village. I'm expecting Shenmue 3 to start with Chai announcing himself to Ryo and Shenhua. I feel like he will try to kidnap Shenhua and I think he'll succeed (at least initially) since I'm of the belief that Ryo and Shenhua will be split up somehow.
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:54 pm

Personally, I thought it was always Ren who got there before them.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:17 pm

I forget how Mitsuyoshi-san (Shenmue theme, Shenmue Sedge Tree orchestra version, A New Journey) was so awesome. He's even the Daytona USA and Sega Rally voice. Comeback please ?

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Yokosuka has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Mr357
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:55 pm

Ryuji Iuchi composed the many of the music tracks from both Shenmue games. I found this forum post from 2013 by a member who contacted Ryuji.

realnabarl wrote: Hi guys, recently (9 days ago) I contacted Mr. Ryuji and asking for a list of track composer. I realized I'm stupid cause a single composer might not keep that and he has left the project for 10+ years, but I still asked. He said He doesn't have one but he can confirm some single track which composed by him, and he asked for some links like YouTube. Then I gave him Dojo's YouTube list, this is what he has confirmed:

* Those tracks with (?) are the ones he can't sure about (maybe his works)

Shenmue In-Game Music
03,06,07,11,27?,30

Shenmue Cutscene Music
15,27?,31,34?,37,42?,45?,46,49,53,54?,57?,

Shenmue FREE Music
01,02?,07,08,13,16

Shenmue <Cassette Tape> Music
01,05?,12,14,15,21,26

Shenmue Misc Music
01.02.03.04.05?.11.12.15?.18.20.21.22.

Shenmue Passport Music
01.03.05.06.09.10.11.14?.17.18

Shenmue II Music : Aberdeen
02.05.06.10.11.13.20?.44

Shenmue II Music : Wan Chai
11.19?.20.27.31.32.43.44.48?

No more tracks comfirmed cause he said he was busy.

Here's a blog post Ryuji wrote up during the Kickstarter. (Translated by Switch)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48196&p=1100498#p1100498

Ziming has received a thanks from: Mr357
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:25 am

I also think that one main artist for composing is more suitable to the situation and the artists themselves. The original working conditions looked a bit like 30's MGM tyrannia. But imagine a Mitsuyoshi's cameo for the secret arcade room. That would be priceless :)
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:19 pm

There's also Yuzo Koshiro and Hayato Matsuo (who also did the arrangement for the Orchestration album: http://vgmdb.net/album/598) who both composed a fair chunk of music. I don't think Koshiro ever confirmed all of the music he did either. There was so much music in both games though, it's pretty much a collab project between them all. I think those two are more likely at returning to the project since they're freelance, unless Mitsuyoshi leaves SEGA to work on Shenmue 3, which I doubt he will do.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:25 pm

If you're interested, the two Mitsuyoshi interviews about his work (and colleagues a bit) on Shenmue :
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42297 (2011)
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?9 ... henmue-SoR (2008)
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:29 pm

So I've thinking recently... How long do you think it will take before we see anything a bit mire substantial from shenmue 3 (beyond the screenshots, as awesome as they are). Like a trailer/gameplay?

I ask because it feels like it may be a while, like next year. With Biscay saying their isn't much to show, surely they need a lot of time to themselves. But then the bizarre thing is the games estimate release is Dec 2017? (Which as much as I want it to be true, I dunno man, not that I'm impatient for it, they should take their time/delay if necessary). Can you imagine them splitting it into episodes? That may result in a better end product for shenmue 3 (thinking of it as 'disc 1') but I think shenmue 4's development may likely suffer if they took that approach.

If I appear to be asking a dumb question/offending anyone I'm sorry, just inquisitive and interested in hearing your responses. I love shenmue and e3 2015 is the year of dreams. That day also happened to be my birthday! I also didn't have a great year until then so overall I'm very happy!

I predict the first substantial thing we'll see (if q4 2017 release is true) is at playstation experience in December 2016, maybe a cutscene. Then maybe a pre-alpha for Feb 2017 with a shenmue 1 style FREE trailer for e3 2017. But definitely until late this year I don't think we'll hear anything. (Unless shenmue HD gets announced at e3 this year xD)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:39 pm

I don't think it will make it in December 2017, but 24 months is quite a while away, and I'd say an appropriate amount of time to get the work done to 70-80% finish the game in that timeframe. They've come leaps and bounds in the last sub-6 months of prototype development, and it needs to be remembered they're working with a very efficient engine.

I don't think splitting the game into episodes would work, as the game is clearly not structured for it. If they thought it was a possibility that they'd have to split the game up, they likely would have made it their plan from the start anyway.

Magic Monaco is going to have a "teaser" video, but don't expect a highly produced well polished trailer. Same with gameplay, don't expect anything solid until around this time next year, but that doesn't mean we won't get glimpses from time to time.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:03 pm

In his recent tweet, Cédric said exactly "We need to wait a while (for a trailer) because it implies that the development is finishing. A teaser at @MagicMonaco is planned."

According Red Bull (assuming that the article was published few days after the interview), Suzuki confirmed that the team is still working on a prototype while the pre-production has officially began since August. Apparently since November for the testing phase (Yu's favorite developpement part).

So officially, we're still not in the classic production process.

I expect a teaser with something like a slow circular travelling somewhere on Bailu, then at the end the Ryo's back before the screen is fading. Then the appearance of, I wish, the true Shenmue III font !!! Otherwise, I would be more than happy.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Then the appearance of, I wish, the true Shenmue III font !!!

Fingers crossed, i am hoping to have this mystery answered in Monaco

Peter has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Spaghetti wrote:I don't think it will make it in December 2017, but 24 months is quite a while away, and I'd say an appropriate amount of time to get the work done to 70-80% finish the game in that timeframe. They've come leaps and bounds in the last sub-6 months of prototype development, and it needs to be remembered they're working with a very efficient engine.

I don't think splitting the game into episodes would work, as the game is clearly not structured for it. If they thought it was a possibility that they'd have to split the game up, they likely would have made it their plan from the start anyway.

Magic Monaco is going to have a "teaser" video, but don't expect a highly produced well polished trailer. Same with gameplay, don't expect anything solid until around this time next year, but that doesn't mean we won't get glimpses from time to time.

Great point, I keep forgetting about UE4, which looks very impressive especially from a development standpoint. Like you, I still think Dec 2017 may be unlikely, unless Sony is really kicking their butts in motion. And the fact is, 99% of kickstarter games get delayed or end up releasing in parts. I understand though, game dev ain't cheap after all and such creativity can't be measured, it's going to be a bumpy road for Yu, as Phil Spencer says he's got massive expectations to meet "and it's going to be difficult".

The only other games I've ever backed outside of shenmue were broken age, broken sword 5 and the slaughter. All ended up getting delayed and all ended up releasing in parts lol. Also, I didn't end up liking one of them, which was broken age and I never finished it as a result. That was also the most popular/funded game out of the three. Broken sword 5 was practically perfection though imo, especially with how lacklustre 3 and 4 were. The slaughter just came out, digging it so far.

Lol went on a tangent there xD

Yokosuka wrote:In his recent tweet, Cédric said exactly "We need to wait a while (for a trailer) because it implies that the development is finishing. A teaser at @MagicMonaco is planned."

According Red Bull (assuming that the article was published few days after the interview), Suzuki confirmed that the team is still working on a prototype while the pre-production has officially began since August. Apparently since November for the testing phase (Yu's favorite developpement part).

So officially, we're still not in the classic production process.

I expect a teaser with something like a slow circular travelling somewhere on Bailu, then at the end the Ryo's back before the screen is fading. Then the appearance of, I wish, the true Shenmue III font !!! Otherwise, I would be more than happy.

So, who wants to place bets on the actual release date? Lol

Also, yes, please Ys Net, for crying out loud, show us new font! I know they must be busy, but the existing one has negative 'awesome japan' connotations. Hopefully we will hear the last of them soon...

Peter wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: Then the appearance of, I wish, the true Shenmue III font !!!

Fingers crossed, i am hoping to have this mystery answered in Monaco

Maybe it'll be this... XD

Which makes my face go:
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby mrandyk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:18 am

I'm skeptical of the December 2017 release date as well. I bet that in reality it ends up being a Summer 2018 release. Not because we aren't seeing much yet - we really shouldn't for quite a while - but because the 2017 target was surely an optimistic one that isn't likely to be met.

mrandyk has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III