E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Wed May 11, 2016 5:23 pm

I would anticipate the Sega capsule toys would be the biggest issue. I think they would have to cut them from the game all together unless Sega gives approval, which could be the set back
Last edited by ShOzO MiZuKi on Wed May 11, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Peter » Wed May 11, 2016 5:24 pm

But.... it would be a fully licensed game. It's not the same as Shenmue 3.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed May 11, 2016 5:26 pm

This year's E3 looks to be very interesting for classic SEGA IPs if that video is anything to go by. Perhaps they'll setup an equivalent of what they have made for the SEGA genesis hub but for saturn/dreamcast remaster games too... one can dream...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Wed May 11, 2016 5:29 pm

I know, that's what makes it confusing. I know the whole Coke and Sapporo machines could easily be swapped out, but what other aspects would they need licensing for? The music?
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 11, 2016 5:49 pm

ShOzO MiZuKi wrote: I know, that's what makes it confusing. I know the whole Coke and Sapporo machines could easily be swapped out, but what other aspects would they need licensing for? The music?

Ryo's Timex watch. They also specifically said licenced products, so music isn't an issue.

I think they want to preserve the Dreamcast releases as much as possible with any potential remaster, which is really cool. It does cause complications but I'm sure it could be worked out.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Wed May 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Sonoshee wrote:
ShenSun wrote: Shenmue 3 will on the E3 stage. They'd be stupid not to show it considering how much buzz it got last year.

It was one of the biggest announcements at their conference.

Im calling it, Shenmue 3 trailer or gameplay demo with models finally being revealed, along with an hd announcement of the first 2.

They already stated somewhere (I forget the exact place, maybe someone can help me out here) that Shenmue 3 would not be at E3 at all this year (there apparently won't be enough to show). I'd love to be proven wrong but I am not getting my hopes up for anything concrete. After all these years of being disappointed, I'm surprised you are so willing to set yourself up this way regarding a trailer, models AND Shenmue HD.

I think the statement you are refering to, is Cédric Biscay's interview at Magic 2016 when he said he wasn't even sure if they would be at E3 and that there were no plans at the moment (back in february).

Here's the exact transcription of what he said:

In French: [...] je ne peux même pas te dire qu'il se passera quelque chose à l'E3, mais peut-être qu'on décidera à un moment donné de montrer à nouveau quelque chose de neuf.

Yokosuka translation: I can't even tell you whether something will happen at E3 but perhaps we'll decide to show something new.

In my opinion, Shenmue 3 is not completely off the table at E3...
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Wed May 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Almost 1 year after the big KS success and they are still "investigating" how to solve licence issues and make the game?

"Investigating" smells like a pr response made to nor confirm the thing and neither deny it, which saves them from the anger of fans if they denied it.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Wed May 11, 2016 6:07 pm

Spaghetti wrote: I'm taking this as a confirmation that it's happening. They wouldn't be talking about it at all if the licencing was completely unworkable.

My number 4 in the list. :P

4. Sega Europe #AskSEGA campaign. Inconceivable (imo) that they didn't anticipate the #SaveShenmueHD effect.

Doesn't mean that they will announce Shenmue HD at E3, BUT to me, it's almost like they know that finally, the Shenmue question isn't tabou anymore and can fit into a campaign like the #AskSega one.

The licencing problem may be tough, but definitely not an insurmountable challenge.
If they decide to remaster Shenmue I & II, they will remaster Shenmue I & II no matter what licencing or technical issues they may face.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiske » Wed May 11, 2016 6:13 pm

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Almost 1 year after the big KS success and they are still "investigating" how to solve licence issues and make the game?

"Investigating" smells like a pr response made to nor confirm the thing and neither deny it, which saves them from the anger of fans if they denied it.

The fact is, Sega never gaved an official answer about Shenmue HD.
I'll take this "investigating" status with a measured enthusiasm.
We could expect 2 kind of answers from the #AskSega thing: No or the one they gaved.

If they ever announce Shenmue HD, they certainly won't spoil it days or month before the event they have chose to make such announcement. May be E3, TGS or even PSX at this point (hopefully in 2016).

Kiske has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 11, 2016 6:19 pm

Kiske wrote:My number 4 in the list. :P

4. Sega Europe #AskSEGA campaign. Inconceivable (imo) that they didn't anticipate the #SaveShenmueHD effect.

Doesn't mean that they will announce Shenmue HD at E3, BUT to me, it's almost like they know that finally, the Shenmue question isn't tabou anymore and can fit into a campaign like the #AskSega one.

The licencing problem may be tough, but definitely not an insurmountable challenge.
If they decide to remaster Shenmue I & II, they will remaster Shenmue I & II no matter what licencing or technical issues they may face.

Haha. I don't think either of us could have predicted it quite like this.

That said, I don't think they suddenly decided to look into Shenmue HD since #AskSEGA, but it probably gave them incentive to address it sooner rather than later. The decision to talk about Shenmue HD likely came all the way from Japan, and probably after extensive debate on the business case for making it happen. It's a long time coming for sure.

If they're ready to talk about it as a legitimate possibility, they must be at the fork in the road where they decide to make a licencing deal, or replace the licenced items. I really admire them for wanting to go the extra mile in preserving the Dreamcast originals in their entirety. I just hope the licencees play ball.

Hopefully they get it sewn up in time for TGS/PSX this year.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Wed May 11, 2016 6:34 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
ShOzO MiZuKi wrote: I know, that's what makes it confusing. I know the whole Coke and Sapporo machines could easily be swapped out, but what other aspects would they need licensing for? The music?

Ryo's Timex watch. They also specifically said licenced products, so music isn't an issue.

I think they want to preserve the Dreamcast releases as much as possible with any potential remaster, which is really cool. It does cause complications but I'm sure it could be worked out.

Am I correct in thinking that some middleware used in the development of the first two games are no longer in business? This could also be one of the licensing issues.

Kiske wrote:I think the statement you are refering to, is Cédric Biscay's interview at Magic 2016 when he said he wasn't even sure if they would be at E3 and that there were no plans at the moment (back in february).

That was it, along with the following article: http://wccftech.com/shenmue-iii-story-9 ... e-e3-2016/

I would obviously LOVE to see new Shenmue 3 material at E3 next month, but I'm refusing to set myself up for a fall. If anything is shown/announced, it will just make it all that more sweeter!
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 11, 2016 6:42 pm

Sonoshee wrote: Am I correct in thinking that some middleware used in the development of the first two games are no longer in business? This could also be one of the licensing issues.

The video specifically says the licencing issues are with productions in the originals, so naw.

I'm of the personal belief the engine licencing issue was never real, because nothing besides a single forum post ever backed up that urban myth. Not saying it couldn't be true, but if it was, it has already been solved if product licencing is the last big roadblock.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Sonoshee
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Anonymous81 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:30 pm

Since so far I've pretty much ruled out buying either of the new consoles at this point, and NX is confirmed to not be at E3 at all, literally the only things I'm excited about for this E3 are:

Shenmue 3 and/or Shenmue 1 & 2 HD announcement (I am skeptical that either will occur, but obviously I would be overjoyed.)

Zelda Wii U (literally the only thing Nintendo plans to show at this E3 which is... distressing. But at least I'll finally get to see gameplay.)

And... that's it. Lol. Hopefully there are some nice new announcements in store that will tempt me to one of the new platforms, or at least some fun PC stuff.

For now though... Doom comes out tomorrow, and I fully intend to party like it's 1993.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Monkei » Thu May 12, 2016 1:59 am

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Almost 1 year after the big KS success and they are still "investigating" how to solve licence issues and make the game?

Reminds me of Yu Suzuki "looking into" Kickstarter for a couple of years. :P

Monkei has received 5 thanks from: Amir, FlagshipFighter, Mr357, SickOctopus, Sonoshee
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mr357 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:02 am

Monkei wrote:

Reminds me of Yu Suzuki "looking into" Kickstarter for a couple of years. :P

That's exactly what I've been thinking. As unlikely as it might be, I really hope they're just messing with us and already have something to show.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III