E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Postby SheepheadCG » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:29 pm

What a great show though. Insanely good. There is still hope with Shenmue 1 and 2 I guess, as Sega is actually at this E3. They have some broadcast sessions for the next 3 days with some unannounced projects there.

This is SEGA/Atlus’ E3 2016 stage schedule:

Tuesday, June 14
1:00 PM: Special presentation.
2:00 PM: Yakuza 0 presentation with series creator Toshihiro Nagoshi.
3:00 PM: Persona 5 character design talk with character designer Shigenori Soejima.
4:00 PM: Special presentation.
5:00 PM: The King of Fighters XIV pro exhibition matches.

Wednesday, June 15
11:00 AM: Persona 5 exclusive E3 print autograph session with Shigenori Soejima.
12:30 PM: Special presentation.
2:00 PM: The King of Fighters XIV pro exhibition matches.
3:00 PM: Yakuza 0 demo.
4:30 PM: Special presentation.

Thursday, June 16
11:00 AM: Persona 5 fan Q&A with Shigenori Soejima.
12:00 PM: Special presentation.
2:30 PM: The King of Fighters XIV pro exhibition matches.
3:30 PM: Special presentation.

I assume the time is local time. Going to be watching and waiting, lets see what happens!
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby GYO6161 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:31 pm

Meh conference, 4/10
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby mrandyk » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:40 pm

GYO6161 wrote: Meh conference, 4/10

Agreed. Don't understand those being dazzled.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:44 pm

Good news not to see Shenmue III. With one-year development only, the game would clearly have been felt out of place in front of all these bombs.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Kiske
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Englishhedgehog » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:54 pm

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz/10
Englishhedgehog
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Englishhedgehog13
Steam: Englishhedgehog13
Currently playing: Bayonetta

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:09 pm

Mistakenly posted in the other thread:

Unfortunately Twitter is already blowing up with "No Shenmue 3 after it got Kickstarted last year? What a scam" comments. Seems people don't know Kickstarters actually, y'know, provide updates on the backed games...
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Technophilz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:18 pm

As expected, nothing about Shenmue 3 was shown at Sony's E3, another wasted opportunity to spread the word and gain new supporters... I'll be optimistic and hope for some trailer next year ..
If things go on at this pace, I guess the game will face a series of delays and won't be released before end of 2018 at earliest.
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:26 pm

Technophilz wrote: As expected, nothing about Shenmue 3 was shown at Sony's E3, another wasted opportunity to spread the word and gain new supporters... I'll be optimistic and hope for some trailer next year ..
If things go on at this pace, I guess the game will face a series of delays and won't be released before end of 2018 at earliest.

I wouldn't be so pessimistic. They're clearly getting their heads down and getting the work done.

Unfortunately the false stigma of "it's a scam" propagated by games media and message boards is still rife. I'm astounded by the amount of people who didn't even know updates were coming on Kickstarter.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Technophilz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:34 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
I wouldn't be so pessimistic. They're clearly getting their heads down and getting the work done.

Unfortunately the false stigma of "it's a scam" propagated by games media and message boards is still rife. I'm astounded by the amount of people who didn't even know updates were coming on Kickstarter.

I wouldn't blame people for not caring about the Kickstarter updates, because the updates were mostly practically useless.
Technophilz

Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:41 pm

Technophilz wrote:I wouldn't blame people for not caring about the Kickstarter updates, because the updates were mostly practically useless.

Nahhh, the earlier ones about game progress + screens were interesting enough. MAGIC update too for that matter.

Says more about ignorance of game development and timescales in people more than anything.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:58 pm

SheepheadCG wrote: What a great show though. Insanely good.

Yup, insane is a good adjective.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:02 am

Yokosuka wrote: Good news not to see Shenmue III. With one-year development only

I'm the only one concerned that Yu will try to deliver SIII in dec 2017 just to keep his word, even if the game would need more time ??

I'm not using concerned as satire BTW.

It's like Yu always tries to make stuff different, or perfect, that I feel that the pressure to not deliver the game in "time" would be more important to him that actually give us what he wants SIII to be.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:13 am

shredingskin wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: Good news not to see Shenmue III. With one-year development only

I'm the only one concerned that Yu will try to deliver SIII in dec 2017 just to keep his word, even if the game would need more time ??

It's like Yu always tries to make stuff different, or perfect, that I feel that the pressure to not deliver the game in "time" would be more important to him that actually give us what he wants SIII to be.

It seems that you didn't read his Gameblog interview at Monaco, didn't you ?

Suzuki clearly wants the delay. But delay costs money...

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:45 am

shredingskin wrote:I'm the only one concerned that Yu will try to deliver SIII in dec 2017 just to keep his word, even if the game would need more time ??

It depends. With a build already playable in a traditionally Shenmue sense in the place of 10 months, they could well get what they want done in the next year and a half. If the game really does need a delay, well, they'll cross that road when they get to it. There will be haters crawling out of the woodwork though, as per usual.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Wanderin' » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:52 am

Been hiding out ever since Shenmue 3 was officially announced 366 days ago to the day. Since the game is actually reality now, I've had little else to say other than to wait patiently and respectfully for Mr. Suzuki and his team to do what they need to do to make Shenmue 3 as great as it can be given their resources.

But therein lies the point - "given their resources".

First off, I do not wish for this message of mine to give off any kind of negative connotation. After all, as Shenmue fans we ALL know what it's been like to fight for Shenmue 3. And now, ever since its real, official announcement and in-progress development, all of us community of fans also share what it feels like to know that impossible literally is nothing and that anything you can wish for is possible (especially given the decade of hoping and wishing leading up to E3 2015...).

Nevertheless, given last night's Sony E3 conference I just want to get a little peeve off my chest. Now - even though I absolutely adore both Yu Suzuki and Hideo Kojima and loved how Kojima triumphantly harked his return (ie. "I'm back!") on Sony's stage and then proceeded to demo an unbelievably lavishly developed 3D cutscene/trailer (non gameplay, non in game footage, etc.) for his next Sony co-developed PS4 game (that hasn't even chosen a base game engine for development yet) - all this gives me a sour taste, especially given my concurrent affections for Suzuki and Shenmue.

After all, think about this. Kojima and his newly formed Kojima Productions, given their current superstar status in the game industry, has most likely been given near carte blanche/blank check budget resources by Sony to develop his new "Death Stranding" title.

On the other hand, despite Sony's lip service (I know, I know. Without Sony's help, Shenmue 3 would never even be here...) to how legendary Suzuki is and how grand Shenmue is - Suzuki and his impoverished Ysnet are contracted to ask for the mere pittance of $2 million dollars for a mandatory Kickstarter campaign to gauge public response for the necessity of Shenmue 3. That Shenmue's community of fans ultimately pooled together to even afford Suzuki $6 million dollars in the end is his honour and our hard effort and privilege.

My apologies. Long story short: yes, I suppose we should be complacent that Shenmue 3 is even happening at all. And yet, when Kojima is likely being given unlimited resources at his disposal by his partnership with Sony to ensure that his next game will be as grand as it can be, I cannot help but feel that Suzuki and Shenmue 3 are being physically held back in quality and cannot be grander that it can be without being given the same kind of resources that a Kojima game is being given.

After all, what's Suzuki really asking for in total to make the complete Shenmue 3 that he has always envisioned? 10-12 million? Even now we're thirstily grasping for what more additional stretch goals we can afford and Suzuki has spoken of scaling down the scope of Shenmue 3 to what can be developed with $6 million dollars. Surely Kojima is getting more than that to make his Death Stranding.

If Sony wants Shenmue 3 to be the greatest it can be, then it should actively take actions to set it up for success - in short, if they want to commit to Shenmue 3 then they must also believe in it and afford Suzuki the resources he thinks he needs (without this kind of corporate "we'll make the kind of game that $6 million dollars can afford to make" mentality). While on the other hand, it seems so easy for them to commit to and believe that anything Kojima makes will be worth the investment - a self fulfilling prophesy given the fact that they will fund and support its development to make sure it is as grand as it can be.

All things equal, both Kojima's Death Stranding and Suzuki's Shenmue 3 both have the same potential to flop or succeed. And yet one developer is obviously being given all the help it needs to be the best it can be while Suzuki soldiers on, determined to make the best game he can - within the limited scope of the resources allotted to him.

My apologies again. Waiting for so long to have Shenmue continue on definitely makes me a bit standoffish when it comes to discussing the potential continued future and success of the series. But hopefully, surely others can understand what I'm trying to get at when envisioning just how grand Shenmue 3 truly could be if a giant like Sony actually supported Suzuki with all the necessary muscle power to ensure the series continues successfully.
Wanderin'

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III