Shenmue III - ALL THE FACTS AND INFORMATION (THUS FAR)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III - ALL THE FACTS AND INFORMATION (THUS FAR)

Postby BigTuna » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:36 pm

This was honestly really informative. I thought I knew everything, but you've proven me completely wrong. I cannot wait for this game to come out. I have a feeling we will be seeing a 2019 release at this point, but I'm totally cool with that. As long as Yu is happy, I'm happy.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Valascaziel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:52 am

If the scope has expanded to what we all wished for, I'm okay with it moving into Spring 2019.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby starscream178 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:34 am

Valascaziel wrote: If the scope has expanded to what we all wished for, I'm okay with it moving into Spring 2019.

That is true - I would expect however that the game be done before then. The game it self looks like there's been quite a bit of work already done. Between that and the story more or less being done - we have a year of hard work to go, and a lot can happen in that time frame. However, I will gladly play the game in the spring of '19 if that does end up being that case, though would prefer a working demo sometime before that.
starscream178

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Were there any screenshots/sources for arcade cabinets/lucky hit? Where was it mentioned which ones would be included?

Knew about pinball.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KidMarine » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:17 pm

We saw an Excite QTE cabinet in one of the development update videos last year. As far as I know the only confirmation we have of Lucky Hit is the fact that having your face on a board was one of the backer options during the Kickstarter.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:25 am

ShenmueTree wrote: Were there any screenshots/sources for arcade cabinets/lucky hit? Where was it mentioned which ones would be included?

Knew about pinball.

Elaborating on what KidMarine stated, Excite QTE could be seen in action in a Kickstarter update (#65, to be precise); the Fighting Mania-like cabinet (which could very well be an updated QTE Title machine) was mentioned in the Multiplayer.it interview; and Lucky Hit is basically confirmed by the fact one of the backer rewards allows respective backers' faces to be printed onto in-game boards.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:41 am

Updates since my last post:

28/09/2017: Updated with new information from the latest M! Games Magazine interview

27/09/2017: Updated with new information from the latest Official PlayStation Magazine interview

25/09/2017: Cleaned things up, updated the backer amount/count, and added more information

21/09/2017: Moved information about locations into their own category and added lots of miscellaneous information
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:14 am

23/12/2017: Updated with new information from Shenmue Master's Gamescom interview

16/12/2017: Updated with new information about the temple maiden and made some miscellaneous changes

28/11/2017: Updated the Slacker Backer amount

14/10/2017: Updated with new information from the Shenmue Master recap
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sutoji » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:57 pm

This is objectively the best thread on this site regarding Shenmue III
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby Steenkoud » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:10 pm

Forklifts?

I'm so happy!
I have no doubt that this game will be another Yu Suzuki masterpiece.
Steenkoud
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby adom11800 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:39 pm

^ Yeah man, let's hope the game is out this year!

BigTuna wrote: This was honestly really informative. I thought I knew everything, but you've proven me completely wrong. I cannot wait for this game to come out. I have a feeling we will be seeing a 2019 release at this point, but I'm totally cool with that. As long as Yu is happy, I'm happy.

Couldn't agree more, just hope it's out in 2018. So excited for this game.
adom11800

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:26 am

17/03/2018: Updated with new information from MAGIC 2018 and added more citations for older information

14/01/2018: Added citations to the majority of the facts. Incomplete, but this will be taken care of

ShenGCH has received 3 thanks from: Centrale, gillian_seed, Let's Get Sweaty
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:58 am

25/06/2018: Miscellaneous changes and updated the slacker backer pledge total

23/04/2018: Updated with information from previous interviews and talks, and separated information about characters into its own section

18/04/2018: Updated with information from a 2016 DualShockers interview

15/04/2018: Updated with new information from SEGASaturno's MAGIC interview

ShenGCH has received 3 thanks from: Centrale, Let's Get Sweaty, SledgeNE
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby colacube » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:00 am

Sad to hear NPC scripting will be very simple. My favourite thing about Shenmue was the feeling of a living, breathing community. Recently Kingdom Come gave their NPC's lives and realistic routines, but it uses a different engine, so I doubt they could share that tech with Ysnet, dispite having the same publisher.
colacube
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:45 pm

colacube wrote: Sad to hear NPC scripting will be very simple. My favourite thing about Shenmue was the feeling of a living, breathing community. Recently Kingdom Come gave their NPC's lives and realistic routines, but it uses a different engine, so I doubt they could share that tech with Ysnet, dispite having the same publisher.

Don't worry about it too much. If Yu says they'll be making it on-par with Shenmue II's NPC routines, you've still got quite a lively game world. Think... simpler, rather than just outright simple.

You've got the static vendor/mini-game activity characters and other area-specific NPCs (like the sleeping old man at Pigeon Park, or the beggar in Thousand White Quarter), the roaming NPCs (functional ones for getting clues/help finding your way the game world, and more... unique ones like capsule toy maniac), and story/side-story NPCs (either fixed, or roaming like Fangmei, Joy, etc).

The real key differences are that every NPC won't have a backstory, and that the game world isn't designed to realistically house almost every single NPC like the original. Then you've got that knock-on effect that NPCs still be roaming the streets late at night in II when in the original they're almost entirely cleared out, which leads to some vendors remaining open until right up until Ryo's curfew to keep the game world interesting late at night, etc. IMO it's not a concession on technology or complexity of technology, but instead a concession to game design and environmental constraints.

All the same we've not really gotten the full story on this yet. Yu talking about how Bailu Village is a game world more reminiscent of the original might mean

EDIT: Whoops, hit post before I even finished this.

To continue from where I was: it might mean they've possibly managed to fit in NPC behaviour that's closer to the original Shenmue because of the more limited scope of Bailu Village, but we'll have to see.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III