Kingdom deliverance proves that shenmue 3 can be masterpiece

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kingdom deliverance proves that shenmue 3 can be masterp

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:10 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: The media has it out for Kickstarter games.

Like I said up above, I've seen very little criticism of Kingdom Come from anyone who's played it. It seems like most people who've played through it think it's amazing. The reviews are completely at odds with what I've seen on forums--even forums like Resetera.

Kingdom Come's lead designer did the first two Mafia games, which are also supposedly great.

I've been warned multiple times not to waste my money on it.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:59 pm

I guess it's hit or miss, but I've definitely seen a bunch of glowing impressions around the net. It's definitely not a Mighty No.9 situation where the game is just absolutely mediocre.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Jibby » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:54 am

I've heard from friends who play it that whilst very buggy, it's a solid and fun experience. I imagine it'll be worth checking out once they sort the bugs.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby JohnBlack » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Well, i played the game. And actually its good, but as any kickstarter game its just not like the game you actually go and buy from major company. All this kickstarter games lacks producing. Like you can have a top-level game designer but without good production team, he gonna make a mess, cause a lot of times designers are not really connected to end-users and they just do what they want and thats a producers work to polish everything and do right decisions to make great end-product.

And thats how this game feels. There are like 20 moments where i was like "ok, this is awful but hey, this is kickstarter game, what to expect!". And this is all about it, when there is a bug and someone talks about it on forum, one can get answers like "Dont cry, this is kickstarter game, they dont have budget for this!". I dont even mention mac version, promised on kickstarter and now they just forget about it, at least they offer refunds for people who pledged for mac version.

JohnBlack has received a thanks from: gillian_seed
JohnBlack
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby gillian_seed » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:57 am

JohnBlack wrote:cause a lot of times designers are not really connected to end-users and they just do what they want and thats a producers work to polish everything and do right decisions to make great end-product.

Good point. That's what worries me the most. I feel that YS is not connected to modern gaming and to what today gamers and Shenmue fans expect from a good game. It is true that YS is an industry legend, but back in the day he led one of the most talented dev teams and had the support of the most ambitiuos publisher of its time. None of them are on board now, so I have my doubts as wheter YS can achieve a polished end-product as he did with the two first games.
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby Hazuki00 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:26 am

gillian_seed wrote:
JohnBlack wrote:cause a lot of times designers are not really connected to end-users and they just do what they want and thats a producers work to polish everything and do right decisions to make great end-product.

Good point. That's what worries me the most. I feel that YS is not connected to modern gaming and to what today gamers and Shenmue fans expect from a good game. It is true that YS is an industry legend, but back in the day he led one of the most talented dev teams and had the support of the most ambitiuos publisher of its time. None of them are on board now, so I have my doubts as wheter YS can achieve a polished end-product as he did with the two first games.

Some of the principal workers who were developing Shenmue and Shenmue 2 are now on board too.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Isn't Tak Hirai working on Shenmue 3? I'm sure some of the same people are working on the game if Yu Suzuki and Hirai are involved. Maybe not the full force of 100+ Sega AM2 employees, but I don't think it's true 'no one' is working on it.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Yes, Tak Hirai who was lead programmer on Shenmue, so is the original game's co-director Keiji Okayasu, the original writer (Script writer) Masahiro Yoshimoto, Hiroaki Takeuchi (Animation Producer), the environmental artist designer (whose name eludes me right now), the concept artist/character artist (whose name eludes me right now also), the original composer of both Shenmue 1 and 2 Ryuji Iuchi and I'm pretty sure Tak Hirai's team is made up of former AM2 developers too (some developers joined YSNet too but are kept secret, probably due to contracting reasons). There's plenty of AM2 talent working on this.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Pollito Diablo
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby PILMAN » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:29 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Warhorse Studios has around 80 employees, most of which are veterans with experience making games for modern systems.

YS Net doesn't have the same type of manpower but I still expect a good experience from YS.

not quite true, you can see that most their developers this was their first game and less employees than that.

I was an original backer of kingdom come deliverance as well as a original kickstarter backer of shenmue III, both have somewhat similar starts though shenmue went through development hell and kcd had financial issues in the beginning. The game has very positive reviews and strong community support.

KCD devs know the game isnt for everyone and they are fine with that.

phpBB [video]
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby PILMAN » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:47 pm

Jibby wrote: I always find it a tad hypocritical that the same games media outlets who criticise Shenmue III's graphics mid-development don't ever seem to seriously criticise the fact that final product KC:D looks like a PC game from 10 years ago.

Annoys me to no end how willing they are to just jump on bandwagons instead of actually providing genuine researched work.

Are you familiar with the criticism that KCD faced? There was a media boycott due to Daniel Vavra endorsing gamer gate and they nearly had to cancel the project until they ended up getting kickstarter funding to show an investor there was interest in such a game. KCD from the beginning had been at odds not just with the mainstream media like kotaku and polygon but also against traditional fantasy rpgs like skyrim and witcher which had magic and mythical creatures. KCD was developed to follow history.

When I was in the early alpha, all the models were placeholders, they didnt have final voiceovers or motion capture. You can actually see the very early alpha presentation which wasnt released to the public and how much had yet to be developed. The character models were actually finished last.

this was the prototype build in 2014

phpBB [video]
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:51 am

I wasn't aware, but that seems to be more a matter of political discourse rather than criticism and judgement of the game itself. I don't think that it's really a relevant point when outlining negative media bias towards Shenmue III.

And whilst yes, KCD did get some flack from gaming media for going against the grain when it comes to RPGs, it also received huge amounts of praise whilst simultaneously looking like an unpolished/unfinished product (even at launch). The same outlets don't often extend that same courtesy to Shenmue III.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Reprise
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby PILMAN » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:02 am

Jibby wrote: I wasn't aware, but that seems to be more a matter of political discourse rather than criticism and judgement of the game itself. I don't think that it's really a relevant point when outlining negative media bias towards Shenmue III.

And whilst yes, KCD did get some flack from gaming media for going against the grain when it comes to RPGs, it also received huge amounts of praise whilst simultaneously looking like an unpolished/unfinished product (even at launch). The same outlets don't often extend that same courtesy to Shenmue III.

I definitely make no excuses regarding that, it is true there are bugs and truly the game should have probably been delayed a bit longer, even the devs expressed this and stated they wished that they had more time, they have been releasing patches and newest one should be coming next week. I cant speak for xbox but I have not had any game breaking bugs and have been enjoying the game, I usually do a lot of sidequests in between the main quests and I think long term the game will be appreciated. Arma was very disliked as was skyrim in the early release days and it wasnt until later after patches and the modding community that folks appreciated the game more so.

I don't know why some are complaining about graphics, the devs had a very hard time getting stable FPS on consoles even during development, for PC the game looks stunning and theres been significant praise regarding detail, the historical realism, etc.

However, as you mentioned, media has also been critical regarding the bugs and I would say this is a priority.

If this gives some general consensus on Shenmues development, KCD went through several delays as well.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:38 am

The average wage in Prague where the game was made is just under $14,000 year for an employee. In Japan where YsNet is based it’s around $50,000 a year.

Meaning that their money is able to go a lot further then it will for Shenmue III. People seem to think you just push money into a PC like a vending machine and the graphics get better each time you do. The reality is that games like the Witcher can be made a lot cheaper because they make them in counties with cheap labour.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Previous

Return to Shenmue III