Shenmue 3 Dreamcast

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue 3 Dreamcast

Postby SPG » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:48 pm

Hey everyone,

Being a Europe PAL gamer I was lucky to play Shenmue 1 + 2 on the Dreamcast. It felt like this was the system to play the game on. I heard that indie developers are still creating games for the Dreamcast as a hobby and a way to keep the system alive. My question is how difficult do you think it would be for a team of fans/programmers etc to form a project and make a Shenmue 3 release for the Dreamcast? Forget the official Shemue 3 game for now.
SPG
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Re: Shenmue 3 Dreamcast

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:20 pm

Very. There's a 3D engine out there n available but apparently it's a fucker to work with. They struggle to render many faces at once. Similar issues surround a Saturn engine n'all.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby JohnBlack » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:21 pm

Impossible. Its just gonna take too much effort, basically i doubt a team of 2-3 ppl can finish it in their lifetime.
JohnBlack
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:07 am

But making it as a mod for an existing game could be much easier. And most mod teams are only a handful of people, some just one person. The biggest issue in my opinion would be to make the time of day and the people going about their daily lives actually work and seem believable. Depending on what game you are modding will determine how easy it can be. Half Life does not do much with hand to hand fighting, yet a team pulled off Dragon Ball Z rather well- Earth's Special Forces I believe it was called. It was quite impressive.

But you would need at least one animator, one mapper and one coder to even start, unless the one guy can do it all and that is just simply too much work for one person. I am not sure if you can simply take textures and npc models from one game and import them. I highly doubt it is that easy unless you had to make some serious changes and in the end might as well just start from scratch. A lot of dedication for sure.

However how hard would it be to make Shenmue 1.5 on the DC with existing characters for the most part and the same move sets, etc? I mean is the code or game base available? I have never tried to make an actual game before, only map and fiddle with less impressive games. If you can take and reshape the existing code perhaps you could make side stories for some characters to give them more importance. You would not even need to map since the areas would already be built for you. Voices could be reused although you may need to add extra.

Also if it seems like I am talking as if any of this is easy, I know surely it is not. I am just throwing some ideas around. But I know people do mod games like Half Life and they are impressive as well and the games they make some times have nothing to do with the game they are modding for.
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:34 am

It is nigh impossible. First to substainally mod the first two games into a new one you'd need the tools the game was originally developed with, as well as a Dreamcast Dev kit. The problem is these tools are licensed by many different companies are have been out of commission for years, meaning they are either lost forever or extremely difficult to find, or insanely expensive AND very hard to find. Furthermore, you would need the original untouched source code of both games to even get anywhere in the first place.

You're not changing the game scripting with a simple fan mod, is, the schedule of NPCs and story events. Then there's the fact you would need to somehow import brand new geometry and character models, which is a much harder thing to achieve than just character swaps and texture mods. And don't even get me started on the changes you would need to do to the engine to add more systems, which you also need the source code for. Oh, did I mention the many, many, MANY questions of legality that would arise for attempting to do it in the first place?

So that rules out modding Shenmue 1-2 into Shenmue 3.

As for creating it completely from scratch, you need everything I just mentioned except the source code, but you would need to create a tool to import all of shenmues' assets into a new engine, as well create literally thousands of new assets yourself, and work on a brand new game engine because there are no free ones that can handle the scope of 3D that Shenmue has, or... find a developer that already owns the software/hardware and has learned how to code for the Dreamcast as well as be willing to work on your fan game. Tough luck.

It is already hard enough just to kinda haphazardly hack the game up enough to kinda sorta add things that were originally supposed to be there in the first place like the forever elusive Shenmue bike mod.

In conclusion, fuck no you can not mod the game into Shenmue 3 on the dreamcast and fuck no you are not gonna find anyone willing to spend so much time and money on completely creating it from the ground up.

The closest thing that is realistic is a fan recreating Shenmue on a modern engine, and the fans modding that game into Shenmue 3. There have already been countless attempts to do thing and they all end in failure. The most advanced it ever got was Kid Nocons' Shenmue HD remake on unreal engine, and that project has stopped since he has now been hired to work on Shenmue 3. So the next most realistic route is to wait for Shenmue 3 to release and then mod it into your own version if the games assets, if it even has mod support.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:38 am

ShenmueTree wrote:Oh, did I mention the many, many, MANY questions of legality that would arise for attempting to do it in the first place?

The closest thing that is realistic is a fan recreating Shenmue on a modern engine, and the fans modding that game into Shenmue 3. There have already been countless attempts to do thing and they all end in failure. The most advanced it ever got was Kid Nocons' Shenmue HD remake on unreal engine, and that project has stopped since he has now been hired to work on Shenmue 3. So the next most realistic route is to wait for Shenmue 3 to release and then mod it into your own version if the games assets, if it even has mod support.

That has not stopped most modders. And how far did the Unreal Shenmue HD get? In any kind of playable released mod form?
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:46 am

Jerid'sRamenShop wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote:Oh, did I mention the many, many, MANY questions of legality that would arise for attempting to do it in the first place?

That has not stopped most modders. And how far did the Unreal Shenmue HD get? In any kind of playable released mod form?

Nope. Only what we've seen on his YouTube channel. Never released to the public, which is actually the case with many Shenmue projects. Hell, if I remember correctly even the dojo here had a big fan game project that they were collectively working on for years. No release.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Why did they not release? There was that one PC Saturn looking fan made game. It was rough around the edges and I believe it was set in Ryo's younger teen years.
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Gastarot » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:31 am

Are you intertessting by an un-official or official paper box case like Dreamcast for Shenmue 3 on PS4 ?

I can make it (I am Graphic Designer) and propose my free work to Koch Media and Depp Silver.

Gastarot has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby Gastarot » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:34 am

Guys you prefere Dreamcast case size or PS4 case size for special edition of Shenmue III and Shenmue IV ?
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:12 am

Jerid'sRamenShop wrote: Why did they not release? There was that one PC Saturn looking fan made game. It was rough around the edges and I believe it was set in Ryo's younger teen years.

There was no actual gameplay. Snippets of environments here n there, ripped and rebuilt models, a few characters... that was about it.

The other one you're talkin about is Shenmue Zero.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Telekill » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:32 am

As cool as that would be, I don't see it happening. I'd rather just get Shenmue HD Collection on PS4.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby ys » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:19 am

MiTT3NZ wrote:The other one you're talkin about is Shenmue Zero.

Classic.

Here's a link to previous projects : http://shenmue-uk.com/fan_games.html
Tough crowd though : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=801
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Return to Shenmue III