Will Shenmue 3 conclude the story?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Will Shenmue 3 conclude the story?

Postby Kiske » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:58 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Centrale wrote: I'll take your word for it! If I happen to stumble across whatever it was that I saw, I'll post it, but I could have just interpreted it incorrectly.

You're probably thinking of the Gamersflag interview: https://gamersflag.com/article/interview-quelques-questions-a-yu-suzuki-lors-magic-2018/

Yes, the exact translation is "open-ended story" indeed.
That said, aren't you expecting some cliffhanger?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Centrale » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Kiske wrote:Yes, the exact translation is "open-ended story" indeed.
That said, aren't you expecting some cliffhanger?

I reckon it could be more similar to the end of Shenmue I, which wasn't really a cliffhanger, just an indication that Ryo was beginning to travel to a new location.

I think it could even be argued that the ending of Shenmue II wasn't exactly a cliffhanger... it was more of a puzzling, mysterious ending that became a cliffhanger simply by the series going on hiatus. I think the original meaning of cliffhanger would be something like a character literally dangling from a cliff and then a message like "to be continued" flashing on the screen. Something that breaks up the story right in the middle of a pivotal action sequence. A Shenmue III cliffhanger would be something like Ryo throwing a punch at Lan Di and then there's a freezeframe before the punch lands. But now that I think about it more, I would expect it to be something more like the main conflicts of Shenmue III have been resolved, and Ryo is about to travel to a new location, much like with Shenmue I.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Enigma » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:52 pm

The original plot for Virtua Fighter RPG was going to consist of four acts:

I expect by the end of Shenmue 3 when Ryo defeats Lan Di there will be a bigger sense of closure to the story since the central villain would have been defeated and Ryo's quest to avenge Iwao would be over. The ending to 3 could see Ryo 'ride off into the sunset' with the story open for a potential sequel where Ryo finds a new purpose in life but with enough of the core story already resolved that it could be seen as an ending in itself. That's my guess but who knows?
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby adom11800 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:02 pm

^ So is that pretty much confirmed we will fight Lan Di and actually defeat him? Is that Lan Di Ryo is carrying at the 10th picture in the chapter concept art? Man.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Yu likes to play fast and loose with the original VFRPG story. It's a potential outcome of Ryo vs Lan Di, but that's all.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby adom11800 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:45 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Yu likes to play fast and loose with the original VFRPG story. It's a potential outcome of Ryo vs Lan Di, but that's all.

Yeah, I see what you mean by that.
adom11800

Postby darksniper » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:37 pm

adom11800 wrote: ^ So is that pretty much confirmed we will fight Lan Di and actually defeat him? Is that Lan Di Ryo is carrying at the 10th picture in the chapter concept art? Man.

I think it's Lan Di. But the general consensus believes that it's Ren and I can see how. This is pure speculation on my part, but I have a gut feeling that Lan Di will become an ally at some point during the series and he's going die in some noble sacrifice. Why else would Shenmue II push the narrative of Ryo forgiving Lan Di so much during the game?

There's two things that I'm looking forward to about Shenmue III

1. The conversation between Ryo and Lan Di when they finally confront each other. Given the fact that Lan Di knows that Ryo is after him, and also that he killed Iwao in somewhat honorable fashion ("I'll allow you to die like a warrior") and the fact that Lan Di has no apathy towards Ryo leads me to believe he's going to have a logical explanation as to why he did what he did. During the fight, I totally expect a choice box to appear that will ask if you want to kill Lan Di, or let him live when the time comes.

2. Whatever the scene/moment in the game that Yu Suzuki mentioned as the part in the series that has the most meaning to him, whatever that may be

darksniper has received a thanks from: ShenmueTree
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Yu likes to play fast and loose with the original VFRPG story. It's a potential outcome of Ryo vs Lan Di, but that's all.

If I remember correctly, during some interview didn' t Yu say something like "Shenmue 3 is the end of this part of the story but not the end of THE story" I might have dreamed that, but if it happened it definitely falls in line with Ryo defeating Lan Di in Shenmue 3.

My personal prediction is
Ryo fights Lan Di, Lan Di has upper hand but makes a mistake, Ryo gains upper hand and defeats Lan Di, but decides against killing him. Ryo then feels lost, he's wasted 2 years of his life. He sets out on a new journey and discovers that there's so much he didn't understand before, about Lan Di, about the mirrors, about his father.

Personally, I don't think Lan Di will turn out to be evil. The ways he does things is wrong, but the reasons for them is not.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:55 am

ShenmueTree wrote:

If I remember correctly, during some interview didn' t Yu say something like "Shenmue 3 is the end of this part of the story but not the end of THE story" I might have dreamed that, but if it happened it definitely falls in line with Ryo defeating Lan Di in Shenmue 3.

Yu Suzuki definitely said this. I think it was during Gamescom, but I can't seem to find the interview anywhere.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby adom11800 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:46 am

darksniper wrote:
adom11800 wrote: ^ So is that pretty much confirmed we will fight Lan Di and actually defeat him? Is that Lan Di Ryo is carrying at the 10th picture in the chapter concept art? Man.

I think it's Lan Di. But the general consensus believes that it's Ren and I can see how. This is pure speculation on my part, but I have a gut feeling that Lan Di will become an ally at some point during the series and he's going die in some noble sacrifice. Why else would Shenmue II push the narrative of Ryo forgiving Lan Di so much during the game?

There's two things that I'm looking forward to about Shenmue III

1. The conversation between Ryo and Lan Di when they finally confront each other. Given the fact that Lan Di knows that Ryo is after him, and also that he killed Iwao in somewhat honorable fashion ("I'll allow you to die like a warrior") and the fact that Lan Di has no apathy towards Ryo leads me to believe he's going to have a logical explanation as to why he did what he did. During the fight, I totally expect a choice box to appear that will ask if you want to kill Lan Di, or let him live when the time comes.

2. Whatever the scene/moment in the game that Yu Suzuki mentioned as the part in the series that has the most meaning to him, whatever that may be

Yeah man, it's exciting times :) I also thought at first that it was Ren who Ryo was carrying. Something different is very likely to happen rather then Ryo defeats Lan Di and that's it. Others are saying Ryo might beat him in Shenmue 3 but I find that hard to believe sorry to say. Can't wait for Shenmue III though, jesus...
adom11800

Previous

Return to Shenmue III