Anyone disappointed with Shenmue 3 cartoon-like graphics

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Anyone disappointed with Shenmue 3 cartoon-like graphics

Postby xatruio » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:43 am

Mr. Frozen wrote:That is what I am expecting of Shenmue III. The current graphics that they shown to the public is very disappointing, to say the least.

wholeheartedly disagree, but "thanks" anyway cuz it is MR-FUCKING-FROZEN.

much love!!!
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Robfozz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 am

If we're talking about graphics, I'd say the they're actually quite good. The environments and foliage are some of the best looking Ive seen in any game(at least from what theyve shown, who knows how it will end up in game). And the character models from the new studio they commissioned look great as well. Im more concerned about the animation thats going to be applied to these graphics. From what they've shown, they've proven they don't understand animation basics.
Robfozz
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Robfozz_
XBL: Robfozzz
Steam: Robfozz
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby TheThirdComing » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:20 pm

I have to say I really dig the art style, they have an almost 3D Anime look to them sort fo similar to Kingdom Hearts 3 in a way. I never had the expectation of God of War's realism but I find this is a healthy art style to match the buget of the game. I would much rather see the game flourish in artistic design with a great sense of atmosphere than focusing on realism and look stale.

The animation has been a concern, but I will say the brief clip we saw with the girl on the Survey video was a huge leap forward in that department to the point where I'm not worried about it so much, sort of eager to see a new trailer though just to settle that concern for good. But as of now I really remain confident in Shenmue 3's visuals and just hope it has enought backing to be the game Yu can feel content with.
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby WildManofBorneo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:40 pm

Mr. Frozen wrote: I wouldn't say that the graphics are cartoony, the graphics were always a bit cartoonish, it is just bad for the current year.

One of the reasons I got into Shenmue was because I was always a computer nerd and I liked how much the game pushed hardware to its limits. Shenmue III has the graphics of your typical korean MMO or phone game. It isn't impressive, and sure as shit isn't hardware pushing. A good example of a modern stylized (actually more of an idealized reality) asian game would be FFXV. I was actually genuinely amazed when I realized that his opening cutsence was being rendered in real time:

phpBB [video]

That is what I am expecting of Shenmue III. The current graphics that they shown to the public is very disappointing, to say the least.

How much did you pledge to the Kickstarter that you have set yourself up for such expectations?

Yourself being a computer nerd, you would then no doubt be aware of the difference between rendering 'in game' and 'in engine'. In case you forgot I did manage to grab some in game screens.

It seems to me there is a bit of visual discrepancy, no?
WildManofBorneo

Postby Centrale » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Robfozz wrote:Im more concerned about the animation thats going to be applied to these graphics. From what they've shown, they've proven they don't understand animation basics.

Oh, really? What do you think is more likely... that the professionals working on Shenmue III somehow have landed this job without understanding animation basics? Or that a consumer who has been shown work-in-progress footage doesn't understand what they're seeing in regards to the overall game development schedule?

Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby TheThirdComing » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:14 am

In regards to Final Fantasy XV - this comes from a long time fan and someone whom may even care about the series a little more (only little more) than Shenmue. Final Fantasy XV was a trainwreck, the story was massively inconsistent and something they're still fixing to this day after 2-3 years from release. It had brilliant graphics but there wasn't a whole lot to do - They just looked at popular Sandbox games and copied the template leading a big vast empty land with the same generic side quests (Commence Mission A, Beat Monster B & Get reward C) - I was really hoping for more involved side quests like shown in the Duscea Demo where you track down the Behemoth, sneak into it's layer and plan an attack - That mission was in the game but ti was the only of it's kind!

Rant aside, I don't want to see Shenmue fall into this trap of flowwing consumer trends, I believe Yu has the will to push his own vision of Shenmue through - While of course he can embrace some of the innovations of gaming in the last 15+ years I really don't want to play Shenmue 3 and feel it's as shallow as my experience with Final Fantasy XV was. I want to have a town/city just as rich in detail as Doubita with most of the buildings being accessible, towns people having their own daily cycle rather than just beinget pieces and mini-games that break away from the traditional gameplay formula - So classic Sega games, fishing, something different from the traditional combat of the game alone. Having a world full of life is far more important to me than graphic fidelity.
TheThirdComing

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Yu doesn't even play other games, for the precise reason that he doesn't want to be influenced by them and start following trends. While that may mean he has to reinvent the wheel on occasion, it at least ensures that everything we see is a "Suzuki solution" to whatever design challenge the game poses.

Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby life_247 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:44 am

I have been a little disappointed with the SIII screens thus far, however that last screenshot from the kickstarter update does look very nice. The main characters still have a slight wierd CGI-rubbery look to them (mostly Ryo's jacket looks like a PVC jacket rather than leather) but the colours and low bloom indoors with the fire are spot on for how I imagined a Shenmue game to look.

You have to keep in mind this is probably quite an odd way to do promotion for a game - with the Kickstarter - but I think they may be going with a strategy that only the hardcore fans will be interested so they are not doing the usual tricks to build the hype. We are probably only getting to the stage now where normal development cycles would be showing off games. Lets be honest if the first showing of the game was like that screenshot along with some of the magic monaco renders we would be in a meltdown of excitement.
life_247

Previous

Return to Shenmue III