Anyone disappointed with Shenmue 3 cartoon-like graphics

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Anyone disappointed with Shenmue 3 cartoon-like graphics

Postby darksniper » Wed May 30, 2018 1:44 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: A bit, yes. In a perfect world the Yakuza team would drop by YS net studios and do all the 3D model work for free.

I get the sense that they would have a 4K Dreamcast model Ryo done in like 10 minutes. But the Ryo we last seen is looking better. Truthfully I expect even more changes when we see the actual game in motion.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm

darksniper wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: A bit, yes. In a perfect world the Yakuza team would drop by YS net studios and do all the 3D model work for free.

I get the sense that they would have a 4K Dreamcast model Ryo done in like 10 minutes. But the Ryo we last seen is looking better. Truthfully I expect even more changes when we see the actual game in motion.

Pretty much. They are very efficient in 3D model work.

I agree. The new footage looks a lot better, mostly because of context sensitive facial expressions.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby elmatto » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:08 pm

Honestly, I prefer more stylized video games over hyper realistic ones.

You can get away with more expression and character. Shenmue straddles this a bit, and I honestly wish the game looked more like the concept art sometimes....but yeah.I'm okay with the more cartoony look it has going currently.

Though I'm still kinda not digging Ryo's squished potatoe face.

For me, the ideal is shit like team fortress or sunset overdrive. Just lots of character and expression.

elmatto has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
elmatto
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby WildManofBorneo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:44 pm

The art style hasn't really changed from the first two games except this guy has grown a mullet and now appears to be covered in a layer of grease. :mrgreen:

WildManofBorneo has received 3 thanks from: Reprise, Suzuki Yu, VukBZ2005
WildManofBorneo

Postby Haruto » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:57 pm

In my personal experience and my opinion. Typically people who only want photorealism in their games are people who lack imagination. Shenmue always had a style but it didn't fully come through in the limitations of the DC.I don't like to compare Yakuza to Shenmue but that is also a series that has NPC's look more real while the mains have a more stylized look to separate them(with some exceptions). Sorta of like using a highlighter in a notebook. Kiryu does not look like a real human nor the Korean Vergil from DMC in Yakuza 6. Ryo does not either. Nor does Ren. The style of both series is combining the realism with stylized characters. it's not an uncommon thing but some people it can only be only one or the other.

Haruto has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Verderame » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:27 am

This desire to have a photorealistic Shenmue with Yakuza-like realistic character models looks terrible and pretty misguided to me. Shenmue was made in an era when graphics were getting more advanced, but they still had a definite stylized look in them, and CG character art still had its own flavour. There's still a place for that, i'm already sick and tired of all the unnecessary photorealism, i don't want Ryo and Shenhua to look like amateur actors wearing halloween costumes in a spoof movie like they do in the Resident Evil 2 Remake, or in DMCV, for example.

Verderame has received 2 thanks from: ner0, VukBZ2005
Verderame

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby life_247 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:47 am

I actually think the biggest thing to get used to with the S3 screens are that its bright and almost over bloomed.

If you go look at (especially S1) the old games theres a weathered sort of greyness to them. Some of S2 was brighter (especially the harbour in SII) but Kowloon and even Guilin had a more natural grey sky look to them.

The Character stylisation is pretty much spot on for me, I just think the modern bloom effect graphics take some getting used to and thats what makes it look so un-shenmuey.
life_247

Postby bugmenot » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:40 pm

The reason why they look cartoonist or oily (as somebody has stated before) is because the team seems to follow the rubber styled graphics that Street Fighter V has. Both games use Unreal Engine 4:

phpBB [video]

bugmenot
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby bugmenot » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:50 pm

However, Shenmue 1 and 2 were not cartoonish. I think the designers tried to create realistic graphics (for example, the skin tones and color tones of the characters and objects) but creating characters whose physical features are not proportionate. I would say that they created realistic characters that simply are very ugly.

The image used before by somebody else illustrates very well what I am saying:

bugmenot
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:18 am

When other characters in Shenmue III look like this:

- singling out Mr Muscles as the definitive representation of Shenmue III's in-progress graphical design is a bit silly. These characters don't look like they're from Street Fighter 5, and I'd argue neither does Mr Muscles, really. He may be a big ugly bastard, but that's by design.

Ren's gang in Shenmue II, by comparison:

Even if AM2 were pushing for the most realistic graphics the world had ever seen with the originals, the manga-inspired design still runs through the characters pretty heavily, and I'd say that's more recognisable now that realism in graphics has moved on so considerably.

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: Esppiral, OL, WildManofBorneo
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:40 am

I never really thought of Shenmue as looking "realistic", even in the early 2000's. There have always been characters who were clearly manga-like or cartton-like if you will.

Chai, Doi Niu, Tom, for instance. But also to an extent Joy, Ren, Lan Di and Mario, the Pizza guy who is a straight-up hommage to Super Mario.

So Mr Muscles doesn't get me worried at all.

Hyo Razuki has received 2 thanks from: Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby WildManofBorneo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:38 am

The new Kickstarter update is out and the game is looking great!
WildManofBorneo

Postby Mr. Frozen » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:56 pm

I wouldn't say that the graphics are cartoony, the graphics were always a bit cartoonish, it is just bad for the current year.

One of the reasons I got into Shenmue was because I was always a computer nerd and I liked how much the game pushed hardware to its limits. Shenmue III has the graphics of your typical korean MMO or phone game. It isn't impressive, and sure as shit isn't hardware pushing. A good example of a modern stylized (actually more of an idealized reality) asian game would be FFXV. I was actually genuinely amazed when I realized that his opening cutsence was being rendered in real time:

phpBB [video]

That is what I am expecting of Shenmue III. The current graphics that they shown to the public is very disappointing, to say the least.

Mr. Frozen has received a thanks from: xatruio
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SledgeNE » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:05 am

FF 15 had a bigger Budget. But this looks great and Uncharted 4 too. I like the graphic-style in Shenmue III. The clouds, smoke-animation from the survey-video for example. It doesn't look artificial it looks real. I looking forward to the day where Shenmue III will finally fully revealed.
SledgeNE

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:40 am

Suzuki said we shouldn't expect AAA graphics. This game doesn't have a big budget so they can't aim for last gen graphics.

I was very impressed when Shenmue 1 came out but, in my opinion, Shenmue 3 graphics are very nice, with lots of details and it has that Sega old times feeling, handcrafted.
I'm fully satisfied with current graphics and I'm sure when they show a real trailer we are going to be blown away.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III