Update #85: Survey Info #2: $7M stretch goal reached!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Update #85: Survey Info #2: $7M stretch goal reached!

Postby TheThirdComing » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:10 am

punkmanced wrote: ^ Well, the update did mention this:

"PC & PS4 Physical Version Disc Data

We would like to address the many inquiries concerning the physical version disc data. Development is moving forward to have all necessary data to play the game contained on the disc. Please rest assured that the disc will not be just a prompt for an internet download."

...which nudged me toward including the physical PC version as well. Seems like the real deal.

Oh neat, so in theory - if I have Steam installed on an offline PC and put the disc in it should work? I ask this becasue I have a lounge PC and then a more professional PC which I could run actually this on, but I keep that one offline entirely.
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby johnvivant » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:32 am

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:
KidMarine wrote:
O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:
BlackHeaven wrote: What do the Kanji say? Curious!

Well, I'm going by my knowledge of Chinese here, but 打開 means "to open". On the right side, we have 敵, which simply means "enemy". Obviously, it just means that's that particular enemy's health bar. I do wonder about that "open" thing, though...

I wonder if "open" refers to Ryo's stance in the bubble to the left. Maybe you can shift to different stances to pull off different moves.

Well, again, I'm going by my knowledge of Chinese, so it could be different in Japanese, but 打開 is not an adjective (as in "open stance") but rather a verb, "to open".
So, the most likely thing that comes to my mind is that that's some kind of prompt, so common in videogames, like, when you approach a box/door/whatever, you get an on-screen prompt saying "open".
The thing is, in that screenshot Ryo doesn't seem to be anywhere near an object that could be opened. But maybe, amidst all that action and movement, Ryo did approach something that could be opened and, by the time this screen was captured, the prompt still hadn't gone away.
This is exciting, because, to me, this hints to some degree of interactivity with the background during battles. Maybe we'll see something a bit closer to a classic Jackie Chan fight scene, with doors, tables, chairs and whatnot being integrated into the fight? I mean, Yu Suzuki keeps saying how much of a fan he is of Chinese/Hong Kong martial arts flicks and he once, when talking about this AI Battling thing, gave the example of Ryo jumping against a wall and then use the momentum from his jump back towards the enemy to kick him (you know, that classic martial arts movie move).

Speaking of the HUD, while it's likely that the HUD will suffer some changes before the final version (they always seem to do), I'm quite happy to see that they're going for something in the same vein as the original games, just with a new-gen, HD, cleaner look. It's small things like these that really help giving us that feeling that, yep, this is a bona-fide sequel of the game we loved. That sense of familiarity, even 20 years later.

the individual kanjis mean - strike, open.
but according to jisho.org when combined it means
だかい - dakai - 'break in the deadlock​'

so maybe this is an indication of a successful counter attack. ie. the opponent grappled Ryo and he successfully executed a strike reversal. just guessing, best to wait for the switch translation.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Reprise » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:18 am

Regarding the PC release, I'm still confused how they can claim all the data will be on the disc. PC games are released on DVDs and usually just unpack an installation that downloads the majority of the data. PCs didn't adopt blu rays like consoles did. Maybe it'll come packed with 10 DVDs :P

Any PC gamers here have any ideas? I mostly stopped PC gaming about a decade ago and just download the odd steam game now and again these days. Maybe I've missed something.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Tosh » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:29 am

Reprise wrote: Regarding the PC release, I'm still confused how they can claim all the data will be on the disc. PC games are released on DVDs and usually just unpack an installation that downloads the majority of the data. PCs didn't adopt blu rays like consoles did. Maybe it'll come packed with 10 DVDs :P

Any PC gamers here have any ideas? I mostly stopped PC gaming about a decade ago and just download the odd steam game now and again these days. Maybe I've missed something.

its pretty unlikely these days, but there are still Pc games where you have a lot of the data on the disc.
GTA 5 came with 7 discs. so you had like 55 GB without any download but you had to download
the final 5-7 GB.

so it can be done, if the publisher wants to. but its way "easier" to just put a steam setup.exe
and a game code in the box.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Reprise » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:40 am

Interesting. So it sounds like they will go the GTAV route and will have a ridiculous number of DVDs. Well that's pretty cool if true. I'm surprised, because physical media does seem fairly redundant now for PC games, much as I love physical media with consoles.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:56 am

Maybe they print on the dvds the face of Ryo, Shenhua, Lan Di...as they did with the Dreamcast version. It'd be cool.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:49 am

I'm saving up for my next payday so I have a cushion to go ahead and up to the $450 tier, if it is still available by then.

Surprised they didn't confirm participation at Gamescom, but I've got a good feeling they are going to do that on August 3rd, similar to SEGAs reveal of 1+2's release date trailer.

This community astounds me. I've followed many Kickstarters, but I've never seen any pull in that much money last minute via Slacker Backer. I'm wagering a lot of people upgraded their pledges.

I honestly feel it will blow through to $7.5 million before it ends, granting us the fully fleshed out combat system which is what I really wanted.

Yeah, we were probably going to get it anyway,(they cant say that because nobody would continue to contribute) but if the area expansion goals beyond are funded by DS, then reaching the High Ground System means we get the fully realized experience.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: WildManofBorneo
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:21 pm

...As long as those people don't forget to actually buy [a few] copies at launch as well ;-)
Remember folks, the game has yet to sell a single copy as things stand.

Re: the PC version. Their wording seems to indicate that the game is included on the actual disc (discs?). If it isn't, then it's a PR fuck up on their part (as well as a bummer for us; this was why I pulled the trigger on my second pre-order pledge in the first place).
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby adom11800 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:49 pm

A serious well done to the fans, I wasn't expecting this as well as this quickly!
Now, a trailer and gameplay at gamescom would be amazing.

adom11800 has received a thanks from: WildManofBorneo
adom11800

Postby ManoTemple » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:01 pm

punkmanced wrote: ...As long as those people don't forget to actually buy [a few] copies at launch as well ;-)

Re: the PC version. Their wording seems to indicate that the game is included on the actual disc (discs?). If it isn't, then it's a PR fuck up on their part (as well as a bummer for us; this was why I pulled the trigger on my second pre-order pledge in the first place).

I just upped by pledge, and will be purchasing two copies at launch. \:D/

ManoTemple has received a thanks from: WildManofBorneo
ManoTemple
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby PILMAN » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:44 pm

TheThirdComing wrote:
punkmanced wrote: ^ Well, the update did mention this:

"PC & PS4 Physical Version Disc Data

We would like to address the many inquiries concerning the physical version disc data. Development is moving forward to have all necessary data to play the game contained on the disc. Please rest assured that the disc will not be just a prompt for an internet download."

...which nudged me toward including the physical PC version as well. Seems like the real deal.

Oh neat, so in theory - if I have Steam installed on an offline PC and put the disc in it should work? I ask this becasue I have a lounge PC and then a more professional PC which I could run actually this on, but I keep that one offline entirely.

there was indication you would need a internet connection for updates and to redeem the exclusive items but it wasnt clear if internets needed to install the base game. The fact the game is on the disk then I assume internet wouldnt be needed since it doesnt specify activation.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby WildManofBorneo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:32 pm

ManoTemple wrote:
punkmanced wrote: ...As long as those people don't forget to actually buy [a few] copies at launch as well ;-)

I just upped by pledge, and will be purchasing two copies at launch. \:D/

Keep those pledges coming!!
WildManofBorneo

Postby Switch » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:06 pm

johnvivant wrote:the individual kanjis mean - strike, open.
but according to jisho.org when combined it means
だかい - dakai - 'break in the deadlock​'

so maybe this is an indication of a successful counter attack. ie. the opponent grappled Ryo and he successfully executed a strike reversal.

Great theory!
johnvivant wrote:best to wait for the switch translation.

Haha, well you guys have already nailed the meaning of the characters. I did manage to discover a couple more links with Bajiquan which you may find interesting. The research took longer than I expected, there wasn't a lot of easily-available information on it.

Link to post: http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2018/0 ... scene.html

Switch has received 6 thanks from: Centrale, Hazuki00, Jibby, SheepheadCG, SledgeNE, The_Intruder
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Previous

Return to Shenmue III