Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby OL » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:17 am

ShenBlue92 wrote: I’m not into developing , I know almost nothing about it, but do you guys think it would be possible for them to apply some sort of graphic filter? Something like 2-3 types of filter we can select + the original look.
I’m saying this because I can see that a lot of pixels are still very low quality, and maybe Playing with filtering and a new light system might help.

I don’t know, but I’m thinking about Life is Strange, which isn’t impressive when it comes to details and graphics, but it has that “wallpainting” kind of filter that improves the visuals a lot

Typically a filter doesn't actually improve anything, so much as just alter it in some way. Shenmue 2X had a variety of filters already; black and white, sepia, that kind of thing. I haven't seen this Life is Strange one, so I'm not sure how that affects things, but I will say that if the textures look low quality in Shenmue HD, it's simply because that's how the uncompressed textures were to begin with, and no amount of upscaling or filtering is necessarily going to make things better.
Probably the only way to change something like that would be to go back into the texture files and "redraw" them, so to speak, to make them sharper. Much more difficult than a filter, unfortunately. I think a bit of that was done with the FFXII remaster, but I'm not sure if it's really fair to expect that kind of work out of a Shenmue remaster versus a Final Fantasy one.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:40 am

Typically a filter doesn't actually improve anything, so much as just alter it in some way. Shenmue 2X had a variety of filters already; black and white, sepia, that kind of thing. I haven't seen this Life is Strange one, so I'm not sure how that affects things, but I will say that if the textures look low quality in Shenmue HD, it's simply because that's how the uncompressed textures were to begin with, and no amount of upscaling or filtering is necessarily going to make things better.
Probably the only way to change something like that would be to go back into the texture files and "redraw" them, so to speak, to make them sharper. Much more difficult than a filter, unfortunately. I think a bit of that was done with the FFXII remaster, but I'm not sure if it's really fair to expect that kind of work out of a Shenmue remaster versus a Final Fantasy one.

No, there are a lot of post processing effects that can alter a lot how the game looks, there are a ton of games that offer "retrofilters" to pixelate the game:
These are screenspace, so they can be very expensive and look very off depending on the scene, but it's very possible.

But I don't think any of these will benefit Shenmue, the best will probably replace some of the textures that are low resolution and tileable and use heavy use of anisotropic filtering and good AA (maybe some DOF), some of the grounds look very bad (sadly guilin looks like a garbled mess in some parts).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby BlueMue » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:16 am

Shenmue always had a very sharp look to it and that's part of its identity so I wouldn't overdo it with filtering.

Of course these things are always an option and the Xbox version already had some, even though they were only about the color and pretty much worthless. A bit more anti aliasing and maybe some proper mipmaps with good anisotrope filtering is already enough to clean up the look. Hope these are possible on all platforms, the former sure is on PC.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:01 pm

I'm hyped. Shenmue II with less loading time will be glorious.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:23 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: I'm hyped. Shenmue II with less loading time will be glorious.

Indeed, I am thinking the PC version on a solid state hard drive is going to force me to change out pants
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kiske » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:05 am

Phantom River Stone just posted a tweet about "a livestream from Sega Japan starting at 12:30pm BST, recapping the recent SEGA FES event. It promises the latest info on Shenmue I & II and others."

https://twitter.com/phantom_river/statu ... 4616079360

phpBB [video]

Kiske has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Kyo_JP » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:21 am

Kiske wrote: Phantom River Stone just posted a tweet about "a livestream from Sega Japan starting at 12:30pm BST, recapping the recent SEGA FES event. It promises the latest info on Shenmue I & II and others."

https://twitter.com/phantom_river/statu ... 4616079360

phpBB [video]

It is like if they filled a "Nintendo Direct" kind of idea with low budget japanese comical sketches. It is the weirdest thing I have ever saw.
Kyo_JP
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Andykara2003 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:02 pm

I can't help thinking there's a kind of retro charm in playing these on a Dreamcast with a good 4:3 CRT. Not to everyone's taste though and I can see appreciate that. Nostalgia is also a factor of course..
Andykara2003
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Niowiad » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Andykara2003 wrote: I can't help thinking there's a kind of retro charm in playing these on a Dreamcast with a good 4:3 CRT. Not to everyone's taste though and I can see appreciate that. Nostalgia is also a factor of course..

Well I think that's normal. I'd also play any old game on its original system if it wasn't that impractical :-k

Especially the 8bit and 16bit era videogames :)
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades

Postby SledgeNE » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:23 am

I was VERY surprised about the release-date. I like that. And that the Mini-Games and Coke-Drinks are still in, that's very cool. After Shenmue II i never replayed a Shenmue-Game. It's good to replay it again and listen to Corey Marshall's Voice again. I watch the Movie-Version of Shenmue I from the XBox Copy and i try to think how the gameplay will be look and work in UE4. Man, this will be awesome to see. 8)
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby darksniper » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 am

OL wrote:
ShenBlue92 wrote: I’m not into developing , I know almost nothing about it, but do you guys think it would be possible for them to apply some sort of graphic filter? Something like 2-3 types of filter we can select + the original look.
I’m saying this because I can see that a lot of pixels are still very low quality, and maybe Playing with filtering and a new light system might help.

I don’t know, but I’m thinking about Life is Strange, which isn’t impressive when it comes to details and graphics, but it has that “wallpainting” kind of filter that improves the visuals a lot

Life Is Strange is one of the most unique experiences I've played in a while. Out of all games that's released since Shenmue came out, this is the game that reminds me of it the most. Especially in terms of being able to interact to nearly everything in the room. Outside of the cheesy emo dialogue, it definitely has its charm to it in the way that it has an underlying mystique in the storytelling. I think Shenmue III is going to have a very similar pace and cadence to LiS with a more combat centric gameplay.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby csmakio » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:49 am

those steam achievements though XD
csmakio
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: csmakio
Favorite title: Shenmue

Previous