Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:47 pm

New video with Imran Yusuf and Adam Koralik apparently due to drop tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/imranyusuf/status/985220196783669248

Painmaster212 wrote: So a quick question about the game graphics. Are they remastered in HD or is this a port upscaled? I keep seeing conflicting reports.

According to Adam Koralik's video they will be in 1080p. So, HD. A HD remaster.

Not a remake, which is what the likes of Crash, Spyro, SotC are.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Master Mo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:17 pm

I`m so glad this is finally happening. I think overall SEGA seems to handle it pretty well, not just game-wise but also the announcement itself with how it is unveiled, the trailer and the hashtag showing people that these initiatives do have an impact on big corporations like SEGA.

I`m very curious on how the new control-scheme will feel like in Shenmue. I`m so accustomed to move Ryo like a car, which holding a button for acceleration and steering with face buttons essentially is, that it is going to be weird to have it any other way but I´m definitely gonna try it. Having an option is never a bad thing. Same goes for screen size.

The new logo I`m kinda liking. I still prefer the original but this seems to simplify it while still keeping the same style. Miles better then the papyrus and the new Shenmue III one!
Master Mo
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Rico » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:20 pm

YES, FINALLY. I hope it will be possible transfer the save file to Shenmue 3. It's a pity they changed the logo.
Rico
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Hurrah!
O Rei do Frango Assado
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ys » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:19 pm

jasonorme666 wrote: PC gamer posted

"One big question is how the old graphics will be upgraded for the PC release: What the games will scale to, how (or if) the textures have been upgraded, and what PC-specific options will be supported."

Years ago I read an interview with Yu where he mentioned that the game assets were created in higher resolutions than what we saw in the game. This was done "in case of" so to speak.

Painmaster212 wrote: So a quick question about the game graphics. Are they remastered in HD or is this a port upscaled? I keep seeing conflicting reports.

I'm not sure how you define "remastering in HD" versus "upscaling a port"? Would changing textures be remastering in your view? I work with audio (similar principle for graphics/video) where remastering is generally altering a finished product to make it more polished or playable on different systems. In this case the games will run at a higher resolution with added language options and different control schemes,... So it seems to be more of a remaster than a straight port.

ys has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Sokora » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:28 pm

Never thought Id see the day where we would be expecting part 3 and HD versions on newer consoles. I’m not as passionate about the series as I was 15 years ago but it's still a satisting end to a very long wait

Sokora has received a thanks from: cham69
Sokora
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:33 pm

I'd like to see the scene where Ryo gets off the boat in Shenmue 2. His shoes have significantly more polygons in the Xbox version than the Dreamcast version, and I'd like to see if it's been improved any more than that.

BlueCreeperBoy12 has received a thanks from: Axm
BlueCreeperBoy12

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Peter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:58 pm

About the shoes, and perhaps Bluemue can answer...

from the shot in the trailer of Ryo standing in Yokosuka Harbour, can you tell from his shoes or jacket if it is indeed the updated model from the Xbox?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:02 pm

Not BlueMue but the footage and screens from the original Shenmue still seem to be using Ryo's model from that game.

Ryo's model in the Shenmue II footage/screens appears to be from the Xbox, or at least the textures. You can see it on the detailing on his collar in this shot:

Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:29 pm

drunkensailor wrote: adam koralik is one of the most useless youtubers I can think of.

Don't know about Adam, but I'd say that drunkensailor is one of the most useless guys I can think of when it comes to predictions. :D

Wude-Tang Clan has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Spaghetti
Wude-Tang Clan

Postby OL » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:39 am

ys wrote:

I'm not sure how you define "remastering in HD" versus "upscaling a port"?

I've always figured "upscaling" is simply what, for example, the old "fat" PS3s did with PS1 and PS2 games; it output them into a higher resolution, and nothing else. Nothing was changed about how they function or appear; any aliasing or blurriness in textures and edges is still going to be apparent. The only difference is that they're being output into 720 or 1080p, which only serves to make them a bit clearer on modern screens (whereas something output in the original 480p would need to be stretched to fit a modern screen, and therefore would come out a bit blurrier).

A "remaster" takes the original game files and actually puts work into smoothing out edges, decompressing textures to make them less pixelated, opening the edges of the screen up to allow for true widescreen format, etc. Essentially, a remaster takes the original archival material and spruces it up a bit to take advantage of the fact that it's now running on stronger hardware. Occasionally they may also alter mechanics in some slight way to make them more "playable" for modern times (such as in the case of the Final Fantasy XII one, which allowed you to literally speed up combat at the press of a button).

There are also "gradations" between the two, I guess you could say. The "PS2 on PS4" line on the Playstation store, for example, takes old PS2 games and basically runs them on an emulator to make edges smoother and output them into higher resolutions, but it does nothing to change aspect ratios or decompress textures or anything like that. They work with the material that would be on the game disc, but they don't actually mess around with the original archival data from during the games' development, and they have no way of fundamentally altering things like gameplay or display aspects. So in that respect, they lie somewhere between being "upscaled" and "remastered."

I'd say these Shenmue ones do count as genuine remasters. Smoother graphics and widescreen capability, sure, but they're also updating button prompts to match whatever system they're played on, they're including alternate control methods, dual-language options, hopefully including the time-skip in Shenmue 1 (fingers crossed), etc. They're taking the original development materials and creating a new package out of it.
So yeah, genuine remaster.

OL has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby drunkensailor » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 am

Wude-Tang Clan wrote:
drunkensailor wrote: adam koralik is one of the most useless youtubers I can think of.

Don't know about Adam, but I'd say that drunkensailor is one of the most useless guys I can think of when it comes to predictions. :D

I did indeed miss predict the hd remakes.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:16 am

idk even whether to finish my current dreamcast playthrough or hold off for this

guess I'll have to play both
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Didnt Adam say that he would have a new video up today talking about what he played? All I’ve seen is his video with a few extra details about the announcement.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby SquallAdv » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:59 pm

Shenmue Revolution!!!! :mrgreen:

I'm so happy right now... Still can't believe all our Shenmue dreams has come true... Together we can achieve ANYTHING!

Love you guys! Thank You, YU & SEGA!! :heart:
SquallAdv

PSN: CharlesLord
Steam: SquallAdv

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release